True Detective.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^Exactly.
2 years ago, before Dallas Buyer's Club and True Detective, not many folks thought McConaughey was all that special an actor.

Farrell was HILARIOUS in In Bruges (and won a deserved Golden Globe for his work), and while he may have a limited range as a dramatic actor, his particular brand of dark brooding seems to fit the tone of this show pretty well.

Agreed. I'm torn on if I'll watch it or not. I liked the first season well enough but was not in love with it like many were.

I may skip it and just watch later if everyone and their sisters think it's awesome.

^Exactly.
2 years ago, before Dallas Buyer's Club and True Detective, not many folks thought McConaughey was all that special an actor.

Hmm. That may be true, and it's true that he's been in some really corny movies, I don't really fault him or his characters as they were just that: mainly light goofy characters in light goofy romantic comedies etc. I don't know all the reasons why an actor with his clearly considerable talent would appear in them, and for so long, but whatever. I also recall a few movies of his that were certainly enjoyable.

Farrell, on the other hand, has been trying so hard for so long in truly stinker movies which try so hard to be important riveting dramas and imo fail miserably almost every time. He's really bad imo. :shrug:

Musical analogy would be...Bono vs....Scott Stapp? Lol

Sent from my ass crack

The writing was good last season, as was the direction. Good writing and direction can squeeze some great performances out of minor talent. I'm not concerned about the cast.

I've never really watched an anthology series before, and for shows that I do watch, I tend to get attached to the characters. McConaughey was just so goddamn mesmerizing last season that I'm not sure any actor/character could measure up. I have the same fear for the next season of Fargo.

Solid start, felt a bit scattered with so many isolated characters but it was great to see them together at the end. Hoping for some good interactions coming up.

-The last 20 minutes felt like leftover scenes from Mulholland Dr, Lost Highway and Fire Walk With Me slapped together. The last shot was framed really well and ended the episode on a high note, but as a whole it was still dull, ceaselessly grim and messy.

-Rachel McAdams is hot and all, but her character seems almost entirely unlikable.

-It only took 45 minutes for Farrell to go completely bonkers and threaten to buttfuck some kid's dad.

-David Morse plays Don Draper, shortly after the finale.

-Why was Farrell's kid cast as a fat redhead?

-If you drive faster than 60 MPH on a motorcycle, you wince as your face flaps in the breeze.

Last edited:
Peef was the true detective all along!

Well, now I have no reason to watch.

Last edited:
So far, this seems to be missing what made the first one great: intense location atmospherics that serve the story, weirdo metaphysics, and two a-list actors working at the very top of their game.

But, hey, it's early.

The bar scene with Trent Walker and Alexander the Great was incredibly well lit -- so much so that it felt like a different show. I was like, "oh, right, this is True Detective." Because for a bit it was fairly indistinguishable from any other reasonably competent basic cable cop drama.

But, hey, it's early.

I like the lady cop the best so far.

I missed some of the introduction of her character because I was too busy cringing at the horrid dialogue of her opening scene with her boyfriend.

I'm a fan of Colin Farrell as well as David Morse, but last season fumbled at the goal line, and as Lance mentioned they lost a really strong director.

I'll be skipping this unless people start recommending it strongly.

I love David Morse, but not since Korean Hugo Weaving have I laughed so hard at a casting decision.

Back
Top Bottom