True Detective.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. My heart was fucking pounding out of my chest for those last 20 minutes or so. Holy fuck that was intense. What an episode.

It was all a bit in the same tone as what we'd seen before, which is still great, but then once Rust walks in to the biker bar (biker party? biker club meeting?) !!!

Fuck man, even with the narrative structure that obviously tells us that both of our leads survive this shit, I'm sitting here on the edge of everything. And it goes up in flames once the shot is fired and Rust has to run for his life. Stunning sequence. I finished the episode like a half hour ago and haven't stopped thinking about it.

Jesus. That was some fucking next level shit. Good for all the guys involved in this show. Good work. Good for us. Four more episodes? Yes, please.

Mondo's 'True Detective' poster depicts devil's nest all around

true-detective-mondo-poster-full-hbo.jpg

Not super nuts about this one but the fact that they got the license is encouraging.

Well, that ending exposed the Breaking Bad compound attack for the over-the-top bullshit that it was.

And when the camera goes over the fence? WHAT. THE.

Man, when Rust is walking around that abandoned school. That shit is just creepy as hell.

Loved how the episode opened, with the conclusion of the "hunt" and Rust and Marty lying through their teeth with such skill.

Fucking heavy. This show is so good. I don't want to get too detailed about predictions and what not because I'll probably be wrong, but I'll just say that I think Rust is being wrongly accused and he has probably stayed on the case all these years and is steps ahead of everyone and is one of the great TV characters to come along in a while.

Well, that ending exposed the Breaking Bad compound attack for the over-the-top bullshit that it was.

And when the camera goes over the fence? WHAT. THE.

I'm a huge fan of most of the formal choices of both series, though comparing the work of a more classical television production with multiple writers/directors with one that has a set writer/director is wildly unfair. I see where you're coming from with the criticism, but what does it add to the conversation?

Personally, I'll take the abrupt Breaking Bad shoot-out over the elaborate True Detective segment. Again, both are tremendously impressive, but the tension brought on by the frustratingly inevitability of characters you've followed for 5 seasons biting it vs. one sequence of mostly anonymous hoods -- and a character who you know will survive -- tip the scales in Breaking Bad's favor.

I've started to warm to the series as Woody's character has fallen further into piles of his own shit. There's a Liberty Valance-type mythmaking at play here that's hella intriguing against a Dragon Tattoo-esque "men who hate women" sub-narrative; I just wish there was more levity amidst all of the nihilism. I love the framing device & breaks that Woody/McConaughey make in conveying or withholding "key" information, like GAF points out.

Hopefully gonna catch Ep. 5 tonight after work.

True Detective.

And while I have heard more than one person echo YLB's sentiment regarding wanting more levity, I for one am glad there is none. Don't need it, plenty of other places to get it, past or present. IN MY OPINION.

Also, while I certainly enjoyed the True Detective shoot-out more than Breaking Bad's, I for the life of me cannot understand what one thing has to do with the other.

Lastly, agreed with GAF that Rust wandering the abandoned school was eerie as fuck.

True Detective.

And while I have heard more than one person echo YLB's sentiment regarding wanting more levity, I for one am glad there is none. Don't need it, plenty of other places to get it, past or present. IN MY OPINION.

Also, while I certainly enjoyed the True Detective shoot-out more than Breaking Bad's, I for the life of me cannot understand what one thing has to do with the other.

Lastly, agreed with GAF that Rust wandering the abandoned school was eerie as fuck.

Things Laz dislikes need to be discussed whenever applicable. Or whenever notsomuch. 'Ference law dictates.

I think there's certainly some levity in the relationship between Rust and Martin, beyond that the tone is pitch perfect in my mind. And while I'm not usually big on flashbacks, how much they're screwing with the unreliable narrator of what the interviewers are hearing vs what they're revealing to the audience is the highlight of the whole thing for me. Well, besides Rust's speechifying that is.

Also, it's been blatant that they were suspicious that he was behind the more recent crime they've hinted at all along right, that wasn't just me? Some people elsewhere seem to be reacting to this week's episode with a WHAT A TWIST mentality, which seems like they weren't paying attention.

Still wondering if the satanism thing is a red herring, each week we get a bit that would suggest there's something to it and don't hear any more.

Back
Top Bottom