Top 10 Depressing Movies In Your Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a point whether firing real bullets makes it a good movie. If anything, it was a ludicrous move from the director. The point is that I find your assessment of the acting in the movie, especially since it was made in such circumstances where Elem Klimov put his actors in situations where no acting was actually needed, even going so far that the emotional toll on the main actor was such that he was by the end physically completely drained out, as downright bizarre. You haven't provided a single example from the film where the message is heavy-handed or where the acting is over-the-top, since I feel the film accomplishes, apart from maybe one scene which I did feel went too far, the complete opposite.

And the film is too good to waste the viewing experience by watching it on a shitty Dailymotion video. If you're watching movies that way, I can't say I'm surprised in you being dismissive about it.

The entire movie is over the top! If you don't think the shooting of Hitler picture isn't over-the-top and heavy-handed then I envy you.

I don't want to watch boring shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnqpMXcr0Qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YF4iQT4XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFERzHlhRo

I didn't watch it in Dailymotion and in fact Dailymotion is probably better than the VHS I watched. A perfect blu-ray wouldn't change my opinion.

Ah, now it's "boring shit". Now we're talkin'. Finally out of the foxhole.

I also don't see any point in posting one-minute YouTube excerpts from the film. Why would you even want to spoil stuff for people here who have expressed interest in watching it? It is a movie with a very specific, surreal and disturbing atmosphere that has to be seen from beginning to end. Out-of-context clips prove nothing. Klimov's use of close-ups, combined with a brilliant sound design akin to Lynch's best movies, portray a suffocating and frightful atmosphere that is a result of the boy's damaged, subjective perspective.

Actually, the Hitler scene is the one where I was implying the movie may have gone too far. However, I see zero "over-the-top acting" there as well. Aleksey Kravchenko gives a stunning performance. His transformation by the end of the film is truly terrifying.

It's a movie with one of the best sound designs out there. It's the movie where I actually found for the first time there was absolutely no war glorification and mythology about it. Steven Spielberg screened it to his crew before making Saving Private Ryan, but I don't think he came near its power and visceral feel.

Ah, now it's "boring shit". Now we're talkin'. Finally out of the foxhole.

I also don't see any point in posting one-minute YouTube excerpts from the film. Why would you even want to spoil stuff for people here who have expressed interest in watching it? It is a movie with a very specific, surreal and disturbing atmosphere that has to be seen from beginning to end. Out-of-context clips prove nothing. Klimov's use of close-ups, combined with a brilliant sound design akin to Lynch's best movies, portray a suffocating and frightful atmosphere that is a result of the boy's damaged, subjective perspective.

Actually, the Hitler scene is the one where I was implying the movie may have gone too far. However, I see zero "over-the-top acting" there as well. Aleksey Kravchenko gives a stunning performance. His transformation by the end of the film is truly terrifying.

It's a movie with one of the best sound designs out there. It's the movie where I actually found for the first time there was absolutely no war glorification and mythology about it. Steven Spielberg screened it to his crew before making Saving Private Ryan, but I don't think he came near its power and visceral feel.

Don't ask me for examples and get mad that I provided examples. I also provided a free way of seeing the movie so if people want to watch it from the the beginning they can decide for themselves instead of spending money hunting down a DVD somewhere. BTW Saving Private Ryan for many people will be a much better movie than Come and See. It also has a great sound design if that's important. :D

Can we agree to disagree? You're not going to convince me. If I'm taken out of the movie right away by the acting and storytelling I'm not going to get the same result you did with the satisfaction you got with transformation of the actor at the end. It's YOUR perception, and not mine. There are details in the movie you liked and many of those details I didn't like. These disagreements are all over every form of art. Some movies will satisfy only a percentage of the overall audience. Get over it!

You provide examples by writing them, using spoiler tags if necessary. You don't post a clip of the ending. That's how this should work.

Since you again seem to miss the point - it wasn't about convincing you. It was about shining a light on some very lazy criticisms, which could have scared away some people here who have seemed eager about watching the film. As to "getting over it", it's fairly obvious who got agitated more from this discussion. I for one don't feel the need to use caps lock and exclamation marks to prove a point.

Toodle-oo.

You provide examples by writing them, using spoiler tags if necessary. You don't post a clip of the ending. That's how this should work.

Since you again seem to miss the point - it wasn't about convincing you. It was about shining a light on some very lazy criticisms, which could have scared away some people who have seemed eager about watching the film. As to "getting over it", it's fairly obvious who got agitated more from this discussion.

Toodle-oo.

They're not lazy criticisms you just don't like the fact that some people can have good reasons for not liking a movie. Bad acting, unrealistic scenes that look stupid to intelligent people is going to make many people not like it. Lots of critics like strange movies simply because they are weird or different from the pack precisely because they've seen so many conventional movies.

To make a movie like this better for audience members like me you would have actual research of the massacres during that period and then have realistic dialogue that people would actually say and realistic battle scenes (which would cost a lot of money). Maybe have characters that are based on real people. Have good actors doing good acting with good dialog. Then you would have a huge classic that more people would like.

Basically I would want a Schindler's List version of this story and I would be singing the praises everywhere of how good it could be. This is my PERSONAL taste and not something you should guide yourself with.

Looking at criterion forums you can see example after example of people blind buying movies simply because critics like them but find out in horror how unaccessable/outdated/controversial a lot of the material is. They aren't stupid or lack taste if they don't get it. They aren't the audience for it.

I… don't even know where to begin. You seem to put yourself in the role of a messenger for "regular people" as opposed to the "critics". You also seem to have a recipe for making a classic film. Well, let's go over that assessment.

Let's just say first that the film is already a huge classic. It's being lauded often for one of the best war films ever made and in general. It was a box-office hit in the Soviet Union, so it worked for a lot of "regular people" (almost 30 million admissions in that country alone). So it's hardly some kind of a critic ghetto film that you're trying to corner it in. There are places other than the US where movies can be hits, you know. It also wasn't a low-budget movie, which you seem to imply. The surreal feel of the film, enhanced by what you call "unrealistic dialogue", is intentional due to the disorientation and utter horror surviving children had experienced in the midst of a genocide - and bore testimonies after the fact, which was used as research basis for the film.

Which leads me to my next point. You seem to presume that no "actual research" was made for the film. The screenplay was written by somebody who was with partisans in Belarus during those events. Interviews were made with witnesses of the massacres. Research began 8 years before the movie was finally released. It was made in the country where the massacres occurred, in the language of the people. Something that many American movies, such as Schindler's List, do not necessarily do.

I don't mean to discredit Spielberg and Saving Private Ryan too much, since I do like the film, but its sentimentality and on-the-nose ending is one of the reasons why Western audiences find it easier to swallow. Schindler's List suffers from a similar syndrome (for a more honest and slightly less condescending depiction of the Holocaust - I find Claude Lanzmann's Shoah and Alain Resnais' Night and Fog to be far more powerful experiences). As Terry Gilliam had said, Spielberg offers nicely wrapped answers in his movies. Klimov refuses to offer such privileges to the viewer.

Realistic battle scenes? First of all, the plot of the movie doesn't necessitate big battle scenes. Secondly, there is one riveting scene of an organised massacre that I find to be gruesomely authentic.

Characters were based on real people. But I fail to see how would that make the film necessarily more realistic. It could precisely have the opposite effect. One of the main criticisms that Schindler's List frequently gets is that it greatly exaggerated the Oskar Schindler character, particularly in that weepy "I could have done more!" ending.

Seriously, not liking the film is perfectly fine. Making stuff up about how it was poorly researched is really stretching it.

I… don't even know where to begin. You seem to put yourself in the role of a messenger for "regular people" as opposed to the "critics". You also seem to have a recipe for making a classic film. Well, let's go over that assessment.

Let's just say first that the film is already a huge classic. It's being lauded often for one of the best war films ever made and in general. It was a box-office hit in the Soviet Union, so it worked for a lot of "regular people" (almost 30 million admissions in that country alone). So it's hardly some kind of a critic ghetto film that you're trying to corner it in. There are places other than the US where movies can be hits, you know. It also wasn't a low-budget movie, which you seem to imply. The surreal feel of the film, enhanced by what you call "unrealistic dialogue", is intentional due to the disorientation and utter horror surviving children had experienced in the midst of a genocide - and bore testimonies after the fact, which was used as research basis for the film.

Which leads me to my next point. You seem to presume that no "actual research" was made for the film. The screenplay was written by somebody who was with partisans in Belarus during those events. Interviews were made with witnesses of the massacres. Research began 8 years before the movie was finally released. It was made in the country where the massacres occurred, in the language of the people. Something that many American movies, such as Schindler's List, do not necessarily do.

I don't mean to discredit Spielberg and Saving Private Ryan too much, since I do like the film, but its sentimentality and on-the-nose ending is one of the reasons why Western audiences find it easier to swallow. Schindler's List suffers from a similar syndrome (for a more honest and slightly less condescending depiction of the Holocaust - I find Claude Lanzmann's Shoah and Alain Resnais' Night and Fog to be far more powerful experiences). As Terry Gilliam had said, Spielberg offers nicely wrapped answers in his movies. Klimov refuses to offer such privileges to the viewer.

Realistic battle scenes? First of all, the plot of the movie doesn't necessitate big battle scenes. Secondly, there is one riveting scene of an organised massacre that I find to be gruesomely authentic.

Characters were based on real people. But I fail to see how would that make the film necessarily more realistic. It could precisely have the opposite effect. One of the main criticisms that Schindler's List frequently gets is that it greatly exaggerated the Oskar Schindler character, particularly in that weepy "I could have done more!" ending.

Seriously, not liking the film is perfectly fine. Making stuff up about how it was poorly researched is really stretching it.

This movie is too surrealist in emotions and heavy-handed in it's messaging, and that takes away from the effect of the movie for me. The small changes in Schindler's List don't take away the power of that ending. These two movies (for my taste) are the pole opposites on how to execute a movie that MOVES the audience. Whatever "reality" or research was done it didn't make it into a moving movie that's convincing for me. The fact that lots of Soviets watched the movie doesn't matter for me. If the movie was unpopular in the Soviet Union but was less surreal I would probably like it more.

I'm glad you mentioned Night and Fog because that is haunting without being surreal and boring.

This is completely unrelated to most of this discussion, but I find it funny when people claim that watching a movie on a site like Dailymotion means you are completely incapable of making a decision on it. Maybe that's true for newer movies, but I remember what 80s VHS tapes looked like...I'm getting a much better viewing experience from a stream. If people could voice their opinions on a film shown in theaters in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc, my viewing of it today is probably just about as good. If you think about it, watching a criterion release of an older film is almost cheating :wink:.

This is completely unrelated to most of this discussion, but I find it funny when people claim that watching a movie on a site like Dailymotion means you are completely incapable of making a decision on it. Maybe that's true for newer movies, but I remember what 80s VHS tapes looked like...I'm getting a much better viewing experience from a stream. If people could voice their opinions on a film shown in theaters in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc, my viewing of it today is probably just about as good. If you think about it, watching a criterion release of an older film is almost cheating :wink:.

Although I didn't say one is incapable of making a decision, I do think it is (most of the time) a terrible way to watch a film, especially the shitty quality of that video posted here. VHS tapes I watched when I was little weren't nearly that bad. The power of cinematography, sound design and the possibility to see the immense detail this film offers in practically every scene enhances the viewing by hundreds of times. However, today's streams are of course of differing quality and there are certainly high-quality ones. But not this one.

Anyways, this gives me an excuse to post this clip, which never fails to amuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Bridegroom
Brokeback Mountain

both very depressing gay themed movies

also the last Star Wars movie, not because of the content or story, as much as it just wasn't really all that good

Did anyone mention Dancing in the Dark? I was depressed for a couple of days after leaving the theater.

We're not going to wait forever for your list.

At some point, we just won't care anymore and this thread will be long forgotten.

Have you gotten yourself drunk on Phil Collins' blood again while listening to Another Day in Paradise and lost your senses? The name of the movie is One Day starring Ann Hathaway and Jim Sturgess.

Have you gotten yourself drunk on Phil Collins' blood again while listening to Another Day in Paradise and lost your senses? The name of the movie is One Day starring Ann Hathaway and Jim Sturgess.

I...I think he knew that...

I thought Courtney Cox was quite uplifting (or uplifted) in that.

:wink:

Oops. Dancer in the Dark. And thanks for the entertainement - I had not seen that video.

7.jpg

I watched some of it on YouTube some years ago after reading about it online. It was pretty fucking disturbing.

Signed,

Someone who still gets chills of horror thinking about The Day After

Back
Top Bottom