Top 10 of the Decade: The 1990's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5. The English Patient (Minghella, 1996)

8. The English Patient (Anthony Minghella, 1996)

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates this odd indie/studio hybrid. A very unique film and a rare Best Picture winner with some real depth.

Talk to Her and Volver might be my favorites, but I think that All About My Mother is the archetypal Almodovar film in that it contains every crucial element about his work (the tonal sensibilities, the acute insights about the feminine psyche, the awareness of and generosity to film history, etc). He is one of my favorite working filmmakers; even what is considered as "minor" by the critics (like Broken Embrances) is still damn good.

I was a huge fan of Broken Embraces last year. And Volver is a close second favorite personally. Talk to Her works wonders for me in fits and starts, but leaves me with somehow less than my two favorites.

No love for Bad Education, my personal favorite?

A lot of stuff mentioned was fighting for the bottom of my list (Rushmore, Magnolia, Heat, Shortcuts), but I went back to Stone's JFK because of how daring a film it is from a cinematography perspective, and because personally, it galvanized me politically. I haven't seen it in quite some time but from what I remember it's one of the fastest-paced 3-hours+ films I've ever sat through.

Also, what a cast. Six Oscar-winners, Gary Oldman, Donald Sutherland, Kevin Bacon, and a slew of other great character actors.

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates this odd indie/studio hybrid. A very unique film and a rare Best Picture winner with some real depth.

It was just outside my list. Glad my short-term random obsession with Ralph Fiennes got me around to that one.

Oh, absolutely. I can't think of another film from the 1990s with as many memorable moments. I also love Kristin Scott Thomas' work here. And La Binoche.

No love for Bad Education, my personal favorite?

I've only seen Bad Education once, so it's due for a rewatch. But I remember liking it very much as well. There isn't a single post-All About My Mother Almodovar that I don't like.

Also, I can't recommend A Brighter Summer's Day enough (the spelling is purposefully incorrect), especially to those of you who like Asian cinema. Yang may very well make it in to 2000s list as well.

The EP was close to making my list, as well. It's gorgeous, Binoche is incredible and...wait for it...SAYID JARRAH!

I know I just posted this in the review thread recently, but I wanted to like this movie a great deal, but I just couldn't quite get into Williams' character. It's nice to see it on a list though, it was a great movie regardless.

I somewhat agree about the character. Jeff Bridges and Terry Gilliam's directing puts it up there for me.

Oh, absolutely. I can't think of another film from the 1990s with as many memorable moments. I also love Kristin Scott Thomas' work here. And La Binoche.

I agree. Kristin Scott Thomas and Ralph Fiennes had such great chemistry in that film that they could recite the dictionary back and forth to each other and it would still be captivating.

YouTube - The English Patient, Ralph Fiennes talks about the wind

1 Mi Familia, Nava 95
2 Jurassic Park , Spielberg 93
3 Edward Scissorhands, Burton 90
4 Interview w/the Vampire, Jordan 94
5 Ghost , Zucker 90
6 My Own Private Idaho, Gus Van Sant 91
7 Reservior Dogs, Tarantino 92
8 Point Break, Bigelow 91
9 This Boy's Life , Jones 93
10 Titanic , Cameron 97

I just haven't seen enough from this decade to make any kind of list but having read all those submitted the only two titles I would add are:

That Thing You Do! (96) Hanks (And the extended cut is even better)
Dazed and Confused (93) Linklater (hits close to home)

Back
Top Bottom