Top 10 Depressing Movies In Your Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
For me, in no particular order:

1.Raging Bull
2.Requiem For a Dream
3.Leaving Las Vegas
4.The World According to Garp
5.American History X
6.Monster's Ball
7.The Deer Hunter
8.The Power of One
9.Terms of Endearment
10.Life Is Beautiful

I'm not sure any movie has left me feeling so void after viewing than Requiem, so that's at least my #1. I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

Yeah Easy Rider is up there for me. I wasn't prepared for how that movie ended :(

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I watched that movie for the first time a couple of months ago on Netflix and the ending was definitely a bummer.

So are these the ten most depressing movies or are these the ten greatest movies that happen to be depressing?

woahdere.png

I figured it was the latter, but I watch a lot of depressing shit. It's tough to just pick 10 I like.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
2. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
3. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Nichols, 1966)
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Forman, 1975)
5. Trainspotting (Boyle, 1996)
6. Ordinary People (Redford, 1980)
7. Amour (Haneke, 2012)
8. Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)
9. The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
10. A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavetes, 1974)

Honorable mention: Brazil. That ending stuck with me for a long time.

Last edited:
Grave of the Fireflies.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to see this paired with My Neighbour Totoro on initial release.

Just off the top of my head and no particular order:

L'Avventura
Kanal
The Lives of Others
Three Colours: Blue
Sid and Nancy
Requiem for a dream
Cries and Whispers
Chinatown
Babette's Feast
The Enigma of Kasper Hauser

ten greatest movies that happen to be depressing

these two would make my greatest/depressing movies list

Melancholia - beautifully shot,

Jean de Florette / Manon of the Spring - it has been awhile since I watched these, but I still think of them often, I need to do a re-watch.

Well fine then.

I just looked at the entry in that link...not nearly the succinct story I usually see written. That was very poorly edited and the last few paragraphs are borderline insane.

That was pretty short of me, but after looking at a couple of sites regarding that theory it just doesn't hold water. Spoilered for going off topic.

The ones I saw ignore the end credits depicting the mother returning home and the girls playing with new friends (and perhaps a bew baby sister). It's the equivalent of what the studio did to Brazil to completely change the ending.
There are 3 scenes involving the girls interacting with Totoro, none of which has them in any way close to death.
It's implied that childhood innocence is a factor in seeing Totoro and co, when the old neighbour lady mentions seeing the dust bunnies as a girl.
The reason both girls are named after a variation of May is because originally they were to be the one character, it's why Mei is absent from the posters depicting the bus stop scene.
Ghibli have flat out denied it and have him as their company mascot. That would be pretty grim if he was the God of Death.
I'll give you that there are multiple shrines to the deceased but that just ties in to the spirits present in the film.

Have you heard the one about Ferris Bueller being a figment of Cameron's fever-wracked mind?

As for other great depressing films, Von Trier also has Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark. Meloncholia was a pretty earth shattering story, but Christ Bjork goes through some shit in Dancer. And The Bicycle Thieves is pretty heavy.

Man, Jean de Florette made me so angry. Marvelous film, but the sense of injustice and human greed still lingers when I think about it.

Again, that's based on my personal opinion of films that cross the threshold of "depressing." That film is almost unwatchably sad. If I were ranking them purely based on how depressing they are, Grave of the Fireflies would be considerably higher.

A Woman Under the Influence would probably be #1 for me. God, that was a drag. I thought there were glimmers of hope, but they would just get snuffed out a minute or two later.

That was pretty short of me, but after looking at a couple of sites regarding that theory it just doesn't hold water. Spoilered for going off topic.

The ones I saw ignore the end credits depicting the mother returning home and the girls playing with new friends (and perhaps a bew baby sister). It's the equivalent of what the studio did to Brazil to completely change the ending.
There are 3 scenes involving the girls interacting with Totoro, none of which has them in any way close to death.
It's implied that childhood innocence is a factor in seeing Totoro and co, when the old neighbour lady mentions seeing the dust bunnies as a girl.
The reason both girls are named after a variation of May is because originally they were to be the one character, it's why Mei is absent from the posters depicting the bus stop scene.
Ghibli have flat out denied it and have him as their company mascot. That would be pretty grim if he was the God of Death.
I'll give you that there are multiple shrines to the deceased but that just ties in to the spirits present in the film.

Have you heard the one about Ferris Bueller being a figment of Cameron's fever-wracked mind?

As for other great depressing films, Von Trier also has Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark. Meloncholia was a pretty earth shattering story, but Christ Bjork goes through some shit in Dancer. And The Bicycle Thieves is pretty heavy.

Haha, I didn't take offense. I don't buy into that theory, at all, btw, I just enjoy it because it's fun to take a few moments that can suddenly seem like something completely different when someone gives you a thread to grasp onto.

The Ferris Bueller one is one of my absolute favorite fan-theories. I can't help but have it cross my mind any time I watch the film, now.

I'm trying to think if I've actually ever seen a really depressing movie. I've certainly seen movies that have depressing parts but I think they've all left me smiling at the end.

Back
Top Bottom