Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Bill Simmons (who apparently knows people?), Conan's calling guests for next week and telling them that it's his last. He's trying to lock down a killer guest list, apparently.

You know how tight he is with Kimmel. Word is he's booked The White Stripes and Phish as musical guests.

I'm guessing Will Ferrell will show up at some point and do an un-sexy striptease.

You know how tight he is with Kimmel. Word is he's booked The White Stripes and Phish as musical guests.

I'm guessing Will Ferrell will show up at some point and do an un-sexy striptease.
I'd have thought he'd talked to guests who were asked, but it's probably more likely that Kimmel told him shit that was going on.

Word is he's booked The White Stripes and Phish as musical guests.

But I thought he wants a killer guest list. Can't he do better than that? :huh:

But I thought he wants a killer guest list. Can't he do better than that? :huh:

Considering that he had the White Stripes on his last show in NYC, I'm assuming they are personal favorites of his and that his goal is to try to book more favorites as opposed to "better" acts.

Considering that he had the White Stripes on his last show in NYC, I'm assuming they are personal favorites of his and that his goal is to try to book more favorites as opposed to "better" acts.

I guess I should have said I wish Conan had better taste. :wink:

And this would be the first White Stripes live gig since like 2007, wouldn't it?

If by gig you mean any performance, see NSW's post above.

i'd guess the church are already booked elsewhere

No. Conan just doesn't have good enough ratings for them to bother. :tongue: :D

I ordered Bill Carter's Late Shift book to help understand the context of the greater late night feud between Leno/Letterman. Heard it's an engaging read as well.

I ordered Bill Carter's Late Shift book to help understand the context of the greater late night feud between Leno/Letterman. Heard it's an engaging read as well.

I didn't read the book, but I saw the HBO movie and that was really good.

20067_595367027737_19608986_34690233_7242382_n.jpg

Anyone watching, Didn't Conan make that joke about the Weight Watchers meeting last night too?

I thought at the start that moving Conan to the Tonight Show was probably a mistake. He 's just too quirky for that audience. And I think NBC should have given Dave the first offer of the show, considering what he made NBC's Late Night into. And shown Johnny some respect in honoring his preference of successor (Dave), since he made it pretty easy on them the way he exited.

Leno, to me, is a guy who writes decent jokes. A stand up comedian. Which is why his monologues were ok. But a very weak interviewer, who's questions generally reached for the lowest common denominator. Sexual innuendo, gossip..... all while he had that smirk on his face along with that cackle. His skits were second rate Late Night takeoffs. Trying to get the common man on the street to do or say something stupid, with none of the humor Letterman was able to elicit. Didn't help that Leno was doing it with LA phonies as opposed to New Yorkers. But Leno trying to lead people into things was the biggest problem.

Dave is from the Carson school as far as interviews go. He would go to great lengths to make his guests look good, even at his own expense. This was their job to do. And when tough times arose (like 9/11), he was eloquent and comforting, speaking from the heart. He can get a bit mean & isn't nearly as good as he was on Late Night, but he would have fit perfectly into Johnny's seat, and deserved the first shot at it.

So it's a big mess. NBC execs look like dimwits now. No surprise there. These are the same sort of people who ran the music companies into the ground. Same corporations squandering every opportunity in the last 30 years to keep their product relevant due to arrogance, narrow mindedness and greed.

You can't blame Leno for wanting the job back, but he really comes out of this looking bad, imo. I hope Letterman is able to maintain the ratings lead if Leno does go back to the Tonight Show.

My guess is that the only way Leno comes good out this one, is by completely giving up on coming back.....but that is not happening.

He made a different joke on the same story. Sometimes he takes a story and runs with it for a little while if he likes it. :D

That was odd since he really didn't play too much on it tonight at all, more mentioned it in passing at the end of the monologue.

Back
Top Bottom