The Sound of Music Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoobaby14

War Child
Every few years I pull out this movie and every time I watch it I fall in love with it all over again. :heart:

I can't be the only one who loves this movie...

:lol: I do too! The audience sings along to help him out because they all love their country, too! They all hate the Nazis, too!

"...mumble mumble disapproving mumble Third Reich disapproving mumble"

I am a HUGE fan! I was in this musical as a teenager, and it was one of the highlights of my life. :nerd: I too get teary when he sings Edelweiss. The sad thing is that I don't even own it on DVD. I keep meaning to buy it, but it seems that every time I have the strong urge to watch it, it's on TV. :D

I'd obviously heard about it and knew a lot about it...we had to sing the "Do Re Mi" song in 1st grade music class. But I finally actually watched a bit of it on ABC Family like a year ago.

Then, and only then, did I realize that the "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" song that George Costanza references in an early episode is from this movie. That was one of those cool "wow" moments of realization.

I'd obviously heard about it and knew a lot about it...we had to sing the "Do Re Mi" song in 1st grade music class. But I finally actually watched a bit of it on ABC Family like a year ago.

Then, and only then, did I realize that the "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" song that George Costanza references in an early episode is from this movie. That was one of those cool "wow" moments of realization.

The movie has definitely made for popular culture allusions more entertaining than the movie itself.

I appreciate the naps I've had while trying to watch this all of the way through.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, goodbye
Adieu Adieu to you and you and you
doo do daloo doo doo doo doo
doo dolaloo doo doo

:D

Definitely some weak moments and songs, but it is a long movie.

I remember Mad Magazine doing a spoof on it in the 60's as only they could, and they had a great take off on the song My Favorite Things. Different lyrics sung to the tune :)

I always lose track of the movie after the part with the goats. I like that part, but, after that, I couldn't tell you what happens between there and the end of the movie.

I really hate the "lonely goatherd" song :reject:

Oh me too, that's horrible and so dorky. I especially hate the moving eyes on the mother in law and the goat mother in law. I like all the other songs, though.

It's a good movie though. But does anyone else find it gets boring after they get married? I just lose interest after that point.

The only boring part is the reprise of Sixteen Going on Seventeen as Leisl laments Rolf not loving her anymore and Maria consoling her. But the parts where they go to the singing contest and flee the Nazis, hiding in the Abbey, are very exciting. I especially love 'I have sinned, Rev. Mother', 'I too, Rev. Mother', and the old nuns hold up car parts they stole to stop the Nazis from following the family.

In case some of you didn't know, it is based on a true story, and the Von Trapps did flee the Nazis. They settled in Vermont and ran an Inn. Some of the kids are still alive, and some of the great grandkids still tour as a singing group.

more on the real family

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/winter/von-trapps.html

Back
Top Bottom