“The Event”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
the_event_cast_new_Image.jpg

This is supposed to be the best new thing on network TV.

Will “The Event” turn out to be another “FlashForward” or the next “Lost”?

I'm going to give it a try, but I gave up fairly quickly on Flash Forward, so this one needs to hook me in pretty quickly .... and then go somewhere with it.

Sadly, I did stick with Flash Forward, and I'm not sure it was really worth my time.

And I didn't learn my lesson, as I watched all of Persons Unknown.

As for Deep's original question, even if The Event turns out to be better than those two, there's no way it's going to be another Lost. That was a very lucky confluence of creative minds, the right actors, and a studio willing to take a big chance with a lot of money. Plus a mythology that created a pretty big subculture online. Something like that doesn't come along too often.

I stayed with all of Flash Forward, there are worse series still on tv.

I did not finish Persons Unknown, and I usually ride em out.

This has been getting pretty good buzz. The director and writer have a decent pedigree.

Flashforward had one of the best pilots I've seen (should have given how expensive it was) but yeah it petered out pretty quick, and I was focusing on school and stopped watching, planning on catching up when I got the chance and then saw how the ratings were dwindling and anticipated its cancelation so I never bothered to catch up, good decision.

I don't know if I want to bother getting drawn in, but I guess with the kind of marketing blitz NBC has put forward I've gotta try. However John Ritter's son annoys me, a lot, and the whiny commercials about his whiny subplot detract from my interest. That and of a lllllll the serial shows that networks have tried only 24 and Lost have ever lasted, and neither of those was produced by NBC. With all that said, I will be giving the premiere a try.

I'm a sucker for anything even semi SciFi so I'll watch this.

I read an article on The Event and it mentioned how the creator had mapped out 5 season's worth of material before he even sold the concept to the TV Studio. So according to the article it might be a slow developing series with slow reveals.

I agree on some of the assessments on Flash Forward. the pilot was great and it could have been built upon to be an awesome series instead the writers took the easy way out and quickly devloved it into nothing more than a soap opera with a lot of plot holes.

Glad to hear there's a plan for the series because judging by the commercials it looked like there wasn't. Of course then again Tim Kring claimed to have 5 seasons planned out for Heroes from the start and we all know how convoluted that show turned after its one brilliant season.

I wonder if it's gonna start weirding me out when Blair Underwood comes in as the president since I'm in the middle of watching the first season of In Treatment where he is one of the patients.

Dude what the hell, ]
this was a conspiracy show for 58 minutes then turned into an alien show?

Or, at the very least sci-fi.

I read an article on The Event and it mentioned how the creator had mapped out 5 season's worth of material before he even sold the concept to the TV Studio. So according to the article it might be a slow developing series with slow reveals.

Good. :up:

It was pretty interesting last night. I'll give it a few episodes at least before I make a hard decision.

The worst thing last night was the obnoxious promos at the bottom of the screen. Dammit! Just let the show play, promos should be for into and out of commercial breaks.

I really liked the editing/shooting style of having the plot continuously bend back onto itself, I hope that wasn't just for the pilot, because otherwise it would reek of all the other generic attempts at serial shows in the past few years.

subcaps spliced with tv credits in the beginning, ruined it for me from the start... that and the irrelevant and awkward backandforth nonlinear narrative, again with the constant inyourface subcaps...

this is how i think the show will go down:

U.S. gvt. holds alien detention camp in Alaska. These aliens (Innes' character) are from another dimension/reality... "The Event" is where some select unassuming people fall into cracks of other realities, and both realities (Reality A and Reality B) change because the people (like Ritter's character) disappears from Reality A and appears in Reality B. Only the aliens can sense these things... and maybe that's how they roll (travel).

subcaps spliced with tv credits in the beginning, ruined it for me from the start... that and the irrelevant and awkward backandforth nonlinear narrative, again with the constant inyourface subcaps...

this is how i think the show will go down:

U.S. gvt. holds alien detention camp in Alaska. These aliens (Innes' character) are from another dimension/reality... "The Event" is where some select unassuming people fall into cracks of other realities, and both realities (Reality A and Reality B) change because the people (like Ritter's character) disappears from Reality A and appears in Reality B. Only the aliens can sense these things... and maybe that's how they roll (travel).

Yeah, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. The people could also just be from another reality and have better technology, which would be exactly like Fringe.

Also, there was a slo-mo scene in an airport at the beginning. Really? I'm getting more of a FlashForward vibe than a Lost vibe, and of course that isn't a compliment.

I must admit, hearing that it's about aliens has me flashing back to my bitterness over what happened with the X-Files, and it makes me not want to even start watching this show.

Yeah, the guy says he has 5 seasons plotted out, but why should I believe him? he's just going to string me along and make shit up as he goes, and I will end up putting my foot through my TV.

I must admit, hearing that it's about aliens has me flashing back to my bitterness over what happened with the X-Files, and it makes me not want to even start watching this show.

Yeah, the guy says he has 5 seasons plotted out, but why should I believe him? he's just going to string me along and make shit up as he goes, and I will end up putting my foot through my TV.

I won't mind being strung-along to a certain degree if the characters are interesting and I care about them. After the first episode, meh...but we'll see.

Yeah, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. The people could also just be from another reality and have better technology, which would be exactly like Fringe.

Also, there was a slo-mo scene in an airport at the beginning. Really? I'm getting more of a FlashForward vibe than a Lost vibe, and of course that isn't a compliment.

I don't think any of this really requires spoiler tags, since we are not revealing anything for sure, we are only speculating.

There was a lot of speculating the early seasons of Lost, much of it better than what the writers gave us in season 5.

I kind of agree with both of your speculations. These people being held in Alaska could be humans from a different reality or time, perhaps alien or hybrid of some sort. Lets hope they are not reptiles like we have on V.

We could have several episodes of small hints being dropped about who or what they are. That worked for Lost. I just hope it does not get too convoluted. It will all come down to the execution. Good production values will help a lot, too.

I won't mind being strung-along to a certain degree if the characters are interesting and I care about them. After the first episode, meh...but we'll see.

I'm glad they are letting out the secrets bit by bit, but the show is still kinda meh for me. The story is interesting, but the details are clunky.

The guy managed to run away from the black helicopters in the desert?
The hospital didn't have any security officers to watch the room?
Nobody in Brazil (and the news) has noticed that a plane didn't arrive?

3 more episodes and I'll decide if I quit it.

The Event just got picked up for a full season.

I'm still waffling a little on it, but at least now the rug won't be pulled out from under us too soon.

Back
Top Bottom