Top Gun: Discussion Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dalton said:

See, while you were thinking about this stuff, I was looking at Kelly.

Perv.

this comment blends perfectly into another theory: is Top Gun a straight minstrel show?

I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?

:tongue:

Dalton said:

Hmmm. How do you mean?

in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.

:shh:

joyfulgirl said:
I saw Top Gun once, in the theatre in 1986. I barely remember it. What I'm wondering is how the guys in this thread (besides Irvine) know this movie so intimately. Multiple viewings, perhaps? Is Interference the gayest straight forum ever?

:tongue:

Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."

Irvine511 said:

in a minstrel show, white people dress in blackface and perform stereotypical impersonations of black people.

in Top Gun, gay people dress in straightface and perform steroetypical impersionations of straight people?

the rub -- heh-heh -- being that only a white person could perform a black stereotype so thoroughly, and hatefully; likewise, only a gay person could perform a straight stereotype so thoroughly, and ... well, maybe not hate, but certainly mockery.

yes, we make fun of you people behind your backs.

but don't tell anyone.

:shh:

Well that was my question. Have we decided then that Top Gun is a gay movie pretending to be straight?

Or is like brokeback mountain in which the actors are secretly gay in real life, but causing a stir by playing openly gay figures on screen?

UberBeaver said:

I didn't notice any gay overtones until much later, when Quentin Tarantino pointed it out. I think, however, by that time, I knew the movie sucked. Yeah, that's correct, I did, cause I remember saying to my friend Brian once, while he was rubbing my back with baby oil, "Wow, this really IS gay" and he was like, "No, no it's not, man, why you gotta, can two friends just sit around and rub - ", and then I pointed at the TV cause Top Gun was on and I said, "Whoa man, chill, I'm talking 'bout Top Gun" and he was all, "Oh, yeah. That movie is gay. Did we miss the volleyball scene?" And I was like, "God, I hope not."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

UberBeaver said:

Well, I was 12 when it came out. I liked fighter jets (I prefered USAF F-15s over USN F-14s, but you take when you can get) and Kelly McGillis. I watched it a lot.

i keep a document of great Interference quotes that i want to save and remember. i haven't added to it in a while, mostly because FYM has gone way downhill in recent months.

this quote is going in that document.

UberBeaver said:

Paul?

Paul is that you? I thought we said we would never tell anyone about that?

UberBeaver said:

a little fyi though :shh: Keeping a pictureof Patrick Swayze in your avatar isn't really hiding anything, if you know what I mean.

Plus Swayze is NOT gay. Would a gay man ever say something as straight as this: "If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."

End of story.

Dalton said:

Plus Swayze is NOT gay. Would a gay man ever say something as straight as this: "If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal."

End of story.

I didn't say Swayze was gay. He's not the one with a Patrick Swayze avatar.

But you're probably right. Gay guys wouldn't do the whole "be nice" thing cause gay guys probably know "nice guys" don't get any. :(

UberBeaver said:

I didn't say Swayze was gay. He's not the one with a Patrick Swayze avatar.

But you're probably right. Gay guys wouldn't do the whole "be nice" thing cause gay guys probably know "nice guys" don't get any. :(

But The Swayze got Keanu.

"I AM AN EFF-BEE-EYE AGENT!"

LemonMacPhisto said:

But The Swayze got Keanu.

"I AM AN EFF-BEE-EYE AGENT!"

ah, Keanu.

another actor we all know is gay but who plays it straight so he can play straight guys in movies who seem really gay.

Irvine511 said:

ah, Keanu.

another actor we all know is gay but who plays it straight so he can play straight guys in movies who seem really gay.
WildStallyns.jpg

Back
Top Bottom