The Pacific - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
The Pacific

Did anyone else catch the first episode? What did you think? Surprised no other Band of Brothers fanatics had made a thread yet.

If you don't have HBO, don't illegally download movies / tv, and would like to see the first episode (and then become pissed off because they likely won't stream any future episodes), you can watch it here if you register for the site:

HBO: The Pacific: Homepage

Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 01:17 PM
I only watched the first 10 mins of it then I switched it when the first battle scene occurred. I could not handle it. I have a hard time watching war movies with graphic battle scenes. It makes me uneasy. When those scenes are over, I can go back to watching it. I will eventually watch the 1st episode all the way through. I liked what I saw though. especially the opening when they were interviewing war vets.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Did anyone else catch the first episode? What did you think? Surprised no other Band of Brothers fanatics had made a thread yet.
The question is, what did you think?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
The question is, what did you think?
As some assumed beforehand, they seem to be trying to show atrocities on both sides, and the racist propaganda that was shoved down peoples' throats at the time. It seems to maintain a good balance though, but I assume it's going to be upsetting and off putting for the types of Americans' who choose to pretend their country did no wrong historically.

Once they got to Guadalcanal, it became quite tense, and they did a good job showing the confusion the Allies had when they arrived essentially without resistance. The first battle scene was properly intense and confusing, and I thought they did a good job shooting and presenting it. Hopefully it becomes easier to distinguish the characters with more episodes, but I imagine having to wait a week in between will make it a little rough. I can't really remember if you felt like you didn't recognize anyone in Band of Brothers at first or not. I think it's off to a good start, the episode felt like it was over far too soon. They're going a slightly different route than they did with Band of Brothers, but it still feels familiar.

On a personal note, it's one of those things, like Thin Red Line, where it's even more unsettling for me to watch since I understand what the Japanese soldiers are saying, makes it all seem that much more wrong. Regardless, I'm glad the less glamorous and camera friendly theater of the war is being shown in a series. I'm glad they're not pretending like the government sponsored de-humanizing racist propaganda didn't exist, and glad they're actually mentioning and showing the tremendous amount of casualties and losses America suffered in the Pacific.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 PM
so far so good for me. I think this is going to be a terrific mini series. I agree, it was over too soon..
Old 03-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
As some assumed beforehand, they seem to be trying to show atrocities on both sides, and the racist propaganda that was shoved down peoples' throats at the time. It seems to maintain a good balance though, but I assume it's going to be upsetting and off putting for the types of Americans' who choose to pretend their country did no wrong historically.

Once they got to Guadalcanal, it became quite tense, and they did a good job showing the confusion the Allies had when they arrived essentially without resistance. The first battle scene was properly intense and confusing, and I thought they did a good job shooting and presenting it. Hopefully it becomes easier to distinguish the characters with more episodes, but I imagine having to wait a week in between will make it a little rough. I can't really remember if you felt like you didn't recognize anyone in Band of Brothers at first or not. I think it's off to a good start, the episode felt like it was over far too soon. They're going a slightly different route than they did with Band of Brothers, but it still feels familiar.

On a personal note, it's one of those things, like Thin Red Line, where it's even more unsettling for me to watch since I understand what the Japanese soldiers are saying, makes it all seem that much more wrong. Regardless, I'm glad the less glamorous and camera friendly theater of the war is being shown in a series. I'm glad they're not pretending like the government sponsored de-humanizing racist propaganda didn't exist, and glad they're actually mentioning and showing the tremendous amount of casualties and losses America suffered in the Pacific.
The recognition of wrong on "our" side sounds cool! I remember when "Saving Private Ryan" came out, right wing nuts like Bay Buchanan were saying it was anti-American and ruined our memory of America's role in the war by showing its savagery. I hate these people.

I wasn't a fan of "Band of Brothers" when I bought the DVD set for my father, but he loved it. Can't wait to get this for his next birthday!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Refugee

I did record it, but I haven't watched it yet and may wait until the series is over and have a marathon.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm excited it's finally airing but I've had like no time this week, hopefully I'll catch it this weekend.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:17 PM

I watched it online but it couldn’t hold my attention the way Band of Brothers did. But it’s too soon to tell and I’m biased because the European theatre of WWII interests me more than the Pacific one. I would enjoy a similar miniseries written from a German point of view, but obviously that’s never going to happen.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I watched and have mixed feelings

I hate manipulation, the first part statesaide was quite boring,

that one American soldier might reconize the fact that Japanese soldiers are people too, and have wives and families, oh my.

could the Japanese expansion into less populated and resourse rich parts of the Pacific be compared and contrasted to the American expansion across the Western American continent and into Mexico, which happened less than 100 years earlier, I doubt they will go there.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree with the sentiments that the first part of the show was rather slow and tough to get into. The battle scene was great, but right now I don't feel much attachment to any of the characters, like the way I did to Dick Winters in Band of Brothers. Hopefully, that'll change soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I doubt they will go there.
Considering it's a World War II miniseries, I'd say probably not.

Anyhow, I don't get HBO so I haven't been able to see it, though I hear good things so far. I'll definitely pick up the series when it comes out on DVD
Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Caught part 2 last night. I'm awful with history, so I'm trying to watch & learn. I need a narrator as I watch.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
Blue Meth Addict

I thought last night's episode was fantastic, I was quite impressed.

Looks like the next episode is all shore leave related though, so I'm expecting to not be thrilled.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Great series so far. I'm so glad to see World War 2 kept alive in people's memories and not simply passing into history.