The Killing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
So I might be a little late to the game and it has in fact been cancelled, but I stumbled upon this on Netflix in my efforts to find some decent TV to get into and after checking out the almost overwhelmingly positive reviews, gave it a go.

It's weird..some of the dialogue is a bit corny/forced..but it is original from a foreign source (Scandinavia I think?) so it has that kindof feel to it...but there is something very engrossing about this show, and I'm through Season 1 and pretty much hooked. It's believable, absorbing, agonizing, you name it.

The episode where Jack goes missing felt very plodding and probably my least favorite, but it still allowed a glimpse into the characters' souls a bit.

I wish I could tag members here, because I'm guessing a few would recognize the Seattle sights and locales (Alicia? anyone else?)

It feels almost like older Canadian TV shows from BC. I probably don't know how to describe this properly, but I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks about the show in general..

It's based on a Danish TV show called Forbrydelsen that is much, much better.

Have you watched the entire 3 parts of it? My understanding is that it's in Danish only, but available with English subtitles.

The reviews for both are almost dead-even, and in a couple of places that I could see the American one nudges a bit higher, but there may be language bias at work there.

I also learned by reading more that a third season has been shot to be aired on Netflix, if I understand the deal correctly.

I'm not sure if I can sit through 3 seasons of a foreign language show, I mean I watch foreign films but it just seems alot. Also, I'm debating at what point should I watch Forbrydelsen, if I do? Like, do I watch it's Part 1 now, before I get into Season 2 of The Killing? Do I finish all of The Killing and then do all of Forbrydelsen? I mean, they're clearly both viewed as equally worthwhile viewing, so I'm thinking forgoing one for the other isn't really what I want to do..

I enjoyed playing "Seattle or Vancouver" in the first season, but I don't recall any specific things/places I recognized. (I'm sure they used stock footage of the Space Needle!)

I remember rolling my eyes at the constantly pouring rain, though. That was, like, way wrong.

I enjoyed playing "Seattle or Vancouver" in the first season,

I noticed this too. While I've never actually been to Vancouver, I've seen enough of it on TV and in movies that I was sure alot/most of it was being shot there. Looking it up confirmed that :up:

Yeah. That made me chuckle, too. I do enjoy the show though, as I'm currently partway through season 3 on Netflix.

Have either of you watched Forbrydelsen?

Wow, I guess I could have used the search function huh? :reject:

I truly do not watch alot of TV..it's either on recommendation or I stumble upon it. So that's my pleading in terms of why I don't see these TV threads alot :lol:

Thanks tho, I will take a read. Hopefully you guys spoilered enough..

:lol:

Yeah season 1 wasn't great .. Then again, I'm still recouperating from Dexter.. and Lost :angry:

One of these is not like the other.

If we're talking about season finales (which I was) LOST had the best season finales (seasons 1-5) of any show ever, to my memory. They were the best part of that whole series. Maybe the series finale (season 6) wasn't as beloved but I thought it was entirely fitting for the story they chose to tell.

The season one finale of The Killing was very poor.
But the leads are just as good or better in season two and three and the finales won't make you want to throw things at your tv. So, you may just as well stay with it.

So it's coming back for a fourth and final season that's exclusive to Netflix. I haven't watched Season Three yet, but most critics said it was an improvement on the previous story arc (what with it's annoying red herrings and all). My girlfriend and I were just waiting for it to come on Netflix in one big chunk since we'd known about their Season 3 deal in advance.

Season 3 is better than one. Worth a watch. The two leads in this series are why I watch. Only the end of season one got me upset with the writing.

Interesting you say that. I agree that the twists were a bit much in season 1-2...but I somehow felt myself not wanting to continue past season 2 when I finished it. I think it boiled down to me disliking some of those little annoying things (and the corny dialogue at times) but remaining fully invested out of interest in the family's story and solving Rosie's murder. When that came to an end, I felt the show could end right there and I'd be happy with that. I think one of the best things about the show is that it wasn't one of those "murder per week to solve" (probably a technical term for this in film studies or whatever) shows like all the others.

Having said all that, after a couple weeks off I did in fact start season 3..

Back
Top Bottom