The X Factor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched some of it. The guy who exposed himself (and of course they just let him keep going, even though they mentioned kids being in the audience), that just made the show look desperate. And Paula running to the bathroom to get sick.. it was all just ridiculous. Simon is the only reason I'd check it out again. Simon's manufactured feud with LA Reid was silly too.

glad somebody else started this thread, I still can't live down I started the Glee thread.

anyways, I watched and enjoyed it.
the auditions are always the best part. I am glad they are not going overboard with the bad auditons like AI seemed to be doing

the exposure guy should have been arrested. my gress is he had something? over his thing, but it was still discusting.

the Simenese? guy was interesting, I always wondered what would happen if a Prince like artist appeared on AI? of course he would have been booted.
They say Price was booed off the stage when he opened for the Rolling Stones. Don't know if that guy is any good or not, will have to see what else he has. Same goes for the 70 day sober rehab rapper. How deep is their talent. The PussyCat doll kid seems to have enough to carry her a bit further.
It seems L A Reid wants a boy, a la Bieber again.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I watched some of it. The guy who exposed himself (and of course they just let him keep going, even though they mentioned kids being in the audience), that just made the show look desperate. And Paula running to the bathroom to get sick.. it was all just ridiculous. Simon is the only reason I'd check it out again. Simon's manufactured feud with LA Reid was silly too.

This part was sooooooooooo stupid and one of the few I saw, so, not a great first impression.

Yeah that was ridiculous really.. the fact that they let him keep going. :huh:

The first girl (13) was ADORABLE and amazing. I cant wait to see her again.

glad somebody else started this thread, I still can't live down I started the Glee thread.

I've appointed myself the designated 'start all the threads for tv shows that everyone hates' person.

I guess
my gress was wrong

If I had an underaged kid there, I would be as mad as one could be.

I wonder if everyone that gets in the building has to sign some kind of blanket release.
a 'hold harmless' for the production company.

Is that GAFs gf as one of the judges for the first episode? :wink:

Heck yeah. Cheryl Cole. Probably my favorite person on the planet. Unfortunately, Simon Cowell fired her early on in the auditions. I'm still a bit angry about it but, oh well.

What did you think of her? I thought she lit up the screen.

So far, I'm liking it a lot better than Idol, other than the stupid Simon/LA fake conflict :rolleyes:

I thought the first girl was completely adorable but I thought they made a mistake with Siameze. He's a hotel entertainer, something Simon couldn't tolerate on AI and I think he will turn out to be a huge flop when he has to prove himself vocally, without the dancing and splits as a distraction.

And what the hell? I thought Cheryl Cole was adorable and had no problem understanding her at all. Fox obviously thinks America is too lazy to actually listen to her....well, they're probably right. :doh: And yes, that disgusting guy should have been arrested if he was truly exposing himself up there. I don't understand why they would let it go on. Very strange. And Paula was a wee bit over the top with her vomiting, lol.

So it was the back and not the front? I don't know.

UPDATE: The contestant amidst controversy, Geo Godley, tells TMZ, his outfit was nothing worse than what you see at the beach. He further insists that his performance was inspired by his Greek Island culture. "We always dance in g-strings." Godley told TMZ, "G-Strings are legal. The PTC have no complaint to make."

But Godley admits, he still got a little carried away, adding, "I apologize to anyone that was exposed to my behind ... I had no intention of showing it and it was an accident when I fell. I was caught up in the moment."

--

Looks like the Parents' Television Council is casting its vote for "American Idol."

The oft-angry conservative organization is filing a complaint with the FCC over contestant Geo Godley's pants-dropping audition on the premiere of Simon Cowell's new music competition series. During the broadcast, which took place just after 8PM in the Central Time Zone, the singer dropped trou, much to the disgust of the judges, with Paula Abdul walking away and LA Reid blasting the display.

The producers covered the nudity with the show's logo, but that wasn't enough for the organization.

"While a digitally imposed 'X' partially covered Mr. Godley's genitals, the scene lingered on his nudity while editing in the shocked responses of the judges and other members of the audience," the complaint says (via The Wrap).

"Families were led to believe 'The X Factor' would be family-friendly programming and instead were assaulted by graphic nudity. In fact, judge Paula Abdul walked out during the performance, apparently becoming physically ill by what happened," the statement continues. "The content in this case included prolonged, un-fleeting nudity used to shock the audience. The program did not air live, so every second was carefully edited by the Fox network and cannot be attributed to a 'mistake.'"

According to Reality Blurred, a fellow auditioner claims that Godley wasn't actually nude, but wearing a "very revealing thong."

Host Steve Jones told The Sun earlier in the summer that, nude or not, Simon loved the stunt.

"I spoke to Simon backstage after and asked him what he thought," he told the paper. "He said it was probably his favorite audition ever -- and I agreed. But he didn't get through -- they said No and sent him packing to get help!"

Wow...I like that the X Factor actually went out of their way to make him APPEAR to be nude even. Kind of support the indignation on this one, tbh.

I enjoy watching these types of shows on DVR soooo much more. Two hours flies by when you're just watching the actual singing.

I really liked the shy girl in the last audition episode who sang Mary J Blige. She was pretty fantastic.

He seemed to get a lot of the lyrics wrong when the song picked up, which bugged the hell out of me. Even the backup singers got it wrong. Some were singing "burning with desire" while others were singing "cold as a stone". Watch the youtube video, you can hear it. But I guess most people watching might not have noticed unless they were big U2 fans.

Why? Hes one of the better ones cmon now. I dont think hes gonna go all the way, but its hardly due to poor performance. I look forward to hearing him every week.

If any solo performer deserved to go home tonight it was Stephanie. Her days have been numbered.

LAs comments re Drew were bang on and they speak to what Ive felt all along, that her voice, while distinctive, isnt as big as it appears and shes rather one-dimensional.

Astro once again proves his incredible talent. He is gonna be huge no matter what the outcome.

Final four: Melanie, Astro, Marcus, Josh. Marcus exits first, followed, really sadly, by Astro.

Final two: Melanie and Josh

Winner: Tough call. I reaalllly like Josh, but it always comes back to the $5million dollar question. Does he have enough of his own voice to put on the radio? Melanie, well she just hands down has the best voice and shes radio ready. Her downfall might be if America doesnt want to elect another female r n b winner.

I was there when Melanie auditioned in front of the judges and I can tell you after the cameras were off and she and her family cleared the stage, the producers and judges had a big powwow in the middle. I'd go so far as to say that they "signed her" that very night. At least between each other.

Even after what this show did to my girl Cheryl, I've found myself sucked in to it, and I've watched the last couple of weeks.

I don't like how much petty in-fighting there is between the judges. The judges dynamic, what with being "mentors" to certain performers, is very strange. And frustrating. All the "I have to hand it to you, Simon, you did a great job!" crap. Bullshit, Simon did nothing. He wasn't the one that was just up there on stage singing. The credit needs to go to the performers more, with less focus on the apparently wonderful things the judges do for them.

Anyway, I really like Lakoda Rayne. And Drew. And Astro.

We need a good American girl group...there hasn't been one in a long time. And I'm not saying Lakoda Rayne is anything really special but, they're talented and good looking and there you go. I'm rooting for them. Although they probably won't last much longer.

Astro just put all the contestants that went before him to shame.

And these judges are just embarrassing with how they put down the contestants that aren't their "proteges."

Paula just sat there and said "Ugh, Astro, can't you just suck for once?"

Get the fuck outta here with that shit. Sure, you can't take what Paula says too seriously, but I just don't like this prevailing attitude of 'ONLY THE PEOPLE I MENTOR CAN BE GREAT!' It's ugly.

Anyway, Astro rules. And has been the best tonight by far. I didn't think Melanie or Josh's performances were nearly as good as the judges thought.

Holy shit, Lakoda Rayne doing "Your Love"!

This is my song. But this isn't really all that good. These girls are probably going home tomorrow. Damn. Still super cute, though.

Drew is singing "With Or Without You."

Girl's got a really lovely voice. But is going to get the same complaint from LA Reid about being "the same."

And he's right. It's similar. But she's still better than most everybody else out here.

EDIT: Kind of a boring version.

I'm watching for the first time in a long time, just because.

Leroy, I love that you're from Seattle and you're all old and junk, but that was seriously dull as dry toast.

I'll blame Nicole for that dull and un-rock-and-roll song choice, because she's seriously crappy and deserves my scorn.

Edit: Stacey Francis was ridiculous, and flat on a good chunk of those big notes. Yeesh. She looks like she's about to cut a bitch. Oh, and she just referenced her fans with whatever cutesy name they (she?) have named themselves. Franatics. Double yeesh.

On a positive note, Rachel is freaking adorable. And Melanie was great. She even almost made me like Everybody Hurts again. :wink:

Watching this week. Um since when is Puff Daddy rock? Really, LA? Really?

Well, it's basically the Police song. And the Police are a rock band. So, I can see the connection. And, when you've got an act who is a straight-up rapper, it's hard to make "rock night" work.

What do you guys think about what I was saying? About the whole judges dynamic, where they seem quick to point out flaws in the performers that they aren't mentoring, and seem extra spiteful and jealous and petty all the time, but then give each other (and themselves) unwarranted props when the credit really should go to the performer?

The whole judges being mentors twist really gets on my nerves. It adds a new wrinkle that sets it apart from Idol, but it also leads to a lot of childish ugliness.

Yeah, I have to say, the judges here are far more annoying than on Idol, mostly for the reasons you mentioned. It's so pointless.

I think Drew has a very good voice somewhere in there, but I just want to hear her sing without that vocal hiccup she has in every other freaking word!

Yeah, great, play with the break in your range, but Jesus Christ, she's not so much singing as showcasing a series of vocal quirks. It was driving me insane. I've only heard her sing twice (first time was her Flashdance dirge). If that's what LA meant by doing the same thing over and over again, he's not wrong.

It sounds like she's yodeling in super slow motion.

Back
Top Bottom