Top 10 of the Decade: The 1970's - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Top 10 of the Decade: The 1970's

Bon appetit, Lance.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,927
Local Time: 12:08 PM
I'll bite.

1. Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
2. The discreet charm of the bourgeoisie (Buñuel, 1972)
3. Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972)
4. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
5. Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
6. Mean Streets (Scorsese, 1973)
7. The Passenger (Antonioni, 1975)
8. Nashville (Altman, 1975)
9. F for Fake (Welles, 1975)
10. Amarcord (Fellini, 1974)
__________________

__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 09:08 AM
1. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
2. Céline and Julie Go Boating (Rivette, 1974)
3. Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
4. The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)
5. The Holy Mountain (Jodorowski, 1973)
6. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
7. Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
8. Cabaret (Fosse, 1972)
9. Little Murders (Arkin, 1971)
10. O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973)

This is obviously the strongest decade for American film, even moreso than the 40's because of the abundance of new, unique voices. I really need to sit down and give a rewatch to Tarkovsky's Stalker, which I bought not too long ago, because I have a feeling it would crack the bottom here.

Bertolucci and Rivette would probably make dual appearances each on my true Top 10 for this decade.

What I realized with making these lists is that I'm feeling less obliged to only recognize titles I've long admired which should be on there, and have been leaning more towards things I have seen more recently that have had a large impact. Since lists like these are never set in stone, I think it's important to allow yourself to express where you are at the moment. Certain films I've seen countless times and will likely never leave the list. But there are others (like Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller, for example) which I haven't seen in a while and can step aside for the moment to make room for these new pleasures.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 01:08 PM
1. The Passenger (Antonioni, 75)
2. Days of Heaven (Malick, 78)
3. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 75)
4. Stalker (Tarkovsky, 79)
5. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Akerman, 75)
6. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (Cassavetes, 76)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Altman, 71)
8. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Fassbinder, 72)
9. Aguirre, Wrath of God (Herzog, 72)
10. Le Cercle Rouge (Melville, 70)

Bunuel, Coppola and Woody just missed the cut, painfully.
__________________
Lancemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,810
Local Time: 09:08 AM
1. The Godfather (dir. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
2. Jaws (dir. Steven Spielberg, 1975)
3. Annie Hall (dir. Woody Allen, 1977)
4. Alien (dir. Ridley Scott, 1979)
5. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (dir. George Lucas, 1977)
6. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (dir. Milos Forman, 1975)
7. Rocky (dir. John G. Avildsen, 1976)
8. Willie Wonky And The Chocolate Factory (dir. Mel Stuart, 1971)
9. Eraserhead (dir. David Lynch, 1976)
10. Chinatown (dir. Roman Polanski, 1974)

Ask me in a couple months and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Sting and The Deer Hunter will probably be in there. This is another list that I feel far too uninformed to make.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
What I realized with making these lists is that I'm feeling less obliged to only recognize titles I've long admired which should be on there, and have been leaning more towards things I have seen more recently that have had a large impact. Since lists like these are never set in stone, I think it's important to allow yourself to express where you are at the moment. Certain films I've seen countless times and will likely never leave the list. But there are others (like Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller, for example) which I haven't seen in a while and can step aside for the moment to make room for these new pleasures.
Nice Fosse placement. All That Jazz is top 20 for me likely.

And I agree whole-heartedly with the above sentiment, though my lists have all had a number of long set-in-stone personal favorites, tastes are in constant shift, especially this past year for me, and I love being able to recognize new works I'm currently exploring, which will become more prominent in the next few threads, personally. Which is also why I think it's a good idea for us to to these threads at least annually if not more frequently.
__________________
Lancemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 09:08 AM
I wish I had room for Buñuel, though I'm not sure if it would have been The Phantom of Liberty or Bourgeoisie. The Passenger was close, as was Amarcord. I have a lot of catching up to do with Fassbinder.

I recently bought a very cheap R1 Herzog/Kinski boxed set, so it will be nice to rewatch some stuff I haven't seen in ages, and to finish what i haven't at all.

Surprised that All That Jazz wasn't higher for you.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I'll bite.

1. Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978)
2. The discreet charm of the bourgeoisie (Buñuel, 1972)
3. Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972)
4. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
5. Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
6. Mean Streets (Scorsese, 1973)
7. The Passenger (Antonioni, 1975)
8. Nashville (Altman, 1975)
9. F for Fake (Welles, 1975)
10. Amarcord (Fellini, 1974)

You're number 2 and 4 were probably the next two on my list after I had to cut it. Astounding works.

Additionally I really had a difficult time choosing between three or four Altman films that decade, any of which deserve a spot on the list.
__________________
Lancemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,927
Local Time: 12:08 PM
I also like that idea. These lists should be somewhat fluid, and I think that adds some more unexpected titles that others may not have seen.

There is so much good stuff on these lists that I'm preparing a "to watch" list for the coming weeks.

Damn, I forgot about Aguirre.
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Additionally I really had a difficult time choosing between three or four Altman films that decade, any of which deserve a spot on the list.

Yeah, while I was leaning towards McCabe, I easily could have put California Split, which has a better script and acting but isn't in the same league visually. And of course there's Nashville and M*A*S*H.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I wish I had room for Buñuel, though I'm not sure if it would have been The Phantom of Liberty or Bourgeoisie. The Passenger was close, as was Amarcord. I have a lot of catching up to do with Fassbinder.

I recently bought a very cheap R1 Herzog/Kinski boxed set, so it will be nice to rewatch some stuff I haven't seen in ages, and to finish what i haven't at all.

Surprised that All That Jazz wasn't higher for you.
The Cassavetes, Akerman and Melville are all somewhat recent watches for me, so if I'd made my list 6 or 8 months ago, Fosse almost certainly would have made it. Same for Apocalypse Now, which is my #11.

Petra von Kant is easily the most impressive Fassbinder film of the half dozen or so that I've seen. Simply awe-inspiring.
__________________
Lancemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,927
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Speaking of Fassbinder, have you seen The Marriage of Maria Braun? I'm actually going to see a play based on the film in a few weeks, so I need to get to that soon.
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah, while I was leaning towards McCabe, I easily could have put California Split, which has a better script and acting but isn't in the same league visually. And of course there's Nashville and M*A*S*H.
I'm not especially high on Split or M*A*S*H honestly, though they're both still great. I was really juggling between McCabe, 3 Women, Nashville and The Long Goodbye, all of which I feel best represent Altman at his various strengths.
__________________
Lancemc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post

Petra von Kant is easily the most impressive Fassbinder film of the half dozen or so that I've seen. Simply awe-inspiring.

What else have you seen? I have someone's Berlin Alexanderplatz but I've only been through the first episode. I also have a used copy of In A Year With 13 Moons that I haven't seen yet.

Pretty curious about the BRD trilogy, and also Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:08 AM
From now on my list are going to be painfully mainstream, and I just don't care.

1.) A New Hope ('77, Lucas)
2.) Harold and Maude ('71, Ashby)
3.) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest ('75, Forman)
4.) Jaws ('75, Spielberg)
5.) Halloween ('78, Carpenter)
6.) Rocky Horror Picture Show ('75, Sharman)
7.) The Godfather ('72, Coppola)
8.) Monty Python and the Holy Grail ('75, Gilliam/Jones)
9.) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ('77, Lounsbery/Reitherman) [Requisite Disney pick, huge decision picking between it and Robin Hood.]
10.) Mad Max ('79, Miller)

I haven't seen Mad Max in a long time, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, but there were plenty of movies that missed out on the #10 spot to take its place.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com