Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #316
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Conan can play a mean guitar.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #317
War Child
 
Earl-Of-IMDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a very peaceful place
Posts: 805
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Conan can play a mean guitar.
yep. I saw him rocking out
__________________

__________________
Earl-Of-IMDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #318
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
That was an amazing ending.

My favorite part? "To be continued..."

I'll follow Coco anywhere.


Wow, amazing show tonight. I cried a few times.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." ♥ Conan

Classy ending...Can't wait to see what the future holds for him!
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #319
War Child
 
Butterscotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 716
Local Time: 05:37 AM
That was an incredible show. I just kept thinking, NBC wanted to get rid of this? What fools! I hope nobody watches Jay and they end up having to cancel him and have nobody. They could have at least surveyed the audience to see which host was preferred before they made such a rash decision.
__________________
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #320
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Oh, man, I totally tuned out when I saw Will Farrell come out to play music. I hate it when comedians perform as singers; it's never funny. It was bad enough having Tom Hanks as a guest. So dull.

They should have just brought back the Walker, Texas Ranger clips and Masturbating Bear or the TV Clinton/Arafat/etc. Those were the days.

I don't have too much sympathy for Conan. He wasn't the good boy just waiting for "The Tonight Show". He threatened to leave, so NBC panicked and offered him the show. Leno accepted and he would have left to another network, but NBC wanted him, too. NBC behaved without honor, but, given how much money Conan has made ($40 million) and will make when he moves to another network, I don't feel too bad. Leno's kind of a dick, but he doesn't ask for nearly as much money and he's at least somewhat honest politically, whereas Conan tries, like Obama, to steer some bogus moderate path.

Both Leno and Conan would be much better if they stopped putting on the facade -- the pretense for the audience. If they were more real, I'd love them again, but Leno lost me in the mid-'90s when he started using expressions like "Duh!" (in a sarcastic female teen impersonation) and Conan did the same around 2000 or 2004, when he started repeating annoying movements like running out on stage in slow motion and making fun of his appearance.

Jeff Zucker is a real prick, though. The guy brought in more reality TV, after all.
__________________
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I don't have too much sympathy for Conan. He wasn't the good boy just waiting for "The Tonight Show". He threatened to leave, so NBC panicked and offered him the show. Leno accepted and he would have left to another network, but NBC wanted him, too. NBC behaved without honor, but, given how much money Conan has made ($40 million) and will make when he moves to another network, I don't feel too bad. Leno's kind of a dick, but he doesn't ask for nearly as much money and he's at least somewhat honest politically, whereas Conan tries, like Obama, to steer some bogus moderate path.
This is what happened, except the exact opposite.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #322
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is what happened, except the exact opposite.
remember who you're quoting. i prefer to just let him live in his own little world.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #323
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Move in Mysterious Ways View Post
I really wish that Letterman ended being the odd man out of late night. The guy looks like he's been running on fumes since 1995. He's annoying, his comedy is lazy and out of touch and he doesn't look like he bothers to prep for his interviews. That's in addition to being a bigger dirtbag than we thought. I was pretty shocked that he ended up beating Conan in the ratings as easily as he has.
I kind of agree, except I like Letterman's willingness to give voice to his liberalism. Often, Jay tries to play both sides (like Conan), but lets slip his more nationalistic tendencies, which are at least honest.

Letterman is lazy as hell, though.

When the writers' strike was on in 2007-2008, I checked out the comedy on Letterman's writers' website and some of the stuff was hilarious. Then I watched Letterman again when he came back and the same material wasn't funny, I realized, because he has such a bad delivery. He also gets paid the most. He got $14 million a year when he moved to CBS in 1993 (compared to Leno, who only got $3 million), and, last I checked, was making $26 million a year. That's a lot for almost no work.

I think I'd like him the most personally, though, but I could be wrong.

I used to love him on NBC, though. I don't know if it's because I was a kid, but I loved "Viewer Mail" and Larry Bud Melman. The "CBS Mailbag" was never as funny.
YouTube - Larry "Bud" Melman Greets Travellers, Part 1
(I've been trying to find a really funny skit, but maybe it was partly that I was young, though I do recall a sudden shift toward less funniness.)
__________________
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
remember who you're quoting. i prefer to just let him live in his own little world.
Maybe Conan's not POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL enough for late night television.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #325
Acrobat
 
Spun2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 409
Local Time: 12:37 AM
NBC bailed on Leno's show to soon. Wish Conan the best!
__________________
Spun2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #326
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
 
Carek1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: wishing I was somewhere else....
Posts: 114,587
Local Time: 09:37 PM
It was tough watching Conan's last show last night but I felt he handled himself well and his speech was from his heart and honest. I wish him well and hope to see him on TV again. I really don't want to watch Leno or Letterman...I only tune in if there is a guest I'm interested in.
__________________
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Oh, man, I totally tuned out when I saw Will Farrell come out to play music. I hate it when comedians perform as singers; it's never funny. It was bad enough having Tom Hanks as a guest. So dull.

They should have just brought back the Walker, Texas Ranger clips and Masturbating Bear or the TV Clinton/Arafat/etc. Those were the days.

I don't have too much sympathy for Conan. He wasn't the good boy just waiting for "The Tonight Show". He threatened to leave, so NBC panicked and offered him the show. Leno accepted and he would have left to another network, but NBC wanted him, too. NBC behaved without honor, but, given how much money Conan has made ($40 million) and will make when he moves to another network, I don't feel too bad. Leno's kind of a dick, but he doesn't ask for nearly as much money and he's at least somewhat honest politically, whereas Conan tries, like Obama, to steer some bogus moderate path.

Both Leno and Conan would be much better if they stopped putting on the facade -- the pretense for the audience. If they were more real, I'd love them again, but Leno lost me in the mid-'90s when he started using expressions like "Duh!" (in a sarcastic female teen impersonation) and Conan did the same around 2000 or 2004, when he started repeating annoying movements like running out on stage in slow motion and making fun of his appearance.

Jeff Zucker is a real prick, though. The guy brought in more reality TV, after all.

Oh, I am SO glad that you're back. I was beginning to worry that the Jews got you. Either that or you ate yourself into a lonely, diabetic coma.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #328
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
(I've been trying to find a really funny skit, but maybe it was partly that I was young, though I do recall a sudden shift toward less funniness.)
Must've been before puberty turned your world into a black chasm
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Oh, I am SO glad that you're back. I was beginning to worry that the Jews got you. Either that or you ate yourself into a lonely, diabetic coma.
A close friend of mine is Jewish and my brother's diabetic. I'm dangerous right now.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #330
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I used to love him on NBC, though. I don't know if it's because I was a kid, but I loved "Viewer Mail" and Larry Bud Melman.
Lila and I paged Larry Bud a number of times while waiting in line to see Late Night filmed at the Bally's, Las Vegas. Around '86

We were standing in line, in the casino. And everyonce in a while the place echoed with:

"Paging, Larry Bud Melman. Please come to the courtesy phone. Larry...

Bud......... Melman
__________________

__________________
hardyharhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
conan, conan o'brien, the tonight show, tonight show

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com