"The Wrestler" Thread-Mickey Rourke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny you mention Stallone,
He gave a big speech why Mickey has to win
the jest of his reasoning, Mickey lived this, this is Mickey's life!!

Where is the streach for Mickey's work or even Jenkin's work?

both good actors
but when you hear them interviewed, they sound just like their characters. :shrug:

Penn and Langella each took their craft to a new and greater place.

Nicole Kidmans best work was in The Hours,
William Heard, Kiss of the Spider Woman

The French actress, from last year Mairion, again great and demanding work.

Do some people just want actors to win because they related to the story or character? They liked the character or movie more?

Penn and Langella did tremendous jobs in their respective films, don't get me wrong. Biopics are largely hit-or-miss, and while they may not be my favorite genre, these performances are by-and-large some of the best I've seen from it, you know? You forget you're watching these guys perform after a while, which is exactly what should happen in the first place... not look like they're trying too hard (ie: Jamie Foxx in Ray).

Rourke and Jenkins, on the other hand, created these characters from scratch, and to me, that just uses a different set of skills in the actor's toolbox. While Rourke's story gets a ton of press because it's "news-worthy" or his lost career is a huge topic of conversation, that doesn't take away from how poignant and engrossing his actual performance is. Again, I'm no film scholar, but from what I've seen, I'd put it in the top-tier of modern acting performances.

I've seen Jenkins do character work here and there. Hell, he was fantastic in both Step Brothers and Burn After Reading this year, too, but to see him carry that smaller film was pretty nifty. He has an everyman quality that other big-name actors around his age couldn't pull off. It's a matter of right place/right time, which is also a mark of a great performance for me.

So to answer your question, I think you're drawn more to actors you like previously, but certain performances can turn you onto liking new ones, you know? I wasn't the biggest fan of Colin Farrell, but his In Bruges perf is swaying me in that direction. Same with Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married. Where the fuck did that come from?

It's hard to say "that guy worked harder/deserved it more" and make acting into something more competitive than it really is. It boils down to personal preference, and in this case, even when I like every performance in the Actor category, I'm siding with The Ram.

Rourke and Jenkins, on the other hand, created these characters from scratch, and to me, that just uses a different set of skills in the actor's toolbox. While Rourke's story gets a ton of press because it's "news-worthy" or his lost career is a huge topic of conversation, that doesn't take away from how poignant and engrossing his actual performance is. Again, I'm no film scholar, but from what I've seen, I'd put it in the top-tier of modern acting performances.

Created from scratch?
not according to Stallone.

“I can totally believe it. It was just a matter of time...He's a tough ass guy. He's old school...Eventually someone was going to do a story that captures his heart,
his plight and his biography."

Rourke has recently credited Stallone for helping him resurrect his career when he was offered a role in Stallone’s Get Carter and the two will reunite on screen in The Expendables.

Sending a message to his co-star, Stallone says, “Mickey, if anybody deserves an Oscar, it’s you. No question about it. You lived it. You earned it. You deserve it. You're an incredibly talented man. It’s about time everyone says, 'You know what.
Give it to the winner.'"

Created from scratch?
not according to Stallone.

I meant that it's based on an original script, to which another actor was already attached (Nic Cage, no less). It's a seemingly "perfect" fit for actor and role, and that gives it some added weight, but it wasn't like writer Robert Siegel went "I'm writing this specifically for Mickey Rourke."

And why do you care so much about what Stallone has to say?

I wish the Oscar would go to Rourke and then I could say they have the chance to show some recognition to truly great work (I love Danny Boyle as well so this year should be a plus), but the fact that they once again ignored Aronofsky show's how shallow they are, and the fact that Penn will probably win shows once again how they award based on politics of some way rather than necessarily on merit, not that I think you can truly choose in the case of art.

OK..so I FINALLY saw this today....and wow...what a moving performance by Mickey...I believed every second of it....I have a strained non-relationship with my Father...and basically if he showed up at my door, I would probably shut it in his face....this had me feeling for Randy and his side of the story...it was heart-wrenching.....and the end:ohmy: My husband and I decided to make up our own ending...and lets just say, it was happier:wink:

I watched the Independent Spirit Awards

Mickey was on pretty good behavior

if he get's lucky and pulls off the Oscar tonight, I won't be upset.

I just hope this success does not lead to a second self destruction

The end of Sean Penn's speech was excellent....

...a courageous artist, who despite a sensitivity, who sometimes has brought an enormous challenge, Mickey Rourke rises again, and he's my brother.

Well, our hero Mickey Rourke, didn't win for the The Wrestler and Marisa didn't win Best Supporting Actress, but their nominations still got more people to go and check out The Wrestler, which works for me.

Sean Penn definitely deserved to win Best Actor. He's an amazing actor and with this victory, he is now in elite company. I was also happy to see Sean single out Mickey and salute him. I'd love to see them in a movie together. Plus, it was also very cool to see Sean sitting next to his wife, Robin. She has been with him through thick and thin. Like Sean alluded to, he doesn't make it easy for people to like him. Finally, I'm glad Surfer Dude Spicolli was mentioned. Fast Times at Ridgemont High has banged out 3 Best Actor winners. Penn, Nic Cage and Forrest Whitaker. Plus, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Eric Stoltz are no slouches either. Who da thunk?

Anyway, thanks to his performance in The Wrestler, I believe that Hollywood is gonna take a chance on Mickey Rourke again.

Phoebe Cates.....goddess:drool:

With the amount of adulation that Mickey has been getting, surely he will get many people that will want to work with him now. They'd be fools not to. He will do St Vincent with Walter Hill, which could be very promising. I'm hoping he gets to do his Wild Horses film he's wanted to do for the past 18 years. It would be a dramatic, heartfelt movie that could see him at his finest.

0224_mickey_rourke_inf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom