The Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We didn't know it premiered tonight until we were on our way to the movies and heard an add on TV. I'm going to try and remember to watch, I'm very interested in the conceit of this one.

I like the concept and it's exciting to see which coaches are going to turn around for which artists. So far there's been some pretty good singers.

I like the concept and it's exciting to see which coaches are going to turn around for which artists. So far there's been some pretty good singers.

me too! I stumbled on it last nite and didn't realize it was the premiere. Thought it had been on for like a week.

I think it's a great concept and some great talent so far. I will watch this one for sure.. Now I have something to watch on Tuesday nite.:up:

I usually don't go in for these vocal competitions- American Idol or any others- but I thought this was an interesting concept. Plus, this was probably the most heavily promoted show I can think of in recent memory, so I figured I'd check it out. I thought it was pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think the Javier guy, the 16-year-old girl and the American Boy singer were probably the best.

Ehhhhh.

I'm curious about the concept of teams and coaches, but all the backstories and backstage talky talk and stage is reminding me too much of America's Got Talent or something. I'm just fast-forwarding through most of it.

Also? Frenchie completely unimpressed me. It didn't help that she picked a song that I hate so much, but I was really surprised to hear her sing. I remembered her being a lot better when she was on Idol.

This is an intriguing concept. I love Blake. It doesn't hurt that he reminds me of Terry from True Blood.

I agree on the stupid backstories Cori. They were not necessary. The worst one was the pretty girl whining about being pretty. Seriously?

So far my favorite has been the girl who was singing Come as You Are. Her voice was haunting.

I'm not watching this show because NBC advertises it wayyy too much; I'm already annoyed with it and I haven't even seen it.

The only singer I really liked was the one (Xenia?) who sang that Script song. She had a cool quality to her voice that I dug.

This is going to sound really weird (and possibly mean), but considering how much they played up the ".... and they have no idea what they look like! They judge the voice only!"

Most of the singers who we've seen (chosen or not) have been pretty conventional looking. I was expecting more "middle aged mom" or "ha ha, look at that dork, he can't be a pop sing ...... ooooooooooh, wow!" types.

Otherwise, what's the point now that they've had their blind auditions? It's just another singing show where a bunch of conventional-looking pop singers compete.

I don't understand why this was at any point NOT a blind show. I thought thatw as the point?

Yeah, I guess now they work with their teams and winnow them down somehow (apparently this week it's singing face-offs or whatever, both singing the song on stage at the same time), and then at some point the viewers vote.

YAWN.

Well there are 32 contestants right now I believe, and each night four pairs of them (one for each judge) face off on a duet. The winner moves on, the loser's gone. Which is kind of intense. Once they've narrowed it down to 16 contestants, we move to live shows, and yes, voting.

Some of them are middle aged, not that cute, etc. That older bald lady will be on next week it looks like lol.

The battles now are interesting. I loved the first one with Frenchie and the other girl doing Single Ladies.

I found the group doing "Leather and Lace" hilariously unfair.

For one thing, the woman sounded JUST like Stevie and two, I don't even think Don Henley sings that song well. It was kind of obvious who was gonna win.

Clearly I'm going to have to go back and watch the first two episodes so I can understand why on earth a duo was allowed to compete.

Thanks to this episode, I'm actually excited about this show for real. I have a dog in this fight, and his name is Javier.

Haha yes Javier is awesome.

The battles are kind of weird, it just seems messed up to put two really good singers against each other and have to eliminate one of them. Also cant believe the old bald lady made it through.

She nailed Daltry on that song, she deserved to go through, but I think they lost out on the guy there.

It certainly adds an air of unease to the show, never knowing if you're going to accidentally have to part with one of the best contestants on the show (like what happened last week). I don't know if they'll keep this format or not, but it's an interesting new twist.

My friend got me to watch, I'd only heard the title and thought oh brother another pop contest, but finding out the concept and the people involved I got on board, now I'm caught up and I'm hooked. I was kind of bummed this week that they really trimmed down the amount of time they showed with the coaches and singers working on technical preparation verus the first battle round, as a songwriter I really enjoyed seeing that. The first week every person I wanted to win won, this week I was less involved with most, but really don't see what everyone else digs about Makia, he's loud and steals your attention, so what.

The battle format is just downright bizarre, but I'm enjoying it, it's been funny to see the different approaches the groups have been taking. The first were really out to get each other, whereas the best ones were the performances where they were really working together and in the end that works out for the best because you can both come away looking good and use that attention for your career even if you don't move on. Just look at Nicki & Vicki, they complimented each other and both gave it their all and you could tell CeeLo still wanted to work with Nicki.

This Castro chick and her chubby-faced opponent are both pitchy, dawg. Can't they both be eliminated? Bad matchup, Christina.

Oh Lord, what is this coffee house You Can't Hurry Love?

EDIT: Oh, good, they sped it up later. It's still a terrible version: are there instruments besides piano there? Also, Serabee's performance was hideous. The singers so far have been leagues ahead of tonight's. Javier could snore any of these people off the stage.

He doesn't even KNOW the song. He sang "I'm Yours" for crying out loud. He has the look of the Hipster, but he doesn't follow through on the actions :tsk:

Pitchy maybe, but the first duo both have quite a set of pipes that can be improved, neither has been trained for long. They totally didn't mention that Castro was the girl from Jersey Girl in the auditions.

Again, the duos that really compliment each and work together come out looking the best, the loser might not move on but they get positive exposure. I thought it was gonna be a train wreck at first, but the two that did Creep worked so well together they should form a band :lol:. I dug the girl's voice whereas Devon's audition was terrible so I was kind of mad he was even there, but he did own the choruses. I'm really happy for Dia as well, she's adorable and subtle instead of overconfident.

Back
Top Bottom