The Hobbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocomet

Blue Crack Distributor
The Hobbit has finally begun shooting. :love:

Peter Jackson just posted this 1st video from the set and the first day of filming.
Peter Jackson Posts First Video From “The Hobbit” Set | Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

He's keeping fans up to date on his facebook page. Should be great to watch this come together finally. :applaud:

peterjacksonhobbit2.jpg

peterjacksonhobbit3.jpg

peterjacksonhobbit4.jpg

peterjacksonhobbit1.jpg

Didn't realize Peter Jackson had lost so much weight at some point. Wow.

The Hobbit is going to be shot at 48 Frames Per Second which is double the 24 Frames that have been used for the last century. Should look crazy realistic. :hyper:

In related news, the director's cuts of all 3 LOTR movies will be showing in theaters right before the Blu-ray release. Looks like they are one day, one showing only :ohmy: at least they are in my city. I got my tickets already! :D

Fellowship June 14
Two Towers June 21
ROTK June 28 (same day as Blu-Ray release) That one is 4 and a half hours long. :ohmy: It's gonna be fun!

‘Lord of the Rings’ Extended Editions Coming Back To Theaters This June | /Film

I am so excited about The Hobbit! I started following its progress on Facebook and didn't realize it was so far along already.

Although his character doesn't appear in J. R. R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit,' the elf Legolas will be making an appearance in the big-screen version courtesy of director Peter Jackson and Orlando Bloom. Bloom will return as the elf in the two-movie adaptation currently shooting in New Zealand.

Jackson made the announcement Friday in a Facebook post, saying "Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I'm thrilled to be working with Orlando again."

Orlando Bloom Returns to Middle Earth - The Moviefone Blog

I didn't read the book, so maybe I have no right to say this - but by putting Legolas in the movie, won't that hurt the movie rather than help it? I could see unhappy Hobbit fans everywhere about this.

IMO, I think Orlando is just trying to restart his stalled career.

The idea of putting Legolas in the movie never bothered me at all, and I have read all the books. It seemed a pretty simple and non-threatening to the story leap to make, as for one, Elves are immortal. But more importantly, there's no reason or evidence to suggest that Legolas wasn't in the Hobbit. Most the elves in The Hobbit are never even named, and it's almost more reasonable to assume that he certainly is one of the elves in The Hobbit.

there's no reason or evidence to suggest that Legolas wasn't in the Hobbit.

Except for the words on the page.

We know Orlando Bloom won't be a cameo. We fucking know this. We have minds, we can think critically. And I'm 10000000% positive that Jackson wouldn't waste the role of Legolas on a line or two. Guess what: he has no lines in The Hobbit. It's a money grab. It serves no benefit to adapting the original plot.

Yeah you missed my point. But I agree if he has a huge role, that would not be cool. I guess I should have said it won't bother me if he has a small part.

Sorry if I came across as unduly frustrated; I realize my fears are at least somewhat unfounded. I just don't think that The Hobbit needs any retouching. I'm afraid that a 300 page book padded out to two parts implies this.

Well, I'm hoping it's actually a good sign, that again Peter Jackson wants to get it right, like he did with TLOTR. I think he's smart enough to know that it would be silly to make Legolas a major role. I hope! I just don't see him changing things now after getting it so right before. (IMO!) The other thing is I think there is such a huge affection and camaraderie in this cast, the actors are probably happy to just have a small role, just to be a part of it again. I don't doubt the audience won't feel a bit of good nostalgia to see a bit of that on screen again, even if it is just a little bit. (I do! :reject:) Legolas just seems to be a good opportunity to do that (again hopefully not overdone!) as his character could be one of the elves in The Hobbit.

I'm not bothered if Legolas shows up in The Hobbit, minor or major role.

I haven't read the book in ages, but if I remember right the elves in The Hobbit were rather on the silly (and singing) side. I'm hoping that portrayal of the elves doesn't make it onscreen.

And does two parts mean that we won't see Smaug until the second film?

It's been years since I read it too, and I remember the elves being drunks! Okay well not totally, but they just weren't as clearly "evolved" as the elves we get in LOTR. And by that I mean I don't think Tolkien had really developed who they would be yet in his world. They were still cool though, just not exactly the same as the elves are in LOTR. Jackson is going to have to make some kind of adjustments here as the LOTR movies were made first. If he sticks strictly to the book, the two film projects will have big differences in what elves are like. It will be interesting to see how he handles that. If he decides to go by the book, I won't mind it, but I'll bet he knows a lot of the movie audience will not have read the books and are expecting the elves as they exist in the LOTR.

Apparently Jackson plans to film all the stories Gandalf tells about how he ends up where is and gets certain objects that are important to the overall story rather than having Gandalf just tell us. I believe one of these stories involves Legolas who was an unnamed elf in the story.

It's been a long, long time since I read the books but I do vaguely recall this from somewhere.

It was just announced that the two titles will be:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

and

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

While it's nicer than just Part 1/Part 2, I'd be happier if it was just The Hobbit, and TH: There and Back Again.

Apparently Jackson plans to film all the stories Gandalf tells about how he ends up where is and gets certain objects that are important to the overall story rather than having Gandalf just tell us. I believe one of these stories involves Legolas who was an unnamed elf in the story.

It's been a long, long time since I read the books but I do vaguely recall this from somewhere.

If Legolas' role is limited to something minor like this, I won't mind it at all. If he's a major character, I will.

I do not like Orlando Bloom.

It's not just Legolas that's bothering me. It's him, Galadriel and Frodo. Jackson's just cashing in on the star power of the first batch of films adding in unnecessary frills.

That being said, the idea of how it's going to be done, DOES intrigue me.

I can't really see how they make him a major part of the films, that would require a lot of new story.

Though maybe they want more diversity in the travelling party, being mainly hobbit and dwarf.

Damn, I wrote such a long post and it's gone due to 'maintenance'! Arrrgh.

So...

I think Legolas will be just a minor character. Remember, the company do pass through Mirkwood and wood elves take part in the battle against the army of wargs and goblins so Legolas could be there somewhere.

Frodo's role I think will be a sort of narrator's who recollects his memories of what Bilbo told about his journey.

No idea as to what Galadriel is doing in the Hobbit though :hmm:

No, I don't hate them at all. Love the films, especially the extended versions.

I just take issue with some of Jackson's directorial choices. I can't think of anyone else who wouldn't have fucked them up worse. Maybe Guillermo del Toro. I was a little bummed when he left the project because I think he's a far better visualist than PJ.

No, I don't hate them at all. Love the films, especially the extended versions.

I just take issue with some of Jackson's directorial choices. I can't think of anyone else who wouldn't have fucked them up worse. Maybe Guillermo del Toro. I was a little bummed when he left the project because I think he's a far better visualist than PJ.

This astounds me. Cos I've only read your negative comments towards the films....or maybe ignored it when you said positive things, that's possible.

I always keep silent when the trilogy gets bashed around here, but, I'm a HUGE fucking fan. I'm biased as hell, of course, grew up cherishing those books, but still. I'll sit and watch the Extended versions any time....looking forward to getting my Blu versions of them.

Oh, and, The Silmarillion FTW. :drool:

There's a third picture out there of PJ on set, and it looks like he turned back into his unhealthy fat hobbit self, he'll have to take on an over-budget stressful project again after this to get back to fighting weight.

Back
Top Bottom