The Killing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are we using spoiler tags for episodes already aired? Or do you mean if someone has seen the original Danish version and wants to speculate based on that?

Really liking this show. It's unsettling in a way a show hasn't made me feel in a long time. I blame the way Rosie died - that was like a gut punch, seeing that image, and it's just been downhill from there.

But in an awesome way!

Episodes that aired...I'm 1 behind.

The show is very moody, gripping......Seattle is a perfect setting. It's fun for me to see if I recognize certain areas, etc.....and, yeah, it's an unsettling show as well.

Perfect!

I like the casting of the male detective lead.
At first he kind of fades into the background.

0110.jpg

he seems to have an endless supply of 'cop weed'.

That guy is wonderfully creepy. I think I read he's Swedish or something? Or Danish? Something Scandinaviany.

re spoilers: Gotcha. In that case ....

I totally missed that the references to "Bennett" - he wrote the note, and I guess he was supposed to be in that picture in the trophy case that skeevy cop guy saw? I had no idea that "Bennett" was that teacher with dreadlocks. I think he's a red herring. I bet it turns out they didn't have some torrid affair or anything. I'm really bad with names on this show so far. Hence me calling him Skeevy Cop Guy.

Some of the downtown overhead shots are easy to ID as Seattle, but there are some where it's obviously not - any shot where the streets are just lousy with skyscrapers is Vancouver, because our downtown isn't THAT big.

Although I've never had a bird's-eye view, so maybe I'm wrong. There are some shots where I honestly can't tell if it's Vancouver or Seattle.

Oh, also a quick LOL re Seattle in this week's episode:

Ha, basketball-loving millionnaire and that stuff about the mayor not wanting to build a new stadium? O HAI, Sonics reference! Man, some Seattlites are still really bitter about that. Some guy showed up at Howard Schultz's book signing at Costco and heckled him about it.

But really, they should have made the reference about an arena, because a) Seattle already has two stadiums; and b) basketball is played in an arena.

I know there is a Swedish? version of this. I have not read anything about it at all.
I just want this to unfold however it is going to go.

I think there are some red-herrings being thrown at us.
I don't think any of the students or teachers are responsible.

While watching the 3rd episode, I got a flash of who I think the killer is, I wont even write it in a spolier, because if I guessed right I don't want to spoil it for someone else.

for the record

the actor or actress I think is the killer was born during the month of September.

just in case I figured it out. (or guessed right)

We have a thread for this now? :up: Last I knew it was just cori & I talking about it in the random thread.

My thought on the twist in the latest episode:

The teacher is a red herring, he honestly seemed devoted to his job and impressed by Rosie, plus he'd have to be super sick to go & talk to the mother like that, though obviously he'd overstepped boundaries with his relationship with the girl & not being up front about is going to cost him, but then again I'm the kind of person that wants to see the good in people, but I also think it's kind of early in the series to figure it out, kind of like all the throwaway suspects in the first 20 minutes or so of a Law & Order episode.

I have not watched the last episode.
But I do think the killer has got some screen time by now.

I don't think the last episode will be, "some escaped convict is introduced, he steels a car, sees her flagging down cars, throws her in trunk, etc."

I got my pick, I posted the actor's birth month,
so if I claim I got it right, his or her birth month will have to match.

Yeah I don't doubt we've glimpsed or met the killer, they should be in screen in the next few weeks at the latest, otherwise it's a cheesy twist like you said.

it was very subtle, when I had my a-ha moment

if it pans out, others will look back and say, yeah I didn't see it, but I can buy it.

If not, it will be one of my great 'wrong' predictions, like my early 'Lost' theories.

I agree about the red herring status of the new suspect.

And there's no way that the only black character in the main cast is goig to be the killer. Or even just an opportunistic perv.

Better than Twin Peaks? Nah, this is a fairly typical police procedural, it's very well-done but there's not really anything that unique about it. Hell, the plot is something you could have cobbled together from half a dozen Law & Order episodes.

Twin Peaks, on the other hand...well there's just been nothing like it on television before or since.

Better in terms of authenticity, but obviously Twin Peaks' creativity outstrips The Killing by far.

I've spotted many outdoor downtown shots that I can identify as Seattle. And others that must be Vancouver, because they're not downtown Seattle.

At least it's close, much as I love shows like Fringe, their attempts at Massachusetts geography are just embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom