Top 3 TV characters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably :

Alan Shore - Boston Legal
Elliot Stabler - Law and Order SVU
Adrian Monk - Monk

Because I'm pretty plebby when it comes to TV.

Walter White
George Costanza
Lionel Hutz

Hutz is the only character I can think of that's never said something unfunny.

2. Michael Scott / The Office

340x-10.gif

:wink: I don't feel that strongly about it, but I'd go with David Brent over Michael Scott. I had to stop watching The Office because Michael Scott regularly sent me into a foaming rage.

1. Lionel Hutz- The Simpsons
2. Cosmo Kramer- Seinfeld
3. Eric Cartmen- South Park

Lionel Hutz might be the funniest character ever created.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Where you're so angry, you start foaming at the mouth.

I may be exaggerating.

Or I may have rabies.

It's hard to tell.

I love Steve Carrell. I stopped watching when my hatred of Michael Scott started making me worried that I'd start hating Steve Carrell.

I mean, that thing with Scott's Tots? That went beyond unfunny and beyond painful and into just plain cruel. No one who pulls that kind of shit should be considered lovable.

And when he drove the car into a lake because the GPS told him to? No one that stupid (or who will go that far to prove a point; I can't remember if that's what he was doing) should be allowed to continue existing in TV form.

Those are the two things off the top of my head that stayed with me. And then add the umpteen gajillion things he did that in the real world would have gotten him fired.

All that being said, I did enjoy the show for the first few seasons (and yeah, of course he had sweet moments as well), but the Michael Scott stuff just got worse and started making me hate the show. David Brent was bad enough, but in a limited run series, it was over before the character could just get ridiculously awful (and at least he got to end the show with a bit of self-awareness and redemption).

I know I have an awful lot to say about a character on a half-hour comedy show, but that should just show how much I hated Michael Scott. ;)

I love Steve Carrell. I stopped watching when my hatred of Michael Scott started making me worried that I'd start hating Steve Carrell.

I mean, that thing with Scott's Tots? That went beyond unfunny and beyond painful and into just plain cruel. No one who pulls that kind of shit should be considered lovable.

And when he drove the car into a lake because the GPS told him to? No one that stupid (or who will go that far to prove a point; I can't remember if that's what he was doing) should be allowed to continue existing in TV form.

Those are the two things off the top of my head that stayed with me. And then add the umpteen gajillion things he did that in the real world would have gotten him fired.

All that being said, I did enjoy the show for the first few seasons (and yeah, of course he had sweet moments as well), but the Michael Scott stuff just got worse and started making me hate the show. David Brent was bad enough, but in a limited run series, it was over before the character could just get ridiculously awful (and at least he got to end the show with a bit of self-awareness and redemption).

I know I have an awful lot to say about a character on a half-hour comedy show, but that should just show how much I hated Michael Scott. ;)

WOW! I agree with everything here SO much!! :yes:

Top 3? So I need to choose between these characters:

Francis Urquhart - House of Cards
Dr. Paul Weston - In Treatment
Douglas Reynohlm - The IT Crowd
Dean Learner - Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Fox Mulder and Dana Scully - The X-Files
Dale Cooper - Twin Peaks
Gob Bluth - Arrested Development
Walter White - Breaking Bad
Angel and Spike - Buffy/Angel
Selina Meyer - Veep
President Bartlet - The West Wing
Sir Humphrey Appleby - Yes Minister/Prime Minister

Fuck it, it's too hard ;)

Fox Mulder & Dana Scully
Dale Cooper
Al Swearengen

I could not list only three

but any list I did ever make would certainly include this one character for sure

Helena

in a series with lots of characters, this one character is responsible for at least 50% of my enjoyment, without her the show would not be near as good.

Orphan-Black-Helena-sestra.gif

Since the topic of the (US) Office has come up repeatedly in this thread, I have got to put a good word in for Ryan Howard (aka temp, aka youngest executive in Dunder Mifflin history to go to jail).

His character and personality drift all over the place over the seasons, but he's just the perfect coathanger for any gags or storylines that require an ultra-obnoxious, quease-making young startup wanker. And then in later seasons, the obnoxious young biz whiz with a criminal record and thus an opportunity to play up a 'dangerous' angle. The actor's face is so perfectly punchable.

"How's my favourite branch!"

Pam: "I love that place, their bread sticks are like crack!"

Ryan: "Oh really Pam, have you ever done crack? Because I have. Why not pick something more appropriate to your bourgeois life, like 'these breadsticks are like scrapbooking'.

I think he was funnier as a quiet, bumbling temp, desperate to get anywhere else, the butt of jokes and always being creeped out by Michael. Although the transition into arsehole was funny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom