Top 10 of the Decade: The 1960's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
You know the drill. Keep it to 10, IMDB release dates 1960-1969, ONE film per director.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone, 68)
2. L'aaventura (Antonioni, 60)
3. Playtime (Tati, 67)
4. La Dolce Vita (Fellini, 60)
5. 2001: ASO (Kubrick, 68)
6. Harakiri (Kobayashi, 62)
7. Cleo From 5 to 7 (Varda, 62)
8. Last Year At Marienbad (Resnais, 61)
9. Alphaville (Godard, 65)
10. The Shooting (Hellman, 67)

Mmm, now that's a good decade.

1. From Russia With Love - Young - 63
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Kubrick - 68
3. Goldfinger - Hamilton - 64
4. Lawrence of Arabia - Lean - 62
5. West Side Story - Wise/Robbins - 61
6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Hunt - 69
7. A Hard Day's Night - Lester - 64
8. My Fair Lady - Cukor - 64
9. Psycho - Hitch - 60
10. Mary Poppins - Stevenson - 64

I love the inclusion of Playtime in your list, Lance. It almost made mine. 2001 also barely missed.

1. Jules and Jim (Truffaut, 1962)
2. Last Year at Marienbad (Resnais, 1961)
3. Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1969)
4. L'eclisse (Antonioni, 1962)
5. 8 1/2 (Fellini , 1963)
6. The Fire Within (Malle, 1963)
7. Breathless (Godard, 1960)
8. Peeping Tom (Powell, 1960)
9. Le Samourai (Melville, 1967)
10. Black God, White Devil (Rocha, 1964)

1. From Russia With Love - Young - 63
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Kubrick - 68
3. Goldfinger - Hamilton - 64
4. Lawrence of Arabia - Lean - 62
5. West Side Story - Wise/Robbins - 61
6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Hunt - 69
7. A Hard Day's Night - Lester - 64
8. My Fair Lady - Cukor - 64
9. Psycho - Hitch - 60
10. Mary Poppins - Stevenson - 64

Damn, I just lost a bet.

Lance, I need a question answered before I can make my list. What exactly counts as a...movie?

Lance, I need a question answered before I can make my list. What exactly counts as a...movie?

Not entirely sure which direction you're going with this, but feel as free as you want to include things. There's no reason not to include short films for example, anything from under a minute long to just under an hour, sure why not. I'd say no television series, but certain miniseries-type projects or such (i.e. Berlin Alexanderplatz or the television version of Fanny and Alexander) should be allowed.

Very well then...much as I realize there are a great many wonderful films that came out in this decade, and this list was very hard for me to make, in the end, I didn't think it would be right without at least one of the two very popular and wonderful Christmas specials that came out in this decade, and choosing between them was rather difficult as well:

1.) The Good, The Bad and the Ugly ('66, Leone)
2.) Psycho ('60, Hitchcock)
3.) It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World ('63, Kramer)
4.) The Apartment ('60, Wilder)
5.) Spartacus ('60, Kubrick)
6.) To Kill a Mockingbird ('62, Mulligan)
7.) How the Grinch Stole Christmas ('66, Jones/Washam)
8.) The Graduate ('67, Nichols)
9.) In the Heat of the Night ('67, Jewison)
10.) Mary Poppins ('64, Stevenson)

I love the inclusion of Playtime in your list, Lance. It almost made mine. 2001 also barely missed.

1. Jules and Jim (Truffaut, 1962)
2. Last Year at Marienbad (Resnais, 1961)
3. Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1969)
4. L'eclisse (Antonioni, 1962)
5. 8 1/2 (Fellini , 1963)
6. The Fire Within (Malle, 1963)
7. Breathless (Godard, 1960)
8. Peeping Tom (Powell, 1960)
9. Le Samourai (Melville, 1967)
10. Black God, White Devil (Rocha, 1964)

Nice to see alternative picks from Antonioni, Fellini and Godard. I'm a big fan of all three you went with as well. Really don't care for Truffaut unfortunately. Also, Le Samourai was in contention for my own list.

Your top 2 :up: Leone really kicked ass that decade.

I've only seen The Good, The Bad and the Ugly once a few months ago, but it's not often I get that excited over a film after watching it once. The fact that it ended up over Psycho is pretty impressive in its own right (if making a list of Ashley's favorite movies is impressive at all :wink: )

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (dir. Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. 8 1/2 (dir. Federico Fellini, 1963)
3. Once Upon a Time in the West (dir. Sergio Leone, 1968)
4. Lawrence of Arabia (dir. David Lean, 1962)
5. The Graduate (dir. Mike Nichols, 1967)
6. The Apartment (dir. Billy Wilder, 1960)
7. Jules and Jim (dir. Francois Truffaut, 1962)
8. The Wild Bunch (dir. Sam Peckinpah, 1969)
9. Peeping Tom (dir. Michael Powell, 1960)
10. Shock Corridor (dir. Samuel Fuller, 1963)

I'm sure my sojourn through the rest of Antonioni's '60s output: L'Avventura, La Notte and L'Eclisse. and further exploration of The French New Wave fellows will open up this decade more for me.

1. Once Upon A Time In The West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
2. Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
4. Belle de Jour (Luis Bunuel, 1967)
5. West Side Story (Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise, 1961)
6. King of Hearts (Philipe de Broca, 1966)
7. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Mike Nichols, 1966)
8. Satyricon (Federico Fellini, 1969)
9. Cleopatra (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1963)
10. Jules & Jim (Francois Truffant, 1962)

The top three all stood out above the rest. The choice between one and two will be the hardest until the 1990’s. I put Once Upon A Time In The West at number one because there is not a single bad scene in that film. It is operatic, has the best soundtrack in the history of film and the final showdown is perfection. The opening train station sequence, murder of the family and the showdown are mini movies. It is simply the greatest western ever. Lawrence of Arabia is a similarly great epic. I sorely wish I could see this film in a theatre. Now someone explain to me how Peter O’Toole did not win the Oscar for this? He put on a performance of a lifetime. I will say though, the one thing that keeps this film from the top spot is that it severely slows down towards the end. It is followed by 2001. The film is brilliant on levels that you cannot fully grasp without multiple viewings. The idea that the monolith is actually the screen of the theatre or that we as the audience are expanding the scope of our imagination along with the characters on screen are among the theories that keep the film so interesting.

As for the rest:
Belle de Jour: Catherine Deneuve’s best work with perhaps the exception of Repulsion.
West Side Story: Probably the best musical in film history.
King of Hearts: The most bizarre film on the list and the most underrated French film in my opinion. You will likely either love or hate this film. Alan Bates is fantastic in it.

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: The 12 Angry Men of the 1960’s. Just four people acting their hearts out in front of a camera. Simple but effective enough to stand out in a decade of epics and quirky European films.

Satyricon: I am a huge Fellini fan and this film is my favorite of the bunch.
Cleopatra: These last two spots were the hardest to decide upon. Even though it is way too long, Cleopatra deserves mention. Great actors, amazing sets and costumes plus it was one of the last super expensive historical epics.

Jules & Jim: The French appear one last time. Like all of the films of this list, it is beautifully shot and supported by great acting. It is one of those films that you can love but cannot fully explain why.

Nice to see alternative picks from Antonioni, Fellini and Godard. I'm a big fan of all three you went with as well. Really don't care for Truffaut unfortunately. Also, Le Samourai was in contention for my own list.

It's difficult to choose which Antonioni is the best; his production in that decade was incredible.

La Dolce Vita is also a very strong pick for Fellini in my opinion. That ending alone makes it list-worthy.

As for Godard, I find it really hard to get into his post-1970s work, but I think he made some strong films in this decade.

Not entirely sure which direction you're going with this, but feel as free as you want to include things. There's no reason not to include short films for example, anything from under a minute long to just under an hour, sure why not. I'd say no television series, but certain miniseries-type projects or such (i.e. Berlin Alexanderplatz or the television version of Fanny and Alexander) should be allowed.
Short Film!!!!:yippie::yippie::yippie::yippie:

My #1!!!!!:D

YouTube - Jim Henson's Time Piece [1965]

1 Time Piece (Henson,65)
2 Bedazzled (Donen,67)
3 Funny Girl (Wyler,68)
4 Lilies of the field (Nelson,63)
5 A patch of blue (Green,65)
6 The odd couple (Saks,68)
7 The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, (Neame,69)
8 Psycho (Hitchcock,60)
9 The Graduate (Nichols 67)
10 Mary Poppins (Stevens,64)​

Yeah I thought the compositions were pretty interesting but I didn't care for the songs very much, and going in I thought I would feel the opposite. There are far better musicals for me, even from that decade of decline.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone, 68)
2. The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 62)
3. The Trial (Welles, 62)
4. Daisies (Chytilova, 66)
5. Jules and Jim (Truffaut, 62)
6. The Naked Kiss (Fuller, 64)
7. Red Beard (Kurosawa, 65)
8. Army of Shadows (Melville, 69)
9. Les Biches (Chabrol, 67)
10. The Young Girls of Rochefort (Demy, 67)

The toughest decade so far for me. I can't believe I had to leave off Resnais, Fellini, Buñuel, and Antonioni. Sorry Italy, but the French owned this decade.

On the whole, I agree. But I just prefer Jules and Jim to any of Antonioni's single films, and it's certainly one of Truffaut's more visually dynamic works.

Keep in mind, I still haven't watched my Blu-Ray of Red Desert; it was creeping around my Top 10 and is my favorite of his but didn't quite make it.

I'm giving him a hard time, as per usual. I do like Jules and Jim though. But it's the only Truffaut I really respond to, whereas I do genuinely believe Antonioni might be the most artistically vital filmmaker to really come to prominence that decade.

Also, anyone, and I mean ANYONE who hasn't seen Daisies needs to correct that immediately. One of the most inventive films I've ever seen, and one can see the immense effect it had on the French New Wave.

The Region 2 disc from Second Run is great, but there is a Region 1 disc available.

I'm giving him a hard time, as per usual. I do like Jules and Jim though. But it's the only Truffaut I really respond to, whereas I do genuinely believe Antonioni might be the most artistically vital filmmaker to really come to prominence that decade.

I'm not going to necessarily take issue with that, but I'd have a pretty hard time deciding between him and Resnais. I'm not sure I could find three Antonioni films that together would top Marienbad, Hiroshima, and Muriel.

Antonioni's filmography is certainly deeper, though.

Marienbad and Muriel don't quite stack up to a lot of Antonioni's work personally, and certainly not to Hiroshima, which is in my all-time top 5. But Just take Il Grido, L'aaventura, La Notte, L' Eclisse and Red Desert... yeah. All masterworks in a new cinematic language for the time. Hard to find a run like that in most director's resumes.

Of all the "great directors", I think Antonioni might be the only one I haven't seen a single film of.

Back
Top Bottom