The 'Star Trek' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pic^

RE: Trek 2, I am confident in the screenwriters, Orci, Kurtzman and especially Lindelof but fuck...I just hope someone else tackles the direction.

Like Jack Bender. That would be perfect. It's time to let him shine in his own feature. JJ Abrams can't get out of his own way.

Meh, J.J.'s talents are perfectly suited for Star Trek on the big screen. The guy somehow manages to make you actually care about the rag dolls being tossed around in a giant action setpiece. He has a talent for keeping you emotionally invested in the characters when shit starts exploding.

Make all the lens flare jokes you want about the reboot, but it was the first time space travel has felt dangerous and concrete in a blockbuster in quite a while.

Meh, mini Jar Jar and Budweiser engineering plant are minor gripes for me.

The optimistic/light tone of the movie worked really well in the spirit of the original series, and the general audience I saw the movie with was right in the palm of the writing and direction. Pacing / comedy beats were nicely interspersed but never added up to adding too wacky a tone to things.

I really can't say too many bad things about ST. It was really that well put together.

At least mini-Jar Jar didn't talk! Scotty just yelled at him to get down from things. I loved those moments both earnestly and for imagining the Kurtzman/Orci thought process.

J.J's Trek has only grown in my estimation the last couple years. I think it's nearly flawless at this point for everything it is and tried to be. And yeah, I feel it's remarkably faithful to the original series.

He comes back later on the season, but only for a two-episode arc.

That's great. Without wanting to get too off-topic beyond one more post in the wrong thread, just wanted to say the whole pre-credit sequence of the pilot was pretty breath-taking. Now only 10 minutes into it though, so who knows how the rest of it will go... but yeah.

That's great. Without wanting to get too off-topic beyond one more post in the wrong thread, just wanted to say the whole pre-credit sequence of the pilot was pretty breath-taking. Now only 10 minutes into it though, so who knows how the rest of it will go... but yeah.

Hate to be a downer, but that may be one of the series' finest moments. I can continue a conversation about it in the TV thread with you.

All of Trek's up on Watch Instantly. Oh wait, did I say all of it? I meant everything except fucking Deep Space Nine. That's okay though, all 7 seasons of Voyager are ready to watch. Remember those compelling characters? Tom Paris, Captain Janeway, Harry Kim, Chakotay... *snore*

All of Trek's up on Watch Instantly. Oh wait, did I say all of it? I meant everything except fucking Deep Space Nine. That's okay though, all 7 seasons of Voyager are ready to watch. Remember those compelling characters? Tom Paris, Captain Janeway, Harry Kim, Chakotay... *snore*

I was reading a blurb from the guy who got the task of playing Harry Kim (poor fuck) and this really explains a lot:

When casting ended on Voyager, all the actors were invited by executive producer Rick Berman to attend a congratulatory luncheon. It was during this lunch that Berman informed us that he expected all actors portraying human roles to follow his decree. He told us that we were to underplay our human characters. He wanted our line delivery to be as military — and subsequently devoid of emotion — as possible, since this, in his opinion, was the only way to make the aliens look real.

The more I learn about Berman and Braga, the more inevitable the series' crash and burn seems in retrospect.

Somehow I had never seen Balance of Terror. Holy smokes the technicolor! Those rich folks with their color tvs sure were getting their money's worth.

Balance of Terror and The Defector: a quality Netflix twofer. Friggin' Romulans.

edit ALSO! neither one was edited for time. that's a surprisingly big deal with TV movies. I was watching IJ and the Temple of Doom this weekend and kept feeling unsettled by how quickly everything was moving.

I was watching IJ and the Temple of Doom this weekend and kept feeling unsettled by how quickly everything was moving.
Somehow editing for time seems like it could only be a big plus with Temple of Doom :|

In-----deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

since the recent movie made its way onto the netflix stream, i am finally getting around to watching it.

Badda boom:

TNG HD Trailer - YouTube

You've heard the rumors, and now StarTrek.com can officially confirm it: Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.

“Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of Star Trek: The Next Generation," Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Entertainment, said in a statement. “Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases.”

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.

As for that sampler, it will be called Star Trek: The Next Generation -- The Next Level. CBS Home Entertainment has set a January 31, 2012, release date for the single disc, which will include the feature-length version of the series pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint," as well the fan-favorite episodes "Sins of the Father" and "The Inner Light," the former from season three and the latter from season five. The Next Level will sell for the suggested retail price of $21.99.

Back
Top Bottom