Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leno didn't do anything to Conan. If anyone did, it was you and me. We did not give him enough market share to keep his show, or one could say he did not earn it from us. :shrug:

I read an article yesterday, that the FOX deal was going sideways.

I hope he got a solid contract. This placement will not draw a very big audience.

sooooooooooo Conan did to George Lopez what Leno did to Conan?

That's the first thing I thought of. It really is a very similar situation.

Not sure what to think of this, yet. Interesting stuff.

EDIT: Missed Diane's post. That makes things different and, if it's true, is a classy and admirable move by Lopez.

If only Conan were as accommodating and classy as George Lopez is, he might still be on network television.

Also, I wonder if Lopez's producer, director, writers and production staff are "cool with it".

I was wondering what happened to Conan. I'm glad to hear that he's going to be back on tv. I missed him.

Also, Leno is not funny, and never was. I'm a David Letterman fan, I watch him instead of Leno.

If only Conan were as accommodating and classy as George Lopez is, he might still be on network television.

Also, I wonder if Lopez's producer, director, writers and production staff are "cool with it".

I'm sure they are, apparently they really support the idea of Conan being their lead in, and I read today that TBS has been seeing a great increase in 20 something viewer ship.

^I'm not trying to spin it, this is just what I'm reading.

I'm just trying postive, because unlike you, I do care (But that's fine if you don't)...because I'm looking foward to watching Conan again.

Being on basic cable isn’t quite the kids’ table it used to be, and the lack of network pressure on TBS and its basic-cableness in general might allow Conan and his writers unprecedented freedom on the show, an assuredly positive thing...so I'm pretty excited for Conan.

Don't know how this is hurting George Lopez, I finally have an excuse to watch his show now. Win/Win.

well... it would be interesting to see how the Lopez thing plays out... if he really was ok with the deal and suggested it, as he's saying, or if he's just being the good soldier.

i hope the first is true and that he's all on board, and even suggested the idea... because, as much as i find george lopez to be incredibly unfunny, it wouldn't be cool if conan and tbs did the same thing to him that leno and nbc did to conan.

and yes, leno could have said "no, that's not right for you to do that to conan" and walked away gracefully, and/or walked off to another network. he didn't. so nbc may have screwed conan more, leno did screw conan.

as long as it's all kosher.. and coco returns to new york city... then i'm all for it. i could care less about basic cable vs. cable. this isn't the 80's.

I can imagine that Lopez is totally cool with it... For example, I'd heard he had a show but had no clue what channel and when...now I do, because of Conan. Conan can only bring in more viewers to his (Lopez's) own show. If he retains even a small portion of Conan's audience in addition to his existing one, then he wins.

that's about what I was thinking, too

it could even be better for Lopez, puts him in the same league

there are no bad guys in any of this, it was phony posturing by Conan, him saying he did not want to do to Lopez what was done to him

well, Conan did it to himself, he took a no. 1 show and sank it, Leno is back on top over Dave now

so replacing Conan was right.
Now, if Lopez gets canceled at 12, it won't be Conan's fault.

This is a bit like pro ball players, they keep their positions by performing.

This is not T-Ball, everyone is not equal and guarateed equal playing time.

Seems like they gave Leno a much longer leash back in 93 - 95, when Letterman would always beat him in the ratings. I remember early articles about how Leno might get axed, but, of course, that never happened. I guess NBC didn't have the same patience with Conan.

Leno's 10:00pm show did not do any favors for Conan.

Caught a few minutes of George Lopez on Larry King last night. He sounded sincerly happy and excited. Said Conan might film on the Warner Bros. lot where Lopez films. May do some crossover.

Conan should have never been moved to 11:35 in the first place this early, and yes, Leno's show didn't do him any favors.

I'm glad The Cone Zone's been moved somewhere soon and I can't wait to start to be able to watch it.

well, Conan did it to himself, he took a no. 1 show and sank it, Leno is back on top over Dave now

so replacing Conan was right.

come on... that's a load of bull and you know it.

they didn't give conan a shot. of course the ratings were going to sink after leno left... just like the ratings sunk when Leno took over for Carson. if NBC had canned leno a few months in and brought back Carson, the ratings would have shot right back up.

NBC gave Leno time to form his own identity... and he (and they) found that safe, harmless humor could attract large numbers. leno of course used to be an absolutely filthy comedian.

this same opportunity was never given to conan o'brien. NBC panicked and pulled the plug. when Leno got the job, NBC panicked, but stayed the course.

Back
Top Bottom