Top 10 of the Decade: The 1940's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay I figured the 30's thread would result in limited discussion; let's see if this decade opens it up a bit more.

Again, one film per director please.

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Powell & Pressburger, 1943)
2. The Third Man (Reed, 1949)
3. The Lady From Shanghai (Welles, 1947)
4. The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946)
5. Meet Me In St. Louis (Minnelli, 1944)
6. Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock, 1943)
7. Letter From an Unknown Woman (Ophüls, 1948)
8. Scarlet Street (Lang, 1945)
9. The Grapes of Wrath (Ford, 1940)
10. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Sturges, 1944)

No foreign language stuff this time (not a strong decade for Europe due to the war, and I have yet to see any early Ozu or Mizoguchi), but Ophüls and Lang were at least expatriates working in Hollywood, and my top 2 are British.

For some reason, I find it much harder to make a list of the 1940s than of the 1930s.

This is difficult for me, purely because I haven't seen much from this decade. But the decade contains (probably) my all-time favorite movie, and a handful of others that I love and couldn't live without. So I thought I'd participate. A lot of these are going to end up being some "big" titles, but fuck it. I love them.

1. It's A Wonderful Life - Capra, 1946
2. Pinocchio - 1940
3. Citizen Kane - Welles, 1941
4. Bambi - 1942
5. Rebecca - Hitchcock, 1940
6. Casablanca - Curtiz, 1942
7. Hamlet - Olivier, 1948
8. Fantasia - 1940
9. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Huston, 1948
10. Miracle on 34th Street - Seaton, 1947

Ok, now I'm in it :lol:.
*Edit* er, or at least I thought I was, then I realized half the movies on my list were directed by Huston.

And, Oh, GAF, you picked Rebecca! I have such strong feelings about that film and book, but I still couldn't tell you whether or not they're positive feelings.

1. Casablanca (Curtiz, '42)
  2. The Maltese Falcon (Huston, '41)
  3. Double Indemnity (Wilder, '44)
  4. It's A Wonderful Life (Capra, '46)
  5. Notorious (Hitchcock, '46)
  6. Fantasia (Yeah, not listing them all, '40) [Mostly giving this one the benefit of the doubt based on memory, it's been far too long since last I saw it]
  7. Dumbo (Sharpsteen, '41)
  8. Great Expectations (Lean, '46)
  9. The Big Sleep (Hawks, '46)
  10. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (McLeod, '47)

Here goes nothing:

1. The Red Shoes (dir. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948)
2. Citizen Kane (dir. Orson Welles, 1941)
3. The Third Man (dir. Carol Reed, 1949)
4. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (dir. John Huston, 1948)
5. Notorious (dir. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946)
6. His Girl Friday (dir. Howard Hawks, 1940)
7. Meet Me in St. Louis (dir. Vincente Minnelli, 1944)
8. Fantasia (1940)
9. Double Indemnity (dir. Billy Wilder, 1944)
10. It's a Wonderful Life (dir. Frank Capra, 1941)

Notorious came close to making my list, but I went with Shadow of a Doubt at the last second.

I really had to trim some beloved titles as this was a very hard list to polish.

1. Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (Bresson, 1945)
2. Bicycle Thieves (de Sica, 1948)
3. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
4. The Third Man (Reed, 1949)
5. The War Trilogy (Rossellini, 1945-48)*
6. Le Corbeau (Clouzot, 1943)
7. The Red Shoes (Powell and Pressburger, 1948)
8. His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1940)**
9. Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock, 1940)
10. The Great Dictator (Chaplin, 1940)

* I know I'm cheating here. If I had to choose one of the three, it would probably be Rome Open City.

** I really need to see Colonel Blimp.

Another one here I'm not happy with, but eh. Next decade I should be good.

1. The Philadelphia Story (Cukor, 40)
2. Late Spring (Ozu, 49)
3. My Darling Clementine (Ford, 46)
4. The Third Man (Reed, 39)
5. Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock, 43)
6. The Red Shoes (Powell, 48)
7. Red River (Hawks, 48)
8. Pinocchio (Bunchofdudes, 40)
9. Casablanca (Curtiz, 42)
10. The Lady From Shanghai (Welles, 47)

1. Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (Bresson, 1945)

Coincidentally, the only Bresson I've seen. And also, (along with Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly and The Lade From Shanghai) a major influence on Rivette's Duelle. I really liked it.

** I really need to see Colonel Blimp.

Yeah. But most prefer The Red Shoes, as evidenced above. The photography is better but I find the combination of script, acting, and direction in Blimp hard to beat.

I still haven't gotten around to Blimp, despite it sounding like a film I'd probably enjoy even more than the one I listed.

1. The Philadelphia Story (Cukor, 40)
2. Late Spring (Ozu, 49)
3. My Darling Clementine (Ford, 46)
4. The Third Man (Reed, 39)
5. Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock, 43)
6. The Red Shoes (Powell, 48)
7. Red River (Hawks, 48)
8. Pinocchio (Bunchofdudes, 40)
9. Casablanca (Curtiz, 42)
10. The Lady From Shanghai (Welles, 47)

Your #1 nearly made my cut, but I already acknowledged Cukor on my 30's list with his equally-uncinematic Holiday.

Casablanca? Come on, man.

Yeah. But most prefer The Red Shoes, as evidenced above. The photography is better but I find the combination of script, acting, and direction in Blimp hard to beat.

I like The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus equally, but find the former to be the greater achievement. I really admire P&P a lot and will probably acknowledge Powell again in the 1960s with Peeping Tom (though there is a lot I need to put in that 1960s list...).

And on Bresson, I think he has many strong films but sometimes I have some trouble with the contrived acting. But I still admire Pickpocket, Diary of a Country Priest and A Man Escaped. Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne is appealing to me also because it came so early in comparison to the Nouvelle Vague and more innovative French cinema.

Still need to see Col. Blimp. The Philadelphia Story barely missed my cut as well.

Peeping Tom is the shit.

1. Casablanca – Curtiz
2. Citizen Kane – Welles
3. The Maltese Falcon – Huston
4. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp – Powell
5. Notorious – Hitchcock
6. Great Expectations – Lean
7. The Great Dictator – Chaplin
8. Double Indemnity – Wilder
9. It’s a wonderful life – Capra
10. Gaslight – Cukor

It's an entertaining film, but doesn't do much for me. Curtiz is a hack.

And yes, I still would have mentioned it even if you hadn't disgraced Welles with that placement.

I could easily make a top 10 from the lists already posted. I'll only repeat a couple. Thanks to Laz and Lance for their Ford picks, what a decade for him. I'll mention a less well known one, maybe not as good as the Westerns, but deserves a nod. And the Disney love from GAF and Ashley is awesome. Disney animation as a kid was a huge treat whenever it popped up. I shouldn't mention titles, but whatever. I don't know many foreign films, but Gump had Bicycle Thief. That film is heartwrenching, I can barely watch it. But so deserving of mention. When the dad is caught stealing, ugh....

Ok, a few more....

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston '48) One of my all time faves, just gets better every time I see it. "We don't need no stinkin' badges", Walter Huston dancing the jig when they strike big, his warnings about greed, and Bogart, in what I think is his greatest role, slowly sliding into madness and paranoia. His fate just brutal. Great film.

Best Years of Our Lives (Wyler '46) US vets try to blend back into civilian life. Extremely blunt for the time this was made, honest in its portrayal of the difficulties faced by physically and emotionally handicapped men, and the wives and families trying to cope with it all. A late in film scene of Dana Andrews tipping perilously close to insanity while sitting in an abandoned bomber plane..... amazing stuff.

They Were Expendable (Ford '45) Probably my favorite 40's WWII film. Could've chosen a half dozen others from Ford. But rarely considered, this one is a rarity in that it shows the Americans on the losing end throughout. Story of the Phillipines, the evacuation of MacArthur, and the many soldiers and civilians left behind to face imprisonment and probably death at the hands of the Japanese. Mostly, this is about American PT boats that stayed behind to harass the Japanese army and which were all eventually lost. Mixed in with actual footage, a real feat for Ford to wrench so much emotion out of this.

White Heat (Walsh '49) Great Cagney gangster film. Cody Jarrett has bad headaches, bad temper, a mother complex (wait till he finds out in prison that she has passed on), Big Ed to worry about, a hot girlfriend, and serious paranoia. A real fun ride til' he gets to the "Top o' the world, ma!"

Duel In the Sun (Vidor '46) Land wars, brotherly jealousy over a woman, Lionel Barrymore, Gregory Peck as the bad brother, and Jennifer Jones :drool: . Quite scandalous for the times but a great film.

Mighty Joe Young (Schoedsack? '49) Lovable Joe, similar to Kong. Joe loves hearing "Beautiful Dreamer". Fine effects from Harryhausen. Max O'Hara brings Joe back to the states. He also brought Kong back. Lets hope Joe doesn't meet the same fate :)

Lifeboat (Hitchcock '44) One of my favorite early Hitchcock. Survivors,after being sunk by a Nazi U boat, float in liferaft with the U boat captain.

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (Barton '48) Laurel & Hardy were fading, but A & C picked up the slack. This is probably their best film. It includes all 3 of the Universal mosters, Frankenstein, Dracula & Wolfman. Though not mentioned, Invisible Man pops up in the last scene :D

Kiss of Death (Hathaway '47) Sorta like White Heat. Richard Widmark in maybe his best role, also one of his first. He's a crazed psychopath criminal who is being set up by the cops, who use Victor Mature to do it. His laugh alone makes this one worth watching. Pushing granny down the stairs in her wheelchair is a bonus :wink:

The Egg & I (Erskine '47) Gotta throw in a screwball comedy. There were so many in the 30's and 40's. This one unleashed Ma & Pa Kettle on the public. Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert try to make a go of it on the farm. Right up there with all the other comedies.

I promise I won't write so much when we get to more recent times :lol:

Oh, and for all the Double Indemnity fans, I would highly recommend Sorry, Wrong Number. Very similar, but possibly more suspenseful.

1. Duel In The Sun (Vidor,46)
2. The Philadelphia Story (Cukor,40)
3. It's A Wonderful Life ( Capra, 46)
4. Meet Me In St. Louis (Minnelli, 44)
5. Mildred Pierce ( Curtiz, 45)
6. Grapes of Wrath ( Ford, 40)
7.The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (Mc Leod, 47)
8. Fantasia ( Algar,40)
9. Bambi (Hand, 42)
10. Pinocchio ( Luske, 40)

Best Movie Ending Ever Duel In The Sun!!!!:love::love::love::love:
plus Peck playing a bad guy in the movie:combust::combust::combust::combust:

That film is heartwrenching, I can barely watch it. But so deserving of mention. When the dad is caught stealing, ugh....

I've seen it once, I didn't recall liking it all that much at the time, but in retrospect it's grown on me. Didn't feel comfortable ranking it though do to the unfamiliarity.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Huston '48) One of my all time faves, just gets better every time I see it. "We don't need no stinkin' badges", Walter Huston dancing the jig when they strike big, his warnings about greed, and Bogart, in what I think is his greatest role, slowly sliding into madness and paranoia. His fate just brutal. Great film.

It was so hard picking between that and The Maltese Falcon. Even now I'm not sure about the decision.

Oh, and for all the Double Indemnity fans, I would highly recommend Sorry, Wrong Number. Very similar, but possibly more suspenseful.

Then I will definitely take that under advisement.

Top ten cigarette smoke-filled films from the forties:

Key Largo (48) Huston
Notorious (46) Hitchcock
Double Indemnity (44) B Wilder
Laura (44) Preminger
Dead Men Tell (41) Lachman (A stylistic B movie)
The Philadelphia Story (40) Cukor
The Big Sleep (46) Hawks
Out of the Past (47) Tourneur
The Bank Dick (40) Cline
The Devil & Daniel Webster (41) Dieterle (My all-time favorite "This movie will blow you away" film because so few people have seen it and it's sooooo good.

The Bank Dick (40) Cline

Love how WC Fields is always looking for a chance to grab a 'drink' :)

The Devil & Daniel Webster (41) Dieterle (My all-time favorite "This movie will blow you away" film because so few people have seen it and it's sooooo good.

Edward Arnold terrific again. And the devil (Walter Huston) looking right at you at the end and pointing or saying something is awesome.

Edward Arnold terrific again. And the devil (Walter Huston) looking right at you at the end and pointing or saying something is awesome.

The-Devil-And-Daniel-Webster-(1941)---Edward-Arnold-and-Simone-Simon-797033.jpg

Simone Simon ain't bad either.

Oh God, Key Largo.

The one thing that has stuck with me from that film is the part where Robinson whispers something in Bacall's ear, but you never find out what it was. (I hope you know what I'm talking about). That always kind of chilled me.

Back
Top Bottom