Top 7 television series of the decade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot believe that there's only been such a small handful of The West Wing mentions in here. Inexcusable. It is clearly the best show of the decade, hands down. It's one of the greatest series ever to grace the small screen. Aaron Sorkin is an unqualified genius in the craft of screenwriting, and the first four seasons of The West Wing are the proof(the last three after Sorkin left are also great, but not as unbelievably great as the first four). Simply brilliant television. Even if you're not all that into politics, it'll win you over anyway. The characters are some of my favorite characters in anything, ever, big screen or small. Season 2 of The West Wing is a candidate for greatest season in TV history, imo.

Also, while not nearly in the realm of The West Wing or many of the other shows mentioned in this thread, I'd like to give a nod to the WB series Everwood that ran from 2002-2006. Solid, solid series, good writing, good acting, great drama.

Mrs. Dexter reminds me of Renee Zellweger for some reason. :crack:

I'm still on Season 3 DVD because I dont have Showtime but I'm already not liking the whole Miguel Prado helping with Dexter's 'duties' thing. And I normally swear like a sailor but I'd like to remove the word Fuck and any form of it from Deb's vocabulary. Does it have to be in EVERY sentence?

Season 1 was the best for sure.

The overabundance of effusive praise that I hear from people on line regarding The West Wing just makes me less inclined to watch it. It annoys me, and therefore by proxy makes me annoyed with the show, whether or not I haven't seen it.

Plus,I'm put off by Aaron Sorkin, who's always struck me as being totally in love with his own "genius." So I haven't been able to like any of his shows. (I've seen a handful of episodes of both Sports Night and The West Wing.)

*waits for Namkcur to say "inexcusable" again*

I do want to watch Dexter, and should get around to that soon. Julie Benz, however, will always be Darla from Buffy / Angel to me.

it's too bad that Heroes went downhill after one season. it had possibilities.

The overabundance of effusive praise that I hear from people on line regarding The West Wing just makes me less inclined to watch it. It annoys me, and therefore by proxy makes me annoyed with the show, whether or not I haven't seen it.

Plus,I'm put off by Aaron Sorkin, who's always struck me as being totally in love with his own "genius." So I haven't been able to like any of his shows. (I've seen a handful of episodes of both Sports Night and The West Wing.)

*waits for Namkcur to say "inexcusable" again*

I do want to watch Dexter, and should get around to that soon. Julie Benz, however, will always be Darla from Buffy / Angel to me.

Replace it with "inconceivable" and it's 10x funnier.

Speaking of Sorkin, Studio 60 was a disaster. Julie Benz, however, is not. And Heroes' first sign of being terrible was that awful Season 1 finale, and I loved the hell out of that season.

24 S5 would be high up on my list of Favorite Seasons as well.

it's too bad that Heroes went downhill after one season. it had possibilities.

This.

I would actually put Season 1 up there in the discussion of best seasons of TV this decade. That shit was a breath of fresh (Panetti)air. It immediately started to suck once Season 2 began. Oh well.

I cannot believe that there's only been such a small handful of The West Wing mentions in here. Inexcusable. It is clearly the best show of the decade, hands down. It's one of the greatest series ever to grace the small screen. Aaron Sorkin is an unqualified genius in the craft of screenwriting, and the first four seasons of The West Wing are the proof(the last three after Sorkin left are also great, but not as unbelievably great as the first four). Simply brilliant television. Even if you're not all that into politics, it'll win you over anyway. The characters are some of my favorite characters in anything, ever, big screen or small. Season 2 of The West Wing is a candidate for greatest season in TV history, imo.

Also, while not nearly in the realm of The West Wing or many of the other shows mentioned in this thread, I'd like to give a nod to the WB series Everwood that ran from 2002-2006. Solid, solid series, good writing, good acting, great drama.

Have you even seen The Wire or Deadwood? Because if not, you should not make statements like "the best show of the decade, hands down".

I guess I need to queue The Wire.

Maybe you do and maybe you don't but Namkcur has a horrible habit of making hyperbolic statements when he does not even have thorough knowledge of the genre being discussed. It in turn erodes whatever credibility he might have had. As I see it, that is, perhaps others like that sort of approach.

As for The Wire, I probably, no, I definitely babble about it too much but I've never seen anything quite like it. Slow start, like chapter one of a sprawling novel....you need to meet the characters, understand the milieux, etc. It slowly gets its hooks into you and after that you're in. 5 seasons only, so it was art over commerce (just like Deadwood), as opposed to the show just staying on the air even though the writers were fresh out of ideas/creativity (Office, anyone?). Amazing ensemble cast (again, like Deadwood) that never resorted to the lowest common denominator to garner audience. So help me, Season 4 of the Wire was the best season of television I've ever seen, and it's not like the other seasons were slouches.

So, yeah, Carlos, maybe you might want to check it out, I don't know. If you do, I hope you enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Oh, and, I got at least 10 people to watch this series, and all loved it. I don't say that to convince you, just to let you know that it's that rare show that actually found me preaching on its behalf, and I converted more than a few folks.....

Wasn't Deadwood cancelled though?

It's one of the very few shows I still have every intention of checking out one day, mainly for my love of the genre, but I always enter series that never got to end the way they desired with a bit of trepidation.

Wasn't Deadwood cancelled though?

It's one of the very few shows I still have every intention of checking out one day, mainly for my love of the genre, but I always enter series that never got to end the way they desired with a bit of trepidation.

Was it cancelled???? I thought that Milch was the one that insisted it end when it ended. If not, I stand corrected about its length, but not about its quality.

Was it cancelled???? I thought that Milch was the one that insisted it end when it ended. If not, I stand corrected about its length, but not about its quality.

I thought I remember hearing the creators were upset it was cancelled early and had plans for a while to finish it with a series or feature films or something. I may be wrong though, as I'm hardly an expect on the series, or HBO in general.

don't want to derail this thread, but i'm really excited about the possibilities of both "Flash-Forward" and "V".

Honestly, the only stuff I've watched on TV that I enjoyed enough to warrant any level of praise has been Mad Men, the first 3 seasons of Lost, and the Arrested... maybe.

Oh, and Avatar: The Last Airbender of course. Which is the best thing EVAR created.

oh....uh.....well:

1. Twin Peaks
2. Boomtown
3. Family Guy (even though it started in '99)
4. Las Vegas
5. True Blood
6. Bones
7. Twin Peaks

I tried watching an episode of True Blood once. Almost made me want to break the TV.

I tried watching an episode of True Blood once. Almost made me want to break the TV.

i think it's hilarious. my wife likes it just for the Vampire part, but i have no problem drooling over Sookie. when my wife asks why i'm drooling, i normally just tell her that i had a mild stroke.

I have seen clips of some hot Vampire chick in her undies though. That was probably what convinced me to give that episode a shot.

The CAP!

I'm not speaking to anyone who doesn't have The West Wing on their list again, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom