The 'Star Trek' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, now that I watched that preview, and solely based on the preview
I say this movie will be big.
It has a carry over with the much of the same from the last popular movie. People like getting what the expect and want. The preview seems to have some of the popular elements from The Dark Knight movies incorporated.

STIDPoster4-12-13.jpg

Oh... oh hell yes!

:drool:

I'm still hoping Cumberbatch is playing a new/unique villain and not a Trek retread.
They gave us a new guy last time, although he was a little one-dimensional.
Cumby looks interesting, I just hope it's not...you-know-who.

Yes, I know what his name is SUPPOSED to be in this film...but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the Bad Robot guys.

His name is WAY too generic to have it be just.....that.

All my $$$ is on you know who, which I'm ambivalent on. I just want the fucking film to be good. I just cursed.

so I already spoilered the hell out of myself, and I have to say that nearly every decision Orci Kurtzman and Lindelof made writing Into Darkness seems to be calculated to annoy me.

Some of the fist fights were brutal. My friend jumped out her seat during the Spock/shoulder part!! :crazy:

Saw this last night. Pretty fucking awesome. I'm going to put a proper review in the review thread right now

Wow! Just got home from seeing this!

Loved the references to Harcourt Fenton Mudd, the Gorn, and the Tribbles.

Going to do the IMAX thing on Wednesday. I'd be ok with just going to see it as a regular movie, but that's what my friends want to do. It will probably give me a headache, as IMAX documentaries on museum field trips on school tended to do when I was a kid, but it should be cool.

Well, there are three to pay attention to- TOS (the original series), TNG, and DS9. Don't start with Voyager or Enterprise, don't finish with Voyager or Enterprise, and don't watch Voyager or Enterprise. We only have so much time on this planet!

In terms of efficiency, I'd suggest TOS as it's only 3 seasons long but you'll "get" the total Spock/Kirk/McCoy relationship in the movies and pop culture; and then watch the pilot of TNG and skip ahead to season 3. The first season of Star Trek shows usually isn't very good. On an episode to episode basis, I'm not sure there's anyone online doing an easily accessible concise "watch/skip" list of the series seasons, which is hurting me a little bit as I'm trying to watch DS9 in a vague order for the first time. I've been following along with the AVClub reviews, which are skimmable enough to figure out if an episode is dire or not.

There admittedly are a number of stinkers, I assume a consequence of trying to push out 24-25 episodes of a sci fi hour long drama a season. If you don't like one, don't be afraid to bail out and move on to the next. There are a number of gems in every season of TOS, TNG, and DS9 to keep you interested.

Well, there are three to pay attention to- TOS (the original series), TNG, and DS9. Don't start with Voyager or Enterprise, don't finish with Voyager or Enterprise, and don't watch Voyager or Enterprise. We only have so much time on this planet!

In terms of efficiency, I'd suggest TOS as it's only 3 seasons long but you'll "get" the total Spock/Kirk/McCoy relationship in the movies and pop culture; and then watch the pilot of TNG and skip ahead to season 3. The first season of Star Trek shows usually isn't very good. On an episode to episode basis, I'm not sure there's anyone online doing an easily accessible concise "watch/skip" list of the series seasons, which is hurting me a little bit as I'm trying to watch DS9 in a vague order for the first time. I've been following along with the AVClub reviews, which are skimmable enough to figure out if an episode is dire or not.

There admittedly are a number of stinkers, I assume a consequence of trying to push out 24-25 episodes of a sci fi hour long drama a season. If you don't like one, don't be afraid to bail out and move on to the next. There are a number of gems in every season of TOS, TNG, and DS9 to keep you interested.

Agree with most of this post. We only differ over skipping episodes or seasons. What resonates with one group of people might mean nothing to you, and vice versa. I mean, I think seasons 1 and 2 of TNG are not nearly as good as 3 and beyond but would never advise anyone to simply skip them altogether.

But if you must skip something, do skip Enterprise. Makes Voyager look like The Wire, and Voyager was kinda weak.

So yeah, start with TOS (or not) and I hope you enjoy!!!!

Saw it last night with two hard core Trekkies (Trekkers?) and three civilians :wink: the Trekkies fucking hated it. I mean REALLY hated it, they felt it took a dump on one of the better movies in the series (I won't say which one as that would constitute a spoiler). The others loved it. I was kinda on the fence. I enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3, but less than the last Star Trek film :hmm:

Agree with most of this post. We only differ over skipping episodes or seasons. What resonates with one group of people might mean nothing to you, and vice versa. I mean, I think seasons 1 and 2 of TNG are not nearly as good as 3 and beyond but would never advise anyone to simply skip them altogether.

But if you must skip something, do skip Enterprise. Makes Voyager look like The Wire, and Voyager was kinda weak.

So yeah, start with TOS (or not) and I hope you enjoy!!!!

That's fair, there are episodes worth watching in the first two seasons of TNG, but there's also a very low floor with episodes like The Naked Now or Angel One that can scare people off outright. Maybe I should have just said skip those two. Skip The Naked Now and Angel One! The writer's room really began to get their act together by season 3 tho.

The first two seasons of TNG were definitely the weakest. Took them all of Season 1 to get it together, and then unfortunately I believe there was a writer's strike during Season 2 which hampered things further.

Still, for every Naked Now or Angel One, you got The Big Goodbye, Elementary Dear Data, and the Q episodes.

Saw it last night with two hard core Trekkies (Trekkers?) and three civilians :wink: the Trekkies fucking hated it. I mean REALLY hated it, they felt it took a dump on one of the better movies in the series (I won't say which one as that would constitute a spoiler). The others loved it. I was kinda on the fence. I enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3, but less than the last Star Trek film :hmm:

you should probably spoiler that bit anyway

Marc Forster on Quantum with Nolan on the brain:

Director Marc Forster on the new James Bond 007 film 'Quantum of Solace' - Time Out London - Time Out London

Ironically it might take Nolan to actually make Man of Steel distinct from The Dark Knight 0:37.

Christopher Nolan Talks 'Man of Steel' & 'Justice League' - YouTube

Bring on Man of Steel. Nolan will do a worthy succesor to Christoper Reeve's Superman.

That said..."radical" ending to TDKR ? If anything it's a cop-out ending.

Saw Star Trek in IMAX 3D. Loved it.

I'm not a hardcore trekkie, but I faithfully watched the original series and TNG, which I consider to be one of my favorite TV shows of all time, overall. I haven't touched the ones in the last decade (TV shows)

They played the trailer for Man of Steel before the movie started. Holy shit. Another must-see-at-IMAX for this guy!

My trekkie friends DESPISE the new movies. Some refuse to even see them. I personally think the 2 movies are great, and well casted. It doesn't take away from the characters just because it's not William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, because the new guys (forget names) do a very good job with the characters.

Back
Top Bottom