The Walking Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not speaking for LuckyNumbe7 but for me I was disappointed because looking at a 90min recording on my DVR I was really excited to see them deal properly with whatever happened to Glenn and Rick. Getting a bottle episode that didn't really need any extra time annoyed me too. In fact realizing we weren't getting any resolution, I watched a couple of other shows first and only caught up today. I didn't mind the episode at all, I was just expecting something else.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You got 24 minutes of additional episode and only had to watch 6 minutes of additional advertising. The show has had a fractured chronology from one episode to the next since the back half of season 4, to allow for better individual episodes. Like any other network, AMC are going to promote their new shows during the ad breaks of their current hits.

Why is any of this so offensive? If you had known that the Glenn issue would go unresolved this week would you have not tuned in? Could you not watch it at a later time to skip the ads? I'm honestly baffled by your posts.

Baffled by my posts? Because I don't see things the way you do? It's an opinion. I'm allowed to have it.

You seem to think I'm annoyed that I had to watch ads.

I'm annoyed that the episode was made longer, intentionally to excite viewership about the previous week's episode, only to have been made longer just to capitalize on a larger TV audience.

Yes, it was done on purpose, to make you believe you'd get answers. Yes, it was because they had big prime time ads they wanted to show you.

You seem to think I'm annoyed that I had to watch ads.

Yes, because:
All I did was voice my frustration with being teased into watching ads. That's it.

Now I'm flummoxed by your posts. And of course you're entitled to your opinion, it's just longer runtimes = longer ads. That's how TV works. Do you have TiVo or similar? Start watching ~20 minutes into the recording and fast forward the ads, that'll save you being teased by promos and still finish at the same time as everyone else.

But you know what, I wouldn't put it past AMC to get the producers to make the episode following Glenn's 'death' extra long and follow a different storyline. They're awful meddlers and diminished the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men by splitting them in half. Until that's proven to have happened though, it just seems par for the course for TWD. Took half a season to reveal Sophia's fate in S2. Beth was abducted in S4b and not seen again until S5a. Minor characters, but still. So it wasn't so much surprising as it was disappointing that Glenn's fate wasn't answered this week.

Yes, because:

Now I'm flummoxed by your posts. And of course you're entitled to your opinion, it's just longer runtimes = longer ads. That's how TV works. Do you have TiVo or similar? Start watching ~20 minutes into the recording and fast forward the ads, that'll save you being teased by promos and still finish at the same time as everyone else.

But you know what, I wouldn't put it past AMC to get the producers to make the episode following Glenn's 'death' extra long and follow a different storyline. They're awful meddlers and diminished the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men by splitting them in half. Until that's proven to have happened though, it just seems par for the course for TWD. Took half a season to reveal Sophia's fate in S2. Beth was abducted in S4b and not seen again until S5a. Minor characters, but still. So it wasn't so much surprising as it was disappointing that Glenn's fate wasn't answered this week.

That meant to say because I "only" had to watch ads.

I can't keep reiterating my point over and over again though. It was the type of ads and the intent of showing things the way they were shown. It wasn't just extra ads.

It isn't about the content of the show, and it's not a lot the length of the ad.

It's about capitalizing on viewer interest to purposefully show them something else, by leaving bait. They purposefully had an episode be extra long and advertised it as such, knowing that it followed up the episode that would lead into higher viewership. And with more ad space, AMC was able to put those two extra lengthy new series ads in there. If it were a normal length episode, those ads wouldn't have fit in because they were individually TOO long. Effectively, the ONLY reason that episode was as long as it was, was to put two series pitches in between it. But they led you to believe it was for a different reason.

Effectively, the ONLY reason that episode was as long as it was, was to put two series pitches in between it. But they led you to believe it was for a different reason.

Again, with this shows track record of letting cliffhangers linger for episodes on end, did you expect an immediate resolution to Glenn? Was this promised explicitly by anyone? Or are you just annoyed that your expectations were not met?

Don't cry foul when it's the template of the show. (Edit - this whole show is an exercise in bait and switch, if they can stretch out the meager plot points the less likely you are to notice the repetition. AMC are a creative wasteland of a network who got lucky on 2 shows, struck gold with a mediocre runaway hit, and still managed to keep their hooks in me with Better Call Saul.)

Regarding the theory that this was all a ruse between producers and network to bombard you with unwanted promos for new shows, it's possible. But I haven't heard anyone in the know speak out on this, so right now it's just cynical thinking. You can fold your arms and roll your eyes in an exasperated manner because you're the only one in a sea of fools who really gets it, but you just come over as a thin skinned blowhard.

FWIW I quit the show years back and just spend 5 minutes on AV Club checking in. Good to have context to know why people are freaking out over nothing.

Last edited:
I know I'm one to argue quite a bit, but do you at all consider your attitude? I'm not crossing my arms and huffing and puffing. You keep responding to me and I keep explaining my point. And I keep responding because you keep missing my point. I don't like to be misquoted or misrepresented. Is that a big deal?

If this argument keeps going I might turn into a zombie.

I can't figure this thread out. The episode was alright, it was about what you expect with this show and its predilection for busting up the narrative with these little asides. Or, as I like to call it, 'playing for time'.

Didn't notice the ads.

The Walking Dead does this all the time, they flip back and forth between characters and stories. This isn't anything new. Of course they probably wont address the Glenn thing for a while because they want you to tune in. That's just how it works. I fully knew by the preview last week that the episode was going to be all about Morgan this week and that's totally fine with me. It's a nice change from having anxiety and on the edge of my seat the whole time. :wink:

What I found funny was people asking the Talking Dead host what happened to Glenn. Like, even if he knew, he sure as Hell wasn't going to say anything. He's probably contractually bound from releasing spoilers anyway. But, of course, people are dumbasses.

Thinking about the Glenn thing, assuming he did die, the Walkers would have eaten him to the point where he would be unrecognized by anyone. Wonder how they're going to build that into the story. Will they spend 3 episodes searching for someone that's already dead? Surprised they killed him off this way. Normally the show plays on the emotions of those that love the characters that die. This is a different angle for sure.

I mean if you watch the seen over again, it's very obvious that it is Glenn being eaten. If they try and make it about having another lifeless body on top of him... it's bull.

There's only two answers I'll take:

-He's dead as dead can be
Or
-He didn't actually fall and these are delusions

He's under the dumpster.

That is one theory I just read about. Also, another good point was that there's no way Glenn would still be conscious and able to scream as his guts are literally being ripped out. So they weren't his.

Glenn was spotted filming with a new character so I'm sticking with he's not dead lol.

Unless right as he falls someone shows up to help, I'm not buying he escapes this on his own.

I also just simply don't think he's dead. They wouldn't do it like this.

Conflicting. I'm just mostly waiting on how they'll say he made it. They better do it good.

If Rick could make it out of that horde in Atlanta by crawling into a tank, Glenn can make it out of this horde by crawling into a dumpster

One possibility for Glenn's return:

LvEvd1P.gif

People here have made a number of excellent points about Glenn's fate. When they finally return to that storyline, it will be awesome to see. I've got a feeling that Glenn squirms away and that wife of his saves the day.

Small continuity note about this show: everything I ever read in connection to it seems to point to a consensus among viewers that we're about two years post-zombie-apocalypse.

Korrrl's appearance would beg to differ. I mean if I'm supposed to take that kid at face value, it's more like four years, and that only if he was once a very immature 11 year old.

That would put baby Judith in Maggie-from-The-Simpsons territory. She has a rare disease called Permanent Baby Syndrome.

I'm sticking with my personal timeline that it's been several years at least. Judith doesn't look like becoming anything more than furniture anytime soon, so yeah.

Back
Top Bottom