The Eurovision Song Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good old political voting at its best. France, UK and Germany should stop funding and allow these so called ' European' nations to run the show themselves. Honestly are even half of these countries in Europe ?

As soon as Terry Wogan stops, i will stop. His comments make it somewhat bearable but im sure he's had enough now.

I'm very proud of Israel.

This year (for a change) we sent a really great song.
The singer was Boaz Mauda who was this year's winner of Israeli Idol.

He did a great job and we came in 9th - which is fine in my book.

Personally, I was rooting for Romania, Norway, Poland and Portugal - however they were all excellent songs - so naturally they didn't stand a chance!

Besides, the Eurovision is no longer pan-European. It seems like the contest was dominated by the eastern bloc countries which left out the western European and Scandinavian countries - so Russia's win wasn't a surprise. There are so many new "splinter" countries that were formed after the breakup of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, it was obvious that one of the Eastern bloc countries was going to win.

Anyway, as I said, Boaz did us proud!

Note:
Congratulations to Ireland for sending the absolute WORST song ever entered into the contest. They made a mockery of the contest and the "booos" that they received in the semi-final were too kind to them. Shame on you Ireland! For a country with the most Eurovision wins you really dropped the ball this time! Where's Johnny Logan when you need him?

As a public service, and for those of you who sat whistfully thinking of ESC gone by, I'm happy to post a brief video history of all the Eurovision winners from 1956 till last year. It's sad to see how it's all gone to hell.....

ENJOY!!

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xb9LXuROGI

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbk4pxXj_P0&feature=related

I'm very proud of Israel.

Congratulations to Ireland for sending the absolute WORST song ever entered into the contest. They made a mockery of the contest and the "booos" that they received in the semi-final were too kind to them. Shame on you Ireland! For a country with the most Eurovision wins you really dropped the ball this time! Where's Johnny Logan when you need him?

To be fair, the voting makes a mockery of the whole contest. Ireland could send u2 and Britain could send Paul Mcartney and we would still be no closer to winning the contest.

To be fair, the voting makes a mockery of the whole contest. Ireland could send u2 and Britain could send Paul Mcartney and we would still be no closer to winning the contest.

That's very true.

However, if Ireland didn't intend to take the contest seriously then they shouldn't have gone.

As it is, I have a feeling that a lot of countries will be dropping out of the ESC because it's just not worth all the trouble if the voting only goes one way.

Geez I'm good :cute:

And AchtungBono, sending good songs is so not the point of Eurovision. UK came stone motherless last and their song was good. It's how bad your hair cut is that wins Eurovision (ie Russia).

You know something? I totally agree with you!

Although after this year I guess it's also the height of the mini skirt that counts....

The Eurovision song contest hasn't been about decent music since the 60's...too many power ballads and nonsense...that said still oddly loveable nonsense, but I am beggining to bore of it.

Now if we had Bell X1 (for Ireland, U2 too obvious and would be considered cheating:wink), Air (France), Rammstein (Germany), Bjork (Iceland), Alphabeat (Denmark), Gogol Bordello (Ukraine) etc that would be an excellent contest.

Thank goodness Israel was the second song so I didn't have to suffer through the whole thing.

Norway's song was excellent - which is why I was surprised that it won....:hyper:

During the voting I could guess just which of the states would give to each other - it was obvious that Serbia would give 12 points to Bosnia and Armenia would give 12 points to Romania.....lol. They don't even TRY to hide their favoritism.

Btw - I sincerely hope the male host at the two semi-finals was sent for a long vacation - in SIBERIA!

This show needs a major overhaul, and the sooner the better!

All that being said - congratulations Norway!

I still have a soft spot for the Eurovision
but really :tsk:

I loooovvveeedd the Netherlands entry - old blokes in sparkly suits :cute: You wuz robbed. :no:

I really liked the Iceland song, so I'm surprised it did so well too :lol: Portugal deserved more points. Ukraine rightly didn't. And is a cute Scandinavian boy with a violin singing about the chick who got away really worth 3 bazillion points?????? More to the point, is Sakis from Greece straight? So much Eurovision, so many questions.....

As an Aussie viewer, I missed Terry, but our hosts Julia Zemiro and Sam Pang were actually really good. Julia should be world famous. Now.

It wasnt so bad

The Uk entry was a Leona clone
Iceland girl was well fit
same for Turkey

That Norway song is #1 all over europe on Itunes - not a bad tune

worst was the Ronan keating wannabe

U2 should have entered with Magnificent, might have been a hit then

I can't believe I missed it! But going to the Grace Emily on Sunday Night seemed like a good idea to myself and a mate, so... at least I think I taped most of it. Can't wait to watch it.

I can't believe I missed it! But going to the Grace Emily on Sunday Night seemed like a good idea to myself and a mate, so... at least I think I taped most of it. Can't wait to watch it.

I see your dilemma re drinking at the GE vs Eurovision. If the tape doesn't work, there's a repeat on SBS on Saturday arvo.

You know you want to.....

The votes from Cactus Annie:

12 Iceland
10 Portugal
8 Moldovia
7 Turkey
6 Norway
5 Bosnia
4 Greece
3 Azerbaijan
2 Croatia
1 UK

The political voting was much better this year although I do think sometimes countries vote for what they like because every country has its own traditional style of music what they like. Styles such as Salsa, Samba, Celtic, Calypso and Indian music are all very distinctive. We in the west push our crappy music onto them all the time, but maybe Macedonia may like Bosnia's entry because it's similar to their traditional music. That Moldovian entry had a similar style to a folk song that I have on a CD I have on Balkan music that's noted as being recorded by a Bulgarian band.

;)

Seriously, Greece, every other year you have some young ripped dude with a six pack with his shirt hanging off and this year you have his granddad. You expect to win with that?

Thank God Eurovision's back :heart:

Germany is the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest for the second time ever. Teenager Lena Meyer-Landrut wowed international audiences with her performance and won with an impressively wide lead.

The judges decided to give the prize money and recording contract to Greece

Well the winner had a huge lead so the final result wasn't exciting, but it was fun to watch whether UK would come last and which former Soviet republics would give Mother Russia some points :lol:

The butterfly wings were gold!

Back
Top Bottom