The Killing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, it didn't really bother me until the end. I liked Linden putting herself in Rosie's shoes and figuring out what happened in the forest. But that final scene was fuckin' ridi-ka-lus.

The way they sold out Holder's character is inexcusable.

Actually, it didn't really bother me until the end. I liked Linden putting herself in Rosie's shoes and figuring out what happened in the forest. But that final scene was fuckin' ridi-ka-lus.

Sort of a one-two punch for me with some additional baggage.
Overall, I thought the series had been quite good up until most recently.

The overall Richmond as the killer arc, even if he ulitimately isn't the killer which is an issue I could get into all by itself. It's just...problem riddled. I like the idea of moving away from it but also hate the idea that they are going to continue this beyond season 1, which again - is probably worth its own discussion. I was mistakenly under the impression that this might resemble something like an anthology series of some kind - or perhaps even if using the same characters. (using season long mysteries).

But yeah the thing with Holder - I can't believe they did that. It's the second consecutive episode where they went for a WTF twist that simply doesn't connect on any other way but 'shock value', in terms of how they've taken character development to an unbelievable place. That's soap opera level BS.

But I am right with you when you say (imply) that it was passable up to that point. Although I thought the Richmond thing was either too obvious or lazy or...something of the sort, it at least did make sense on that same obvious level. Whereas the Holder thing was idiotic...and there is a lot more here that I could dig into but I am not sure it's worth the bother at the moment.

Mostly I am just greatly disappointed. Such potential.

Commenting on the Bill Simmons thing below (great article):

Bill Simmons said:
There's a great scene in the final show when he runs into the pregnant wife of Rosie's teacher — someone he had beaten into a coma a few episodes earlier, only she didn't know it was him, you know, because when someone beats your husband into a coma and gets arrested for it, and it turns out to be the grieving father of the biggest murder case your city has seen in a couple of years, you definitely won't ever want to know what this person looks like — and as they're making small talk...

This was part of the further discussion I was apathetic about getting into. Simmons nailed it. Also...how fucking dumb are we supposed to believe Holder is? it's one thing to outright betray a likable character playing against supposed 'type' (if you catch my drift) and it's another thing to make the certain actions unbelievable in that the character would have to be much much more dumber than ever displayed to do that. If anything, Holder only possessed that kind of 'street-smart'. Like he wouldn't realize that his little stunt would be easily and quickly found out/falsified by Linden? Amateur hour.

Although I don't know if I share the same level of vitriol that Simmons has for it. Probably because I am none too surprised by what transpired to be so angry. Just disappointed.

If only Simmons knew how to write. The best thing about Grantland are some of the articles mocking it. Fucking hack.

That being said, he's not wrong here. What a major, major disappointment. On many levels. I'm actually shocked at how horridly this ended.

The ONLY reason I started watching the show was because I thought that it would be a nice, tight 13 episode series chronically a "killing."
(a la so many other good, UK/European shows)

Now, I'm sucked into next season for at least the first episode to see if there is anything salvageable with Holder. I feel punked.

So, if it wasn't renewed would we have just had a killer in Ep. 13?

(Sorry if this should be spoilered, but who the fuck cares at this point? Really disappointing.)

You're right, the show's creator probably had multiple plans depending on whether or not it was renewed. I'm guessing an ending with Richmond actually being the murderer was filmed. By continuing to watch, we helped the ratings and thereby guaranteed a new season.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Actually, not me. I dl'ed all the episodes.

You're right, the show's creator probably had multiple plans depending on whether or not it was renewed. I'm guessing an ending with Richmond actually being the murderer was filmed. By continuing to watch, we helped the ratings and thereby guaranteed a new season.

I think I would feel less annoyed if they went the cheesy serial killer route and ended the season with some freak that follows Richmond killing his women. :shrug:

Then, at least, there would be a more plausible/watchable continuation of The Killing(s).

I'm more pissed that Rubicon wasn't picked up for another season than anything.

Would I be pissed off if I watched what episodes they did produce of that?
I know a lot of people liked it.

At least with Firefly I don't feel guilty telling people to watch it because what eps. they did make were golden.

I thought Rubicon was excellent. A show for people with an attention span, etc. There are loose ends that will never be tied up....which I can deal with, of course. I just hated to see a show with that level of patience and intelligence fail...doubly so, selfishly, because I LOVE the espionage genre.

Firefly was a lot of fun.

Sadly, I never even bothered with Rubicon beyond the second or third episode because I knew it was doomed to be canceled. That is to say nothing of its quality. I just thought to myself...this is too much investment even for a small cable audience. Also, I think I was watching like three shows at that time which were occupying 'investment' space.

Too much commitment anxiety with these shows...unfortunately they are my favorite (by far) types of shows. Long myth/mystery arcs, with good episodic character drama. The X-Files, LOST, BSG...but for every one of those shows, you have a Flashforward which went from 'terrific concept' to utter shite by the end. JMO.

My biggest heartbreak was when Carnivale was canceled.
I can't think of a more underrated TV show. Probably because nobody has seen it.
It's a fuckload more interesting than it sounds and the Season 2 finale has a hint of closure enough to enjoy it well enough. Such potential there...

I don't know why I can't get into Joss Whedon.
I've tried...it just doesn't click with me.

Firefly > Dollhouse, but I enjoyed both. Have never seen Buffy or Angel, likely never will.

U2DMfan, I'm the same way....I love shows with arcs...not exclusively, but, I definitely prefer them. I too knew Rubicon was doomed but stuck it out, I liked it too much to abandon it.

When Buffy started, for the first few years I said "That sounds dumb, why would I want to watch that bullshit?"

Then FX ran a marathon of all the seasons before season 6 premiered, and then I said "What was I thinking? This is amazing!"

Angel started off kind of goofy, but the last few seasons were ridiculously good.

-
tune in next season for more of the same crap on shit bread sandwich

the-killing-veena-sud-interview.jpg

Veena Sud, The Killing - shitrunner

“I stand by [showrunner] Veena Sud, and risk-taking is what we do; cliffhangers are a staple of TV and a huge part of mysteries,” Collier says. “If I could do anything differently, it would be to manage expectations.”
AMC president and general manager Charlie Collier

I guess it is our fault, we had the wrong expectations.

Chalk it up to yet another European series copied in the U.S. and is a letdown?

I love that they think The Killing audience isn't mature enough to tune in for a second season if the first one is wrapped up.
Hey AMC! Write compelling, interesting characters, and we'll follow them wherever (the '60s ad world, the CDC's doomsday dungeon, drug labs, wherever.)

:angry:

AMC apologizes over "The Killing" cliffhanger ending - WTAQ News Talk 97.5FM and 1360AM

AMC apologizes over "The Killing" cliffhanger ending

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:34 p.m. CDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Cable television network AMC on Thursday assured frustrated viewers of drama series "The Killing" that the central murder case would be wrapped up in the second season of the show.

AMC's original programing chief Joel Stillerman also acknowledged that the network "should have managed expectations better" when it ended the first season with a cliffhanger over the identity of the murderer.

"You will find out who killed Rosie Larsen in season two, definitely," Stillerman told television journalists.

"We are incredibly proud of the show as a whole. But we definitely did not manage expectations as we should have," he added.

"The Killing", a slow burning, character-driven series with dozens of twists and turns, was promoted by AMC over 12 episodes with the tagline "Who Killed Rosie Larson?".

But the first season ended in June without solving the crime, provoking protests from critics and fans alike.

Two of the show's stars -- actresses Mireille Enos and Michelle Forbes -- have been nominated for 2011 Emmy Awards.

AMC, FOAD!

Back
Top Bottom