The Hobbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigMacPhisto said:
Eh, that's what I was hoping for...I wish Del Toro had been the director and been given free reign. I want to see someone else's vision of Middle-Earth, even if it were creepier and uncompromising for the mass audience. Instead, aside from the frame rate change, we're just getting the exact same stuff from the first time around. I'd be alright with all of this if The Hobbit had preceded Lord of the Rings since the follow-up would have a more intricate story and, frankly, more of interest. Instead, this Hobbit duo-logy feels like a regression given how samey it looks and the source material's inferiority.

I get where you're coming from, & I'd be fine with someone creating a different vision of Middle Earth outside of these but it'd be odd doing it within the same continuity & this is going to be a multi billion dollar grosser, there's no way they'd piss off the people expecting the same look & feel. Think how irritated a lot of people are at Spider-Man being rebooted with a new look & feel, & that comes from source material that evolves & reboots constantly as a medium. Del Toro's influence will still be there as the screenplays were developed with him, but they were always going use the same production designers.

News is out there will be a third Hobbit movie. No word if its a new beast or a third extension of the one book.

Unnecessary. Why not go back and re-shoot the original "trilogy" to be 9 movies while we're at it?

They may mine the appendices, but even so it sounds like these films will have a large portion of (what essentially amounts to) fan fiction. I'm guessing they're going to ramp up the "whole of Middle-Earth is in jeopardy" angle a la LOTR, which isn't truthful to the book. One 3 hour film would have sufficed well enough.

Lee Pace as Thranduil :up:

thranduilleepace.jpg

Unnecessary. Why not go back and re-shoot the original "trilogy" to be 9 movies while we're at it?

Can we go musket hunt Peter Jackson together? I usually refrain from Utahn justice, but I'm beginning to seethe with rage.

They may mine the appendices, but even so it sounds like these films will have a large portion of (what essentially amounts to) fan fiction. I'm guessing they're going to ramp up the "whole of Middle-Earth is in jeopardy" angle a la LOTR, which isn't truthful to the book. One 3 hour film would have sufficed well enough.

Agreed. They didn't even need a second movie.

Theatres displaying The Hobbit in 48 fps:

48 fps Theater List - 48 FPS Movies

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25558/warners-talks-the-hobbit-hfr-rollout

Talking about the rollout with Deadline, Warner Bros Domestic Distribution President Dan Fellman says that equipment is being tested and glitches are being fixed even now, while the limited rollout is because the technology "is going to change the way people see movies… you have to do it right."

Along with color correction, and the addition of "graininess and filtering," the final footage will reportedly look very different to the footage screened to a mixed response at CinemaCon back in April. Tickets for the HFR screenings likely will cost no more than cinemas already charge for conventional 3D films.

Apparently there's like 6 different formats to choose from- 3D 48 fps IMAX, 3D IMAX, 3D regular, 2-D IMAX, 2-D 48 fps Regular, and 2-D Regular

I have not been in here in a while, and because of the conversation regarding Cumberbatch in the upcoming films thread, I just saw that there are going to be three movies.

Fuck it. I don't think I'm going to watch any of it.

Who the fuck is the "Necromancer" anyways?

So... :uhoh: any thoughts yet on The Hobbit: An Unnecessary Journey?

Just saw the IMAX 3D HFR version.

I enjoyed it mostly, as long as I knew what I was getting into beforehand. I'm sure I have more to say on this but for now.... I'm just kinda... huh. I understand the need for this cast to want to reunite, but cameos would have sufficed. It was way over the top and the art suffered for it. Sigh. Some first comments:

All the Lord of the Rings nods... totally out of place. I never enjoyed seeing Frodo again less. :tsk:

Galladriel? :down: Go. Away.

Thranduil and his Magnificent Reindeer STEED. :giggle: OMG, he brought the entire Elf Army out to toss his hair and shun you Dwarf BETCHES. :up: LOL.

And...

Who is Prometheorc? :scratch:

more than one reviewer is using this line as the take away

“I believe the worst is behind us.”

That, would be good.

And I think my favorite part of the movie might have been the last approx. 30 seconds. (Won't spoil that, though it really isn't a spoiler, it was just cool.)

The Radagast detour was odd and unnecessary. I can't for the life of me fathom why Peter Jackson decided to add a character that doesn't physically appear in the book and weighed down the pace, yet he did decide to excise Tom Bombadil completely from FOTR who WAS a real character. Also found Freeman a little bland. His Arthur Dent is almost identical to his Bilbo Baggins. I can see why they chose him, but his range leaves a lot to be desired. What a damn, damn shame Ian Holm was too old to don the furry feet again. His Bilbo was note perfect.

The Radagast detour was odd and unnecessary. I can't for the life of me fathom why Peter Jackson decided to add a character that doesn't physically appear in the book and weighed down the pace, yet he did decide to excise Tom Bombadil completely from FOTR who WAS a real character. Also found Freeman a little bland. His Arthur Dent is almost identical to his Bilbo Baggins. I can see why they chose him, but his range leaves a lot to be desired. What a damn, damn shame Ian Holm was too old to don the furry feet again. His Bilbo was note perfect.

Agreed on Bilbo. Freeman's character just didn't quite capture him like Holm did. There was something off in the character and maybe it had to do with writing too which I don't understand because yes, Ian Holm was so spot on! I must say I didn't mind seeing him at the beginning because he's so great as Bilbo and the opening narration was nice and one LOTR similarity that I enjoyed.
Frodo made me wonder where the audience canned "awwww" track was. I even felt Gollum was a little TOO much Andy Serkis. And Rivendell with Galadriel and the glowy lights and heavenly Elf choir music served no purpose, except to shine the glowy lights and heavenly Elf choir over Kate B. again.
Sadly so many things it seemed Jackson got right in LOTR, felt wrong in Hobbit. I even liked the Goblins the way they were portrayed in the caves so much more in LOTR. It really felt blatantly obvious that too much time spent on things here soured them. We didn't need 3 movies for this one nice little book and it shows.

Like I said before though, I kind of knew all this going in, so though it disappointed me to see it all pan out like we feared, I still enjoyed it for what it is.

And damn, Smaug has the chance to be soooo good... I hope he doesn't mess that up too.

The Radagast detour was odd and unnecessary. I can't for the life of me fathom why Peter Jackson decided to add a character that doesn't physically appear in the book and weighed down the pace, yet he did decide to excise Tom Bombadil completely from FOTR who WAS a real character.

Had Tom Bombadil been included, who knows if the mainstream audience would have gone with it, or just rolled their eyes at the rest of the film.

One of my least favorite parts of the novel, and a very, very smart choice to remove it from a film that was by no means a guaranteed hit at the box office.

So... :uhoh: any thoughts yet on The Hobbit: An Unnecessary Journey?

Just saw the IMAX 3D HFR version.

I enjoyed it mostly, as long as I knew what I was getting into beforehand. I'm sure I have more to say on this but for now.... I'm just kinda... huh. I understand the need for this cast to want to reunite, but cameos would have sufficed. It was way over the top and the art suffered for it. Sigh. Some first comments:

All the Lord of the Rings nods... totally out of place. I never enjoyed seeing Frodo again less. :tsk:

Galladriel? :down: Go. Away.

Thranduil and his Magnificent Reindeer STEED. :giggle: OMG, he brought the entire Elf Army out to toss his hair and shun you Dwarf BETCHES. :up: LOL.

And...

Who is Prometheorc? :scratch:

The good : Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollum (movie especially kicked up a notch after he appeared), Thorin. The familiar musical themes from LOTR were nice. Great Erebor intro.

The bad : rest of the Dwarves minus Balin. Instead of more distinct personalities we got virtual carbon copys of Gimli's clown portrayal in LOTR. And the unnecessary Elf army cameo brings back to mind the unnecessary Elf army scenes at Helm's deep. Much less great Shire old Bilbo-Frodo loooong intro.

The very, very bad : wacko hippie aka Radagast. Makes you feel good about them NOT going for Bombadil. Also all the cameos from LOTR. And is The Defiler supposed to be scary ? And the giant Toad-Orc is even worse.

The book is too short for this and it shows. That said, where's Mirkwood ? Thranduil's palace ? Beorn ?
And not showing Smaug in full, just once, feels like a rip off.

Surprised by all the complaints. I just enjoyed going back to Middle Earth so the length didn't bother me at all. It's also been a long time since I read the book so that might've helped.

I'm actually looking forward to going back and watching it again, and try not to be too critical. I loved the final scene and hope it means good things to come, as right now I'm betting on movie #2 being the best of the three. :wink:

I do have one more thought on what was mentioned before about Martin Freeman's Bilbo.... Yes he was a little bland when compared to Ian Holm. At times he was almost a second thought to what was going on, instead of the main character. BUT, I think this is partly the fault of the writing. He almost wasn't given enough to do. There was too much focus on other crap, (like wtf prometheorc, as I call him :tsk:) But again that is related to stretching a small book into 3 movies. Still though, Bilbo should have been more important here.

Anyway, next viewing will be just regular 2D 24 fps and should be good. :up:

Never read any of the books. So I am only judging this as a main stream movie.
I think it was good. A lot of it seemed familiar. I thought I may have seen some of the scenes or story before. But that must just be the similarities to some of Jaskson's LOTRs.

There was a family sitting behind me. A father with a 6 year old on his lap. The occasional talking did not bother me. Especially after Sandy Hook.

number one at the box office again this weekend

congrats to Jackson, this is actually a pretty good movie, it could have gone so much worse, lets hope the next two don't make me regret this praise

Saw the Hobbit over the holidays and really liked it. It maybe felt a little too linear whereas there were multiple story lines going on in the LOTR trilogy, but maybe it's a little unfair to say that about the first film of a trilogy.
The creatures, however, blow the LOTR creatures out of the water. The designs felt a little more Creature Shop-esque and fun, which was nice. Particularly the trolls (loved that scene). I also like that the goblins were cg (something I normally wouldnt say). In LOTR, having human actors for all the species made everything feel a bit samey. The goblins were a nice change from that.
Azog being CG was unnecessary though. He wasn't completely convincing and seemed more like an attempt at making a new Gollum than a necessary digital effect. There was nothing about his physique that kept him from being a man in practical, makeup effects. But overall, great creature quotient

Back
Top Bottom