'Treme'..... A new series on HBO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Glee is gleeful

I've been out of the series for some time now.

As for that quote, not my words,
I am still waiting to find out what Treme will be, there are some things I like, and couple of things that kind of annoy me.

But I am going to just ride it out for awhile.
I stayed with John from Cincinnati until the end.

Agreed, but the best shows are often the ones ignored, like Friday Night Lights and The Wire.

It also took them 5 years to give any major awards to 24, the Golden Globes awarded Kiefer Sutherland Best Actor in the middle of day 1, for once they were hip to something impressive, not just populist.

Perhaps Simon's work is no longer confined to a niche/cult interest.

I believe you are right.. finally! Maybe this show will get some emmy's not that I really care but sheesh The Wire got shafted when that show clearly deserved it.

Agreed, but the best shows are often the ones ignored, like Friday Night Lights and The Wire.

Friday Night Lights has certainly been well-received, but nowhere near the level of The Wire. And the political-social concerns of Simon's show certainly make it the most important unawarded work of television in quite some time.

The answer, sadly, is pretty obvious: the cast and focus of the story was largely African-American.

I don't think that Treme is necessarily going to fare any better with the (however subconsciously) prejudiced Emmy voters, because the main characters are, again, for the most part black. I guess this time around you have a couple more white characters (The Wire only had McNulty and Tommy Carcetti in large roles) but I'm not sure it will be enough.

And the political-social concerns of Simon's show certainly make it the most important unawarded work of television in quite some time.

67611_video-243075-new-york-comic-con-2008-chris-carter-talks-x-files.jpg

"...the fuck?"

I'm psyched to catch up with this when I get back home and have cable.

The fact that FNL isn't advancing the creators views on the socio-political climate its characters live in doesn't negate the quality that it brings, I am a huge Wire fan but the show's wit for me does make it slightly less naturalistic than the way the characters develop on FNL. They're pretty much my two favorites, and I admit that because of less interference by the network and the sheer advance planning of David Simon that the Wire's entire plot-line is more well-formed on the long-term. However, FNL is for my money the most impressive emotional-arc TV season in recent memory.

You know I was bullshitting you, right? The picture of Chris "Eternally Ripped" Carter was too awesome not to post.

The Emmy's blow almost every year.

Anyone still watching this? I dig it.

I lol'd at the line: "I played Portland. Nice folks. D'you know they clap on the 1 and the 3?"

:lol: Awesome.

You know I was bullshitting you, right? The picture of Chris "Eternally Ripped" Carter was too awesome not to post.

The Emmy's blow almost every year.

That's Carter looking back at the clusterfuck that has been the last three seasons of The X-Files.

Back to topic, not feeling Treme yet, but a David Simon show can be reviewed only when a full season is seen. I'm sure it will pick up.

I like this show a lot. Every week it sucks me in more and more.

I won't compare it to The Wire cos few things stand up to that sort of comparison.

Yes, elaborate on which few shows compare favorably to The Wire.

Well, not sure what a TV critic would say, and certainly there are series that are acclaimed that I've never seen (Law & Order for instance), but for me:

Deadwood
M*A*S*H*
Hill Street Blues
All in the Family
Seinfeld

Honorable mention

St Elsewhere
Larry Sanders show

I don't know if it's fair to lump comedies into the list, but, these represent the shows I've seen in my life that rival The Wire regardless of genre. I'd have included Arrested Development but, much as I love the show, 2 amazing seasons and a decent 3rd season doesn't quite cut it.

Again, this is highly personal and I don't claim that this is "fact", just my take.

Interesting. For me, The Wire stands apart from everything else I've seen on the small screen. That doesn't mean that it's the best show I've ever seen or that I enjoyed it more than any other, but I've never seen a better written show about a political topic. I never once thought that is was heavy handed or turned a character into a puppet piece for an ideology.

There are shows that i've liked better, but I'm still amazed by The Wire.

Back
Top Bottom