Top Gun: Discussion Forum - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 PM
not at all, I find it kind of refreshing...

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

See, while you were thinking about this stuff, I was looking at Kelly.

Perv.

this comment blends perfectly into another theory: is Top Gun a straight minstrel show?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this comment blends perfectly into another theory: is Top Gun a straight minstrel show?

Hmmm. How do you mean?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?

Homophobe.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Hmmm. How do you mean?

in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #38
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."
Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.

Well that was my question. Have we decided then that Top Gun is a gay movie pretending to be straight?

Or is like brokeback mountain in which the actors are secretly gay in real life, but causing a stir by playing openly gay figures on screen?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

The title of the movie is Top Gun, after all.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
The title of the movie is Top Gun, after all.

this just keeps getting better and better
Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

i keep a document of great Interference quotes that i want to save and remember. i haven't added to it in a while, mostly because FYM has gone way downhill in recent months.

this quote is going in that document.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Paul?

Paul is that you? I thought we said we would never tell anyone about that?