Top 10 of the Decade: The 1980's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's true.

But YLB, wtf dude? No Back to the Future? You shock me.

I caught a screening at the tail of the summer, was incredibly jazzed for it and still enjoyed it, but that feeling of it being my favorite film wasn't there anymore. I enjoy it greatly, all 3 films really, but it's not as high up there for me as it used to be. It's barely outside of the Top 10.

I caught a screening at the tail of the summer, was incredibly jazzed for it and still enjoyed it, but that feeling of it being my favorite film wasn't there anymore. I enjoy it greatly, all 3 films really, but it's not as high up there for me as it used to be. It's barely outside of the Top 10.

Certainly understandable. Surprised Ghostbusters didn't make an appearance as well.

Also, makes me wonder what the basterd's favorite film is now. Perhaps I just don't pay attention to things. And perhaps we'll find out if we do an all-time favorites thread.

10735-5459.gif

1. Paris, Texas (Wenders, 1984)
2. Reds (Beatty, 1981)
3. Once Upon a Time in America (Leone, 1984)
4. My Dinner with Andre (Malle, 1981)
5. The Last Metro (Truffaut, 1980)
6. Blue Velvet (Lynch, 1986)
7. Ran (Kurosawa, 1985)
8. sex, lies and videotape (Soderbergh, 1989)
9. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Allen, 1989)
10. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Kaufman, 1988)

The 1980s is probably my least favorite decade for films (btw, I enjoyed the exchange on this thread a lot).

A City of Sadness will surely make its way in this list eventually, but I've only seen it recently and haven't had the necessary time to fully digest it.

If NSW hasn't already drowned you in his hugs, I will hug you for this one.

I love how cheap it is yet leaves you with epiphanies that compete with more expensive classics.

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner, '80)
2. Aliens (Cameron, '86)
3. Blade Runner (Scott, '82)
4. The Shining (Kubrick, '80)
5. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Spielberg, '84)
6. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Meyer, '82)
7. The Natural (Levinson, '84)
8. Back to the Future (Zemeckis, '85)
9. Batman (Burton, '89)
10. Clue (Lynn, '85)

:beer::beer::beer: Good times :drunk:

1. Paris, Texas (Wenders, 1984)
2. Reds (Beatty, 1981)
3. Once Upon a Time in America (Leone, 1984)
4. My Dinner with Andre (Malle, 1981)
5. The Last Metro (Truffaut, 1980)
6. Blue Velvet (Lynch, 1986)
7. Ran (Kurosawa, 1985)
8. sex, lies and videotape (Soderbergh, 1989)
9. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Allen, 1989)
10. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Kaufman, 1988)

Crimes is very high up on my 80's list, though I'm not sure even on an unfiltered list (I had Allen's Stardust Memories) if it would crack the 10. The Unbearable Lightness of Being almost made it, but I forgot I already had a Kaufman on there.

Sex Lies would have made mine a few years back. The first independent film I ever saw in the theatre, and definitely one that I learned from greatly as a filmmaker. Soderbergh's book about the making of the film (from the script writing to the Cannes experience) is a fantastic read.

Lynch trying to save the spice. YES!!!!

Lynch is always trying to save the spice.

A City of Sadness will surely make its way in this list eventually, but I've only seen it recently and haven't had the necessary time to fully digest it.

It's a monumental film of subtle proportions, as a friend once described it. Nearly as great are A Time to Live and a Time to Die and Dust in the Wind.

Well, if you say so.

Good luck with that. I don't know what to tell you aside from "watch more Ford". Because it's possible to be familiar with and respect Ford and still undervalue his artistry. Woo, Cameron, and Verhoeven just aren't in the same league, even at their peaks.

I really wish I had room for Soderbergh on my 90s list. If we were doing top 20s with these limitations I'm sure Schizopolis would make it.

Crimes is very high up on my 80's list, though I'm not sure even on an unfiltered list (I had Allen's Stardust Memories) if it would crack the 10. The Unbearable Lightness of Being almost made it, but I forgot I already had a Kaufman on there.

Sex Lies would have made mine a few years back. The first independent film I ever saw in the theatre, and definitely one that I learned from greatly as a filmmaker. Soderbergh's book about the making of the film (from the script writing to the Cannes experience) is a fantastic read.

It's difficult to pick one among Woody's 1980s films. Stardust Memories is definitely a great one as well.

I didn't even know there was a book about Sex Lies. I'll try to find it. I like everything about the film itself, not to mention its importance for independent cinema in the United States.

Oh, and Kundera is one of my favorite writers, so I'm also really partial about Unbearable Lightness... but I admire how they managed to adapt it and it has very strong performances from Binoche and DDL.

Good luck with that. I don't know what to tell you aside from "watch more Ford". Because it's possible to be familiar with and respect Ford and still undervalue his artistry. Woo, Cameron, and Verhoeven just aren't in the same league, even at their peaks.

I've seen plenty of Ford. I've had him on my lists twice already if you recall. I'm not saying I disagree. But if I was dismissive of your statement it was just because I feel the whole discussion had sort of run its course and I don't think there's a whole lot of value in "Lawlno A is obviously better than B." - "Haiwayt no B is better." Since it seems like you had little interest in actually engaging what I had written at that point.

Edit: He might have appeared three times on my lists, actually.

1. Red Dawn - Swayze
2. Labyrinth - Muppets
3. Gleaming the Cube - Dead AZN adopted brother
4. Flight of the Navigator - That kid
5. Roadhouse - Dalton
6. Die Hard - Yippekiaye
7. Bull Fucking Durham
q. Gremlins - What?
9. Top Gun - I'd still fuck Kelly McGillis ... but probably only anal
10. Commando - The saw blade scene

I've seen plenty of Ford. I've had him on my lists twice already if you recall. I'm not saying I disagree. But if I was dismissive of your statement it was just because I feel the whole discussion had sort of run its course and I don't think there's a whole lot of value in "Lawlno A is obviously better than B." - "Haiwayt no B is better." Since it seems like you had little interest in actually engaging what I had written at that point.

Edit: He might have appeared three times on my lists, actually.

Well, much of what you were saying was pretty evident in terms of art vs. entertainment; I get all that and understand the danger of passing broad generalizations on any type of film.

You did say that Woo's best work was as worthy of discussion as certain past and modern masters, and as someone who saw The Killer in the theatre when it came out (and subsequently spent a lot of time in college hunting down all of his work), I just don't see it. I don't even know if I'd accord him the same attention as his other hero Peckinpah.

FWIW, I think Bullet in the Head stands pretty tall over everything else, though it's not going to made it to my 10 of the 90's. And I think Woo-maniac Tarantino has far surpassed him.

The comment about Jake being "All grown up" has partially made me want to make two lists. I've come to an impasse with this decade where a lot of the movies are a bit ridiculous, but have been favorite movies since I was like...born. While there are a lot of legitimately good movies that are getting the cut because I can't stand putting them above the movies that make me that happy. Even if I know they're better films.

YLB is all growns up.

And LM is most certainly not.

1. The Shining (dir. Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
2. The Blues Brothers (dir. John Landis, 1980)
3. Stand By Me (dir. Rob Reiner, 1986)
4. Batman (dir. Tim Burton, 1989)
5. Big Trouble In Little China (dir. John Carpenter, 1986)
6. The Evil Dead (dir. Sam Raimi, 1981)
7. After Hours (dir. Martin Scorsese, 1985)
8. Cinema Paradiso (dir. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
9. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (dir. John Hughes, 1986)
10. Die Hard (dir. John McTiernan, 1988)

YouTube - America - Fuck Yeah!

Was just a quote from Swingers, as it turns out.

I couldn't care less if he had Back to the Future in there or not. Everyone's list should be pure, what they feel, etc, and I have no doubt that the people in here are following that path.

Certainly understandable. Surprised Ghostbusters didn't make an appearance as well.

Also hovering in the '80s Top 20. As far as comedies go, firmly entrenched in my Top 5.

I like 'avin a laugh.

Also, makes me wonder what the basterd's favorite film is now. Perhaps I just don't pay attention to things. And perhaps we'll find out if we do an all-time favorites thread.

It's close to a three-way tie between Empire, Raiders and The Red Shoes. It makes for a fun game of "which of these is not like the other."

Ok, since Jedi and A New Hope conspired to murder the 50 copies of Empire that I own, I was unable to watch the films this evening, so, fuck it.

1.) Return of the Jedi ('83, Marquand)
2.) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ('89, Spielberg)
3.) Die Hard ('88, McTiernan)
4.) When Harry Met Sally ('89, Reiner)
5.) Clue ('85, Lynn)
6.) Field of Dreams ('89, Robinson)
7.) Who Framed Roger Rabbit ('88, Zemeckis)
8.) A Fish Called Wanda ('88 Crichton)
9.) The Thing ('82, Carpenter)
10.) A Christmas Story ('83, Clark)

I hate how many movies I left off, as I've said countless times already in this thread. Were I to go on, After Hours, Ferris, Blue Velvet and Blade Runner would all be there. But, speaking from the heart, this top ten is as honest as I can get. Also, it just occurred to me that Empire and Jedi have different directors...but...that first slot might as well just be the entire Star Wars franchise and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom