The Jay Leno Show - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddysgonnapay View Post
why do these guests agree to go on his show?
Do you think any of his guests want to be on his show or any other similar show? They're on the show to promote their film/album/show/act. That's why they're on the show, not cos they really really want a positive interview experience.

As for blaming Leno, that's absurd. You don't think he's funny? Neither do I. But, he's allowed to express his desired and if NBC kowtows, that's on them, not him. So, if you feel like you have to get worked up about the entertainment business and need someone to blame, blame NBC.

As for Conan, here's hoping he comes back to NYC, I don't give a shit if it's on NBC or Fox, frankly, cos I get both channels and I know how to click my remote or program my DVR.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:01 PM
thank you for explaining to me why stars go on talk shows .....but I really do think they have some say on what shows they choose to promote their film/album/show/act.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 PM
What? No. They have a promotional tour scheduled for them.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Conan returning to New York sounds like at least one positive out of this. I was in a Business of Media course while the Jay Leno experiment was first going on and some of the interviews we had to read with the CEO of NBC discussing how GENIUS his plan for the Jay Leno Show was kind of made me want to slap him. They kept going on and on about how this couldn't Possibly fail because all Leno needed was about 1.5/2.0 rating for the show to be a financial success. I guess the backlash of having such a shit show never crossed anyone's mind?

I just want to know how this isn't some breach of contract as far as Conan is concerned, wasn't it IN his contract that he eventually was supposed to get The Tonight Show?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #35
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:01 PM
He still has The Tonight Show. It's just a slot change. What will a half-hour Leno show be? A long unfunny monologue?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
He still has The Tonight Show. It's just a slot change. What will a half-hour Leno show be? A long unfunny monologue?
Sorry, I was misunderstanding, it sounded like they were getting rid of him for some reason. My mistake.

Likely.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I just want to know how this isn't some breach of contract as far as Conan is concerned, wasn't it IN his contract that he eventually was supposed to get The Tonight Show?
I don't think they have taken "The Tonight Show" itself from him, only the time slot it's held forever.

However technically if he decides to stay and be on at 12:05 or 12:30, it won't be "tonight" any more .

At least if he's on later again, we might see more of his less restricted comedy. Still though, the whole mess sucks for him.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

My internet went down as I submitted my post, and when it came back up, well there ya go.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And they are actually considering giving him a full hour too.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

This whole thing is on NBC. 100%. And the motives behind it are almost identical to those that caused the whole Leno/Letterman thing back in 91/92. NBC wanted everything. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

They were afraid of losing Conan. They had to promise him the Tonight Show or face the very real risk of losing him to another network, so they had to get Leno out before he wanted to be out. Conan could have the Tonight Show and Leno would be retired. They could live with that. But as soon as they found out Leno was talking to other networks about a new 11:30 show? They couldn't live with that. So they cooked up the 10:00 idea in order to keep him. Two moves in a row both motivated by the desire to avoid seeing either Conan or Leno on another network.

It's like they learned nothing from the Leno/Letterman thing. Leno's agent at the time, who was famously, what would charitably be described as "aggressive", basically told NBC Leno would sign with another network if he wasn't contractually promised the Tonight Show. NBC bit, not wanting to lose Leno, and taking Letterman for granted. You know the rest.

There is a pattern here. A pattern of greed. You can hold on to something so tight, you've already lost it.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddysgonnapay View Post
thank you for explaining to me why stars go on talk shows .....but I really do think they have some say on what shows they choose to promote their film/album/show/act.
No, they really don't.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

There was a huge drop in affiliate ratings for local news-especially among certain demographics. That's what forced them to cancel Leno. I can't imagine what kind of half hour show he could have. 3 10 at 10's or whatever that segment was?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
There was a huge drop in affiliate ratings for local news-especially among certain demographics. That's what forced them to cancel Leno. I can't imagine what kind of half hour show he could have. 3 10 at 10's or whatever that segment was?
Carson Daly's show is a half hour, they manage a bit of comedy, a guest and sometimes even some music. Irony is if Conan stays on and starts at 12:05, Carson's show is confirmed to be getting the boot.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Fucking ridiculous. I hope theres a backlash and Leno tanks at 11:35 as well. Conan should go head to head with him on a different network. Fuck Leno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Unbelievable. Is anyone surprised the whole 10 PM experiment was a complete failure? And now Conan will be thrown under the bus. Just complete ineptitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that the reason Leno's ratings are tanking is because people don't want to see him and are sick of him? I know I am! So why move him to the prime spot? It's not fair to Conan. They need to get a clue that maybe Leno's time is over. Let him go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Leno is a little fucking baby. He made his bed. It didnt work out. Your fault. Instead he indian gives the 11:30 spot and disrupts hundreds of hard working people in the process. fucking unfunny douche

And Conan should be in New York. It just suits him so much better. I haven't watched in a while, but I do like him. I just do not like Leno. he was funny 20 years ago when he would guest on Letterman's show. I don't get his mass appeal
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Plus Headlines.

I suppose the one good thing to come out of this is that it doesn't look like there will be any room for Carson Daly.

Tags
jay leno, the jay leno show