Top 10 of the Decade: The 1930's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lad you liked it. It's definitely one of my favorite French films from that period (obviously, since it was in my list...). Which version did you get, by the way? It's a shame it wasn't complete...

You might want to check out Le Million as well, which is also very good. I have yet to see Under the Roofs of Paris, but is also pretty acclaimed.

I have a soft spot for French directors that did not stay under Vichy during the war, so Clair has some points in my book.

Pretty sure it was the Criterion release. I only knew the scenes were missing because I read on wiki afterwards that they're not usually included in the film anymore in general, but it seemed like they were pretty important to explain some things, aesthetically like I said. The scene that made it look like the flowers were singing to Louis in the field would've made me understand it was supposed to look like the wreath of flowers over the love interest's window were singing as well, as I was apparently supposed to see it, but without that scene, I didn't get that connection. It was also missing the "lovers' quarrel in the park" scene, or whatever it was Wiki called it.

I'm definitely open to checking out more, so I'll be sure to add those to the list.

I feel like I'm going to come back to this thread in a couple months with an updated list. Probably the 40s too. So that's something.

I've already got a few more films to add to my list as well, very glad to get this decade (and the next) a bit more fleshed out.

Back
Top Bottom