The Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm happy for Javier because he's been kicking around longer and he's got talent for sure, but Dia proved once again with her duet tonight that she's the most unique and creative of the contestants, and based on all the sales on iTunes, she's likely to be more successful than him. I also look forward to watching Vicci's career, she fucking rocks, and owned last night with her Love is a Battlefield performance.

I don't understand why Dia was successful at all, myself, she had a pretty bland voice, IMO, and it wasn't the strongest either. But that's I.M.O.

Bland? She's distinctive, and an artist. Her style is truly unique, and didn't impersonate any other artist for her performances the way every other competitor did. She completely reworked the songs she chose to do instead of being designed by her coach. She took his advice on performing and winning the audience but he let her drive the creative decisions. let's just be happy that someone who was actually doing something new on a talent competition has a chance for (and has already found some) success. I'm really interested where her music will go from here, thus far these qualities have shown up on the Voice and on the covers she's posted to YouTube, but her band was very high school girl power rocker, fun but nothing we haven't seen before. I'm wondering if that was more driven by her sister, or merely what she was into at the time. That said, I haven't heard their most recent album they released since being dropped by Warners.

Vicci is the one who surprised me the most though, her previous work is very folksy/singer-songwriter style and she blew the crowd away with her rocker performances. I'm hoping she breaks through as well.

Javier is the kind of artist who is just set up to win popularity contests, a big range, a bright style and flourishy with runs all over. Using those aspects with restraint and hitting them at all the right points is not his strength yet. We also have to see where his songwriting will go from here as his recording career languished after his debut.

I'm hoping all of them don't record material forced upon them by producers the way most talent competitors do, especially when all of them (with the exception of Beverly who I haven't heard any original material from) have stronger material than the bland 'original' stuff they made them sing this week.

I just know I found myself pretty bored whenever she performed in the last few episodes :shrug:. I was shocked that she beat Vicci, who really came out in the last few episodes, especially in the finally.

I honestly wanted to go see the tour they're going to do, but they're going to be here on a weekday, and now that I've been moved to 3rd shift at work, there's no way :(

Again, I love that someone who has their own vision for their performances broke through, rather than a clone of a clone of a clone the way most talent competition contestants are. Again, loved what Beverly and especially Vicci were doing, but the way they performed wasn't distinctive when compared to those they were covering. With the exception of Vicci's rendition of Jolene, that was one of my favorite moments from the entire season.

I was kind of surprised after there was so much talk about the tour in the media that it's only a handful of dates. Fortunately one's in Boston, I'd like to go, hoping to talk some friends into going.

I guess it was going to be a bigger longer tour, but they couldn't work out compensation with the judges so it ended up just being a short show with the top 8.

That's hot. She's hot.

But no, I don't think she can sing particularly well compared to her opponents. That doesn't mean she can't write songs, and it certainly doesn't mean that she doesn't have a career ahead of her, but it does mean she should not have won what I initially assumed was going to be a blind vocal competition. Didn't turn out that way, but it's still called the "Voice" and she doesn't really have much of one.

Whatever you say, people with different kinds of voices tend to be divisive, but again based on her sales there are plenty of people that fall into the 'love it' category.

I usually avoid these singing competition shows, because I hate all the bad/awkward auditions, so I'm liking the fact that they're not focusing on that. I've only liked one of the singers so far, but I think I'll watch for a week or two and see how it goes, since I didn't watch last season.

Aw that was heartbreaking. I missed this part of the show last time, so I hadn't seen what happened when they don't turn around :(.

I love this show, for the format, the infighting & entertainment of the coaches, the fact that it uses real artists instead of wannabes as contestants and how they're mentored by the celebrity panel not "judged" for humor and fodder. That and the knockout rounds of pitting contestants in "battle" duets is just bizarre and distinctive.

I was shocked Sunday to see Tony Lucca show up, he's been around for years and is a great talent, maybe it's time he got more mainstream attention but I hope it won't change him. Also, I had no idea he was also a member of that ridiculously stacked 90's Mickey Mouse Club, and that awkwardness the show set up with crazy-as-hell Christina was weird, but he didn't seem phased at all.

Adam's team so far has my two favorite performers with him and Kim, but the rocker army chick is pretty awesome as well.

Was this on again last night? Shit. We're done for the week, though, right?

And I both like and dislike the "real artists" concept. Sometimes you see it where it goes beyond a certain point of being ok, like, to me, Tony Lucca is NOT ok.

Simply because of his experience? He certainly isn't a known-quantity, outside of a small following.

Back
Top Bottom