Top 10 of the Decade: The 1980's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And the film is really crazy, as Shouter seems to find so much comedy in it though its his style to amplify his own opinions by several orders of magnitude, but he's not too far off. It's really a one of a kind beast.

Thanks for letting me know that the last time I watched the film, I apparently wasn't with several of my friends as they drank beer, we ate pizza, and we all laughed at its showy racism and absurd/strained poeticism for the entire running time. I believe that we had previously watched Showgirls and, the week after Brade Runna, we continued the series with the director's cut of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...which should paint a pretty vivid picture of just how hilarious I indeed find the film. I may be several orders of magnitude removed from your own opinions, which all the same seem at least to run parallel to my own, but don't tell me what I do or don't feel.

Thanks for letting me know that the last time I watched the film, I apparently wasn't with several of my friends as they drank beer, we ate pizza, and we all laughed at its showy racism and absurd/strained poeticism for the entire running time. I believe that we had previously watched Showgirls and, the week after Brade Runna, we continued the series with the director's cut of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...which should paint a pretty vivid picture of just how hilarious I indeed find the film. I may be several orders of magnitude removed from your own opinions, which all the same seem at least to run parallel to my own, but don't tell me what I do or don't feel.

You should have a Star Wars film festival with beer. I bet you would have a laugh with your friends. :wink:

We did the same thing with the prequels! The viewing of Attack of the Clones was one of the most uproarious film viewings of my life. I almost pissed myself from laughing, at one point, and one of my friends did. It's just fun to riff on the absurd stuff with people who both agree and who have similarly informed takes, you know?

I hardly remember even writing that I was so exhausted at the time. I believe entirely you do feel that way, and didn't mean to imply otherwise. I do, however, think sometimes you go to strained lengths to... do what exactly... elaborate, contextualize your opinions? What with the countless anecdotes, and how you always know all these people or have read all these academics that feel the same way. It can just be a bit much.

Well, there were only four people there. Myself included. But that's a fair enough point.

Understood. I'm hardly just talking about this one instance though. You've made far more wide-sweeping claims of support and elaborate personal anecdotes in the past, though I suppose you usually only do it when you make more "controversial" or extreme claims, and that's all I was referring to.

Yeah, it's a 100% fair point. I do that so that it doesn't seem like I'm just trying to stir up shit. Like, when I'm in fact not trying to stir up shit. Does that make any sense? I know that I need to resort to it when I talk about "Jungleland," which I no longer bother doing, and I know that I have done it when talking about Chuck E. Rose. These things aren't done in hopes of proving myself right, though; rather, they're done to prove that I'm either being serious or advancing an opinion which isn't as controversial or out-there as this admittedly sometimes-cloistered community sometimes thinks.

10 totally bitchin' teen-titty movies from the eighties. (The only movies from that decade I'm familiar with and have intently studied)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (82) Heckerling
The Last American Virgin (82) Davidson
Valley Girl (83) Coolidge
Spring Break (83) Cunningham
Hardbodies (84) Mark Griffiths
Hot Moves (84) Sotos
Private Resort (85) Bowers
Private School (83) Black
Revenge of the Nerds (84) Kanew
Just one of the Guys (85) Gottlieg

1. Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988)
2. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985)
3. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
4. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
5. Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980)
6. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
7. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan (Nicholas Meyer, 1982)
8. The Mission (Roland Joffe, 1986)
9. The Last Temptation of Christ (Martin Scorsese, 1988)
10. Hellraiser (Clive Barker, 1987)

Crap, I'm missing the Laker game :D

Broadway Danny Rose - Allen 84 My favorite Woody. Talent agent for worst acts ever (ie, stuttering ventriloquist, blind xylophone player... :lol: ) has shot at big time with tempermental, alcoholic has-been Lou Canova. Great turn by Nick Apollo Forte. All Danny has to do is make it to the big show with Lou's mob connected mistress. Shootout in a warehouse of helium filled macy's day parade balloons is just part of the fun.
Raging Bull - Scorsese 80
The Elephant Man - Lynch 80
The Emerald Forest - Boorman 84 Child of American businessman is lost in Amazon rainforest.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Spielberg 81
Das Boot - Peterson 81 Claustrophobic and engrossing look at German submarine crew in WWII
The Road Warrior - Miller 81
The Dead Zone - Cronenberg 85 Could've put videodrome, but I like this one
The Long Riders - Hill 80 Another good look at the James/Younger gang
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Heckerling 82 Worth mentioning just because Phoebe Cates drops her bikini top:wink: Fun times nonetheless

I've seen a lot of love for Broadway Danny Rose in the past few years. It's certainly one I plan on rewatching soon.

One I haven't gotten around to, or even heard much about in my usual circles oddly enough. I'll put it on higher priority.

I read an interview with Woody a long time back where he said Danny Rose was the film that came closest to what he orginally intended. Not that that makes it his best, since he's got so many great ones, but I found that interesting.

10 totally bitchin' teen-titty movies from the eighties. (The only movies from that decade I'm familiar with and have intently studied)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (82) Heckerling
The Last American Virgin (82) Davidson
Valley Girl (83) Coolidge
Spring Break (83) Cunningham
Hardbodies (84) Mark Griffiths
Hot Moves (84) Sotos
Private Resort (85) Bowers
Private School (83) Black
Revenge of the Nerds (84) Kanew
Just one of the Guys (85) Gottlieg

I have seen all of these movies.

Back