“The Event”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do tell..seriously..

I like The Event, also.

Well, first and foremost is The Venture Brothers on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. Fantastic show--smart, clever, funny-both toilet humor and highbrow. It's essentially a Johnny Quest parody, but done beautifully.

Obviously, Modern Family and Community--very funny shows.

Top Gear on BBC America--funny and cool.

Storm Chasers on Discovery just started up again--anything tornadoes, and I'm there. (but apparently no one on Interference cares to post about it)

Fringe is interesting and enjoyable with entertaining characters.

I like Destination Truth, but I can't recommend it to people because the execution is generally bullshit; it's just that the host is hilarious. It's more of a travel to crappy, creepy destinations show versus any sort of mystery solving.

There are several other shows on Adult Swim that are good, too, but I won't bore people with the details.

Good TV.

I have not checked Adult Swin lately, I should give it a look

my list of good TV includes:

Madmen
Rubicon
Sons of Anarchy
The Good Wife
MI5 (is currently playing on my PBS channel)
Modern Family
Eastbound and Down
Caprica
Southland - where ever that landed

I have high expectations for The Walking Dead on AMC

There are true life and and reality series I really enjoy when I watch them,
but I don't put them in the same category as scripted, produced programs .

Middle tier for me:

The Event
No Ordinary Family
Outsourced
Miami Vice
Detroit 187
Blue Bloods
Grey's Anatomy
The Mentalist
Private Practice

I am sure I am overlooking some.

I have not checked Adult Swin lately, I should give it a look

my list of good TV includes:

Madmen
Rubicon
Sons of Anarchy
The Good Wife
MI5 (is currently playing on my PBS channel)
Modern Family
Eastbound and Down
Caprica
Southland - where ever that landed

I have high expectations for The Walking Dead on AMC

I need to watch the first episode of Rubicon that I downloaded.

I've heard nothing but great things about The Good Wife--I love Ms. Margulies.

I watched the first episode of Eastbound--Danny McBride is hilarious (He was outstanding in Pineapple Express.). I need to catch the whole series.

Rubicon is a bit of an acquired taste. You watch an hour episode and not much seems to happen. The finale was not that great, the episode right before it was outstanding.

I enjoy it more because of the sound engineering. I am watching T V at 10:30 pm quietly alone in my house and my dog starts barking. Why? because the scene is in a public park and background sound has birds chirping, my dog thinks they are in my house.

Yeah, I don't watch enough TV to have tiers either. To be honest this is probably the most TV watching part of my life, proportionately. Unless we go back to my early teens, I watched more then I think.

I'm up to episode 9 of Rubicon Season 1, and am enjoying it as a pre-bedtime "book" kindof of thing. That's in no way an attempt to disparage it as boring, but it is methodical and slower-paced, and for some reason I find I sleep well after watching one or two episodes :up: It's compelling, so far. And I agree with deep on the soundscapes, I generally watch it with quality headphones and there have been moments where I've ripped them off thinking my dog was going off or someone was moving in the house.. :uhoh: (how that lends itself to getting to sleep after, don't ask :lol: )

I've also started on Party Down (yeah, I'm behind)

I can't wait for the return of Breaking Bad...and V. Dexter is a must.

My wife is totally engrossed in The Good Wife...noh, ya dont say!? :wink: It's ok, much better than the other crap she likes.

I gave up on Fringe. I just can't stand her, I don't know why.

Otherwise I'm taking notes here...thanks for suggestions! :)

JMO but Caprica is far away the best SciFi show currently airing.
If you haven't checked it out, you should.

The Event...meh. It's better than Flash Forward but that ain't saying much.

I must admit, hearing that it's about aliens has me flashing back to my bitterness over what happened with the X-Files, and it makes me not want to even start watching this show.

Yeah, the guy says he has 5 seasons plotted out, but why should I believe him? he's just going to string me along and make shit up as he goes, and I will end up putting my foot through my TV.

Spoken like a true X-Files fan? I am guessing.

Chris "shaggy dog" Carter pulling anything he could from his ass because FOX wouldn't let him end it. Then on the other side you've got Lindelof and Cuse from LOST who even got an 'end date' and couldn't solve all of their mythology (on screen). But...they did it better than Carter. Don't get me started on him.

Nobody can plan TV arcs out. Too many dynamics in the situation.
An actor wants out...something clearly isn't working...too many things to think about to plan too far ahead (in detail). All you can ask is consistency.

I think the guy from Babylon 5 is the only creator to have done this with success (planning specific mythology in advance).

For me The Event is just redundant. Nothing novel, but a pretty interesting show. Flash Forward got shitty and convoluted towards the end, that's why it was canceled.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything here...

Don't the girl's parents live in Maryland, or Georgia, or something?
WTF?!?! is with this show and driving these ridiculous distances in no time.
Sure, it's a big deal when a plane goes from Miami to Arizona in seconds, but when a car goes from Arizona to Texas, then from (was it Texas still? Colorado? whatever) to her parents' house in a matter of a half a day--no biggie.

This is going to grate on me unless they stop it.

The plot is fairly good, but as I have said, this show could not be more clunky in how they are putting it together.

Back
Top Bottom