Top Gun: Discussion Forum - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:10 PM
not at all, I find it kind of refreshing...
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton



See, while you were thinking about this stuff, I was looking at Kelly.

Perv.


this comment blends perfectly into another theory: is Top Gun a straight minstrel show?
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 08:10 PM
__________________
Justin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




this comment blends perfectly into another theory: is Top Gun a straight minstrel show?


Hmmm. How do you mean?
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:10 PM
I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?




__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?





Homophobe.







__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton




Hmmm. How do you mean?


in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #38
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?




Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,693
Local Time: 10:10 PM
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.


Well that was my question. Have we decided then that Top Gun is a gay movie pretending to be straight?

Or is like brokeback mountain in which the actors are secretly gay in real life, but causing a stir by playing openly gay figures on screen?
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver


I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 10:10 PM
The title of the movie is Top Gun, after all.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
The title of the movie is Top Gun, after all.


this just keeps getting better and better
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver


Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."


i keep a document of great Interference quotes that i want to save and remember. i haven't added to it in a while, mostly because FYM has gone way downhill in recent months.

this quote is going in that document.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver


Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."

Paul?

Paul is that you? I thought we said we would never tell anyone about that?
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com