Top 7 television series of the decade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy TVS (does this count? Half of it was aired in this decade)

See, I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe it shouldn't count...I feel it's more of a 90's show even though, like you said, it aired through to the 2000s. If it counts, then it would toss a wrench into my entire list. I also forgot all about Curb Your Enthusiasm. I will do a revised list now.

1. Gilmore Girls
2. Lost
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
4. Arrested Development
5. American Idol
6. Six Feet Under
7. 30 Rock
8. Veronica Mars
9. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
10. Gossip Girl
11. Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Colbert Report > everything else x 1 million.

Arrested Development would be a distant second.

The Office (U.S.) was golden for the first few seasons, but after that - meh.

Office S2 was as good as any great season of TV this decade.

I watched "Drug Testing" and "Conflict Resolution" the other day for the first time in a while, and it's staggering how fantastic those are compared to the past 2 seasons' best episodes.

Now exactly how much pot did you smoke?

Seasons off the top of the ole noggin:

1. Arrested Development S02
2. The Office S02
3. 30 Rock S02
4. Mad Men S01
5. Six Feet Under S01
6. Always Sunny S03
7. The Sopranos S01
8. Weeds S01
9. Dexter S01
10. Extras S02

And this is only because I'm drawing a blank on which of the six seasons of Curb I'd consider the finest. Clearly, I gravitate more toward comedies than dramas.

And everything else. It's the ultimate bro sitcom.

I still need to see The Sopranos, The Wire, Lost, Weeds (loved the 2 episodes I watched the other night), The West Wing, Friday Night Lights, Six Feet Under, Dexter and Deadwood. Sweet jemimah.

No Curb love yet?

I was actually torn between Curb and Extras, but Extras won out just because of the Sir Ian scene. And Little Fat Man. And the Kate Winslett and Daniel Radcliffe episodes.

Of those on your need to see list, I also need to see The Wire and The West Wing.

I really don't watch a lot of tv...but um...

Monk (well...at least the first three seasons, after that the show is shit)
Boston Legal
House
Law and Order SVU

...wow, uh...George Lopez? That's about the only other one I watch and enjoy doing so.

ETA: Ah, thanks kingofsorrow. Revised list:

Monk (First three seasons)
Boston Legal
House
Futurama
Law and Order SVU
Family Guy (First three seasons, rest is just completely awful, save a few key moments)
George Lopez

Yeah, thinking about it in terms of seasons is interesting. I'm not sure what season of Lost I would put on top. Probably Season 1, just because it's the OG. VP, what season of Gilmore Girls would you rank as the best? I'd have to go with Season 5, probably. I don't know, that's really hard.

I've always thought Season 1 of AD was the best. Can't go wrong with 2, though, obviously.

But, for me, without a doubt (and I'm sure I've posted this before), Season 1 of Veronica Mars is the best and most engrossing season of television I've seen this decade. Possibly ever.

WHO KILLED LILLY KANE!?!?!

Now exactly how much pot did you smoke?

Seasons off the top of the ole noggin:

1. Arrested Development S02
2. The Office S02
3. 30 Rock S02
4. Mad Men S01
5. Six Feet Under S01
6. Always Sunny S03
7. The Sopranos S01
8. Weeds S01
9. Dexter S01
10. Extras S02

And this is only because I'm drawing a blank on which of the six seasons of Curb I'd consider the finest. Clearly, I gravitate more toward comedies than dramas.

Mad Men S1 is epically amazing, I'll agree. Though I still haven't gotten around to watching S2 yet. :reject: I will some day though. And I will savor the experience.

And S2 of Arrested really is fantastic, even if I've cooled to the show over the years.

I tried watching Dexter this summer. Couldn't get into it. Felt like all decoration and no filling. Pretty though.

Season 4 of The Wire >>>>> everything contained within this thread.

Lazarus, there is no fucking excuse for your not having seen Deadwood by now. None. I knew that you had not seen any of the show as of a few months ago but figured you'd have rectified this by now. You make me sick right now. And you make me cry.

Ian McShane's mouth is too filthy for Waz's widdle eaws.

Mad Men S1 is epically amazing, I'll agree. Though I still haven't gotten around to watching S2 yet. :reject: I will some day though. And I will savor the experience.

You'll go nuts over S2, and now S3 is already halfway done. I don't know if you've got the Blu Rays yet, but seriously, get on it. The first season would get high marks even if most of it sucked just for "The Carousel," which is one of my favorite episodes of any show EVAR.

I tried watching Dexter this summer. Couldn't get into it. Felt like all decoration and no filling. Pretty though.
That first season was so fresh that I just loved it, and the escalation as it went on was fantastic. And it's a very, very pretty show. But S2 started showing signs of decline, then S3 warranted jumping ship midway through the season. But I'd recommend finishing the first just because the way it unravels was spectacularly well done.

Laz of all people would fucking love that show.

You must have enjoyed watching a show that hit so close to home. Sure, it took place in South Dakota but several of the characters depicted, be they fictional or actual historic figures, surely felt like family to you, Deputy Impy.

I'm still reeling from Glee being mentioned in here.

I still need to actually see the entire series. I've actually only caught the first two episodes, and that was years ago. But it definitely seems engrossing and right up my alley. That of course being the homespun, prairie shenanigans alley.

Now who wants to tip some cows?

Was that S1?

Oddly, I think that with a show like Dexter, the profanity and nudity actually "belongs" in the show. I saw S1 in network tv and the editing needed took away so much form the storyline.
I watched S2 on dvd and it was obviously much better.
I just finished S3.
S2 was the best, IMO.

The thing with Dexter that cracks me up is the fact that I was so enamored with it after the first season, so I recommended it to my dad. He proceeded to watch it on CBS and told me he hated it. Funny how that works. It might be different had he seen it on Showtime.

He's also plowing through Lost right now and can't recommend it enough. Unfortunately he's got the Blu Rays, so I can't borrow them.

I enjoyed season one of Dexter and thought that it took a major turn for the worse for season two.

I'd not have placed it anywhere near my Top 7, but I did like it for a time.

How so Mike?

I'm not sure if I could name any one thing. I just stopped liking it.

It's possible that my appetite for that sort of show was limited and so it could have been more me than the writing/acting. I also always found the sister annoying from the jump, so perhaps my patience with her ran out.

Deb's an inherently annoying character for sure. The introduction of Lila didn't help regardless of how hot she is (check Hottest Chica in a minute). And really, a show with that sort of premise needs to have kind of a short lifespan in order for it to stay compelling.

The Miguel Prado shit last season though, Christ. That was bad. And eventually I didn't like a single character on the show anymore.

I thought about checking out Dexter, but not having Showtime kind of deterred me. Now I'm getting kind of excited for USA's White Collar since it seems like a less violent version of pretty much the same show.

Deb's an inherently annoying character for sure. The introduction of Lila didn't help regardless of how hot she is (check Hottest Chica in a minute). And really, a show with that sort of premise needs to have kind of a short lifespan in order for it to stay compelling.

The Miguel Prado shit last season though, Christ. That was bad. And eventually I didn't like a single character on the show anymore.

100% agree
btw, Mrs Dexter is the hottest lady in that show......and many shows for that matter.

I'm still reeling from Glee being mentioned in here.

I'm glad that I graduated high school before Glee swept through the drama department like the plague. Holy shit. I probably would've dropped a carpet bomb at the District Thespian festival.

VP, what season of Gilmore Girls would you rank as the best? I'd have to go with Season 5, probably. I don't know, that's really hard.

It's really hard for me to choose too. I almost look at it more as a body of work, with constant evolution of the characters. Maybe season 2, just because the girls were together, and that's really the dynamic that made the show what it was. But you're right, season 5 is up there, too. 1, 3 and 4 are pretty damn great, too. Season 6, there was one plotline I was vehemently opposed to (and so was Lauren Graham, if I remember correctly). Season 7 I would have been okay with if the show had been allowed to come back for another half season like they'd been proposing. I wanted to see the middle, dammit.

Really hard to choose for Lost, too. The whole thing's been exceptional. The first 3 seasons I burned through on dvd, but after that, watching season 4 in real time had me on the edge of my seat consistently.

I like Dexter a lot too, but in a way, it's frustrating to me. It's like as good as it is, it doesn't quite live up to its potential, and falls short of being great.

Veronica Mars is another I need to check out.

Back
Top Bottom