"The Wrestler" Thread-Mickey Rourke - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:26 PM
The movie made me sad because he never figured things out.

<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
The movie made me sad because he never figured things out.

<>
Sure, he figured things out. He figured if he's going to die, he's going to die doing the only thing he knows best: wrestling.


It was sad that he wasn't able to patch things up with his daughter, though.
__________________

__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:26 PM
The Ram did the same thing to his daughter
as Rourke did to his fans in the 80s

it was depicted in this film
the scene where he took that chunky blond in the bathroom and bent her over


let's hope he does not do it to us again.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Sure, he figured things out. He figured if he's going to die, he's going to die doing the only thing he knows best: wrestling.


It was sad that he wasn't able to patch things up with his daughter, though.

Nooooo...

That wasn't the message I took from it.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #65
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:26 PM
What message did you take from it then?
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Nooooo...

That wasn't the message I took from it.

<>

The guy that was Robin became Randy The Ram. Eventually, he lived his gimmick. He didn't like it when they called him "Robin" at the deli. He would always say "call me Randy". Usually, a pro wrestler goes by his real name in the non-wrestling world. But, "Robin" wanted to be called Randy The Ram. He wasn't good at relationships or having a "real job". He only knew wrestling. Wrestling was his life and even if he really shouldn't have been medically cleared to wrestle, he was gonna do it until he died. Because he figured if he was going to die, it might as well be in a wrestling ring doing what he does best, perform for the fans. That's my take. What was your perspective?
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
The guy that was Robin became Randy The Ram. Eventually, he lived his gimmick. He didn't like it when they called him "Robin" at the deli. He would always say "call me Randy". Usually, a pro wrestler goes by his real name in the non-wrestling world. But, "Robin" wanted to be called Randy The Ram. He wasn't good at relationships or having a "real job". He only knew wrestling. Wrestling was his life and even if he really shouldn't have been medically cleared to wrestle, he was gonna do it until he died. Because he figured if he was going to die, it might as well be in a wrestling ring doing what he does best, perform for the fans. That's my take. What was your perspective?

That he felt rejected by his daughter and he decided to kill himself in the ring.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
That he felt rejected by his daughter and he decided to kill himself in the ring.

<>
Right, he felt resigned to his fate.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:26 PM
But some of us feel that you have the power to change your fate, Randy lost his will to change his fate-which is sad.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 12:26 AM
I couldn't even look at the wrestling scenes, they were so brutal. I thought all that stuff was fake, maybe that's just the professional. But wasn't he supposed to be a former pro wrestler? Also the way they talked about what they were going to do beforehand, that gave the impression that it was fake in some ways.

I thought the acting made the movie, and that the best parts of it were the scenes with his daughter. Should have had more of that (and backstory about his daughter) and less of the wrestling.

I haven't seen Milk but I would think it has to be a race between Mickey and Sean Penn for the Oscar. Mickey blows Pitt out of the water imo. Don't know about Jenkins or Langella, haven't seen those movies either.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #71
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I couldn't even look at the wrestling scenes, they were so brutal. I thought all that stuff was fake, maybe that's just the professional. But wasn't he supposed to be a former pro wrestler? Also the way they talked about what they were going to do beforehand, that gave the impression that it was fake in some ways.

I thought the acting made the movie, and that the best parts of it were the scenes with his daughter. Should have had more of that (and backstory about his daughter) and less of the wrestling.

I haven't seen Milk but I would think it has to be a race between Mickey and Sean Penn for the Oscar. Mickey blows Pitt out of the water imo. Don't know about Jenkins or Langella, haven't seen those movies either.
He definitely was a pro-wrestler, as the beginning credits allude to... and his rematch with The Ayatollah at the end.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I haven't seen Milk but I would think it has to be a race between Mickey and Sean Penn for the Oscar. Mickey blows Pitt out of the water imo. Don't know about Jenkins or Langella, haven't seen those movies either.

Sean Penn and Langella are both more deserving of the win than Mickey.

But the votes will probably end this way:

1. Penn
2. Rourke
3. Langella


They never release the results,
but that is my guess.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #73
Refugee
 
Slipstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 10:26 PM
The BAFTAS just started about half an hour ago so we won't get to Best Actor for awhile. Fingers crossed for Mickey!

Mickey did further confirm on the red carpet that he's doing Expendables(with Stallone), the Walter Hill film(St Vincent), and Wild Horses - the film he's been wanting to do for 18 years. It's about two brothers that haven't seen each other for years and go on one last motorcycle trip with each other. He said he might be doing Iron Man so that's still up in the air.
__________________
Slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #74
Refugee
 
Slipstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Yesssssssssss!!! Best Actor!

His speech will go down as one the best in awards history. Hilarious.....everyone was laughing. I can't remember much but there was 'f' words and he said that Marisa was brave for taking her clothes off all the time and he liked looking at her....LOL. She was laughing too. Sharon Stone was loving it.

Here is some of it -

'Thank you to Darren Aronofsky for giving me another chance after I f***ed up my career for the past 15 years.'

'And thank you to my agent for telling me exactly what to eat, what to wear and what to f***.'

To which, host Jonathan Ross answered: 'A great speech from Mickey Rourke - who is now suspended for three months.' The comment had been in reference to Ross' own suspension at the BBC.

Next up on stage to present the Best Film award, Mick Jagger continued the joke: 'You thought it was going to be Jonathan doing all the f***ing - and it was Mickey.'
__________________
Slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 12:26 AM
I wanted to watch the BAFTAS on BBC but I had to see some of the Grammys and my Sunday night shows

__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mickey rourke, the wrestler

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com