The Dragonball(Z) thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
After having this avatar for a while a few people acknowledged it and we sorta thought of starting a thread.
I hope this is the proper location but I'm not sure, since it's an anime, yet also there's the manga and the games.

I'm playing the DS game Dragonball Origins lately, which is pretty awesome and follows the anime nicely. It's a pretty good game! :up:

So, who are the fans here, what have you watched, what are your favourite characters/games/movies/episodes?

:D Post away!

I've seen most of DB, all of DBZ (as well as having recorded it all), and parts of GT. DB was alright, DBZ was my favourite, GT kinda sucked. Having said that, I remember when I was going into high school, waiting on GT. It took so long to come out and it was so disappointing.

Vegeta's my favourite character by far. I used to draw him a lot.
Example:

As for the games, I have played the first three Tenkaichi Budokai games and a GBA one whose title escapes me at the moment ...
I also played the card game pretty extensively in my early teens.

Anyhoo, my favourite saga is the Frieza Saga.

DBZ was a favorite of mine in my youth.

Kind of sucks that it takes 15 episodes for anything interesting to happen though.

^ That's why I read the manga instead, usually. Great art, and you can read it at your own pace, which is usually about five pages per second. Worth some investment, though.

I have a soft sport for Dragon Ball, it's not just a mad martial arts series to me, it's also really screwed up in great ways. You know, like how there's absolutely no explanation as to why the prime minister of the world is a dog. I love that.

My favourite characters are Tenshinhan and Piccolo.

I love it how in the new game they BARELY censor it. Like, son Goku is naked at several ocasions, Oolong wears the girl panties on his head, Roshi is a perve as usual.
The only thing I can think of is that when Goku promises Roshi that Bulma will take a walk with him, when Oolong transfers into her he does a little workout instead of taking off his top.

That Vegeta drawing is cool! :up: I should take pics of my drawings someday.. :hmm: I think I have a scan somewhere..

Make that had. :crack: It's gone, must've left it on my old pc.

Used to LOVE this show, every single morning I used to get up and watch Pokemon and this before school. Frieza saga was my favourite too, though I agree with LemonMelon though, I used to hate how this would happen:

Goku: "You killed my friends!"
Enemy: "Hahahahaha"
Goku: "Aarrrrrgggghhh"

Next 15 minutes were spent either powering up or going "kamehamehamehame..."

"Join us next time for the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z"

Personally favourite saga was the cell saga, just because Gohan was always my favourite, so it was his turn to shine though, pissed me off when they got to the whole Buu saga thing and he started off as the Great Saiyaman, way too wimpy.

I've only ever watched the anime and never read the manga, but perhaps someone here might know. During the end fight of the Frieza saga, it seems Frieza has Goku beat, hits him into the planets crust if I remember correctly. Then Gohan shows up gets angry and lays into Frieza for a bit. It was at this point where they made the wish on the Dragonballs to bring everyone killed by Frieza back to life right? I always thought Frieza had actually killed Goku, but Goku was brought back to life by the Dragonballs obviously a bit stronger, as seems to be the effect on Saiyans.

Used to LOVE this show, every single morning I used to get up and watch Pokemon and this before school. Frieza saga was my favourite too, though I agree with LemonMelon though, I used to hate how this would happen:

Goku: "You killed my friends!"
Enemy: "Hahahahaha"
Goku: "Aarrrrrgggghhh"

Next 15 minutes were spent either powering up or going "kamehamehamehame..."

"Join us next time for the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z"

:lol: That's right! I totally forgot about that, so frustrating! That's the only bad part about the shows, sometimes it's just way tooo long waiting before something happens.

My fave saga is the whole Boo saga's, :love: Majin Vegeta!

are you guys stoked for the new live action movie?

It's gonna su-u-uck....

Live action in combination with an anime/manga is obviously going to suck yea.

I'm still not sure wether I want to go see this or not. I mean, I got told that they omitted both Tien and KRILLIN! :huh: That makes no sense, he's a main character and Goku's best friend!

I believe they have a created a combined Tien and Krillin character:shrug:

used to love that show. i miss it being run on cartoon network. somehow i never did see the cell saga. i fell asleep during the garlic jr shit all three times i tried to watch it. DB used to put me to sleep as well. never saw GT. boo was probably my favorite, vegeta had some great quotes in that saga, although it started to lose me with some of the fusion characters toward the end.

how the hell do you leave out krillin? :mad: or combine him with tien? that might actually be worse...

The movie looks really lame, but I'll see it anyway, since I'd like to see what they can do with the series. Grandpa Gohan is basically the only character that looks even remotely like the original counterpart, and even that's a stretch since he was basically never in it anyway. The whole thing just seems almost too Karate Kid to me. Anyway, I'm mainly pissed off Tien and Chaozu aren't in it.

Personally favourite saga was the cell saga, just because Gohan was always my favourite, so it was his turn to shine though, pissed me off when they got to the whole Buu saga thing and he started off as the Great Saiyaman, way too wimpy.

I've only ever watched the anime and never read the manga, but perhaps someone here might know. During the end fight of the Frieza saga, it seems Frieza has Goku beat, hits him into the planets crust if I remember correctly. Then Gohan shows up gets angry and lays into Frieza for a bit. It was at this point where they made the wish on the Dragonballs to bring everyone killed by Frieza back to life right? I always thought Frieza had actually killed Goku, but Goku was brought back to life by the Dragonballs obviously a bit stronger, as seems to be the effect on Saiyans.

Yeah, the whole Great Saiyaman was a bit of a put off too, because the Cell saga was so great. It took a while for me to really settle into the Boo saga, but it's got some good stuff in it.

I don't remember all of that exactly, but Goku didn't die on Namek. Not sure if it changed in the anime, but in the manga Gohan is rescuing Bulma while that part of the fight is going on. Mr. Popo asks for the wish of bringing everyone back to life using the Earth Shenlong, and Dende does the Namekian Shenlong wish for everyone but Goku and Freeza to be transported to Earth. Hope that's what you mean there.

The Dende and Popo thing did happen in the anime, but I strictly remember Gohan having a fight with Frieza because he believes Goku is dead, then Goku appears out of Nameks surface again shortly after the wishes have been made.

Probably a difference between the anime and manga then.

The Dende and Popo thing did happen in the anime, but I strictly remember Gohan having a fight with Frieza because he believes Goku is dead, then Goku appears out of Nameks surface again shortly after the wishes have been made.

Probably a difference between the anime and manga then.

Hmm, nah - I can't find it in the manga. I do remember what you mean now, though. I know a few other things were added into the anime for that saga though, like the Ginyu force showing up at King Kai's place and getting beaten by Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu.

Never really understood this show, but my bro watched it heaps, I thought the fat characters looked pretty cool, so they were my favourites, Android 19 and Mr Popo....

I'm going to see it with one of my mates, she really wanted to see it anyway, and then I told her how much it's supposed to suck, and now we both want to see it even more. Good times.

Never saw the DBZ series :reject:
But I've read the whole (42 books long?) manga tho, and I love it! :applaud:
Played some of the Dragonball games for the PS2 too, and they were great

I just like the whole idea with the dragonball universe, that you can get stronger and stronger ... without limits! ... but still, someone will always be stronger than you!

I'm a pretty big Dragonball Z fan. My favorite saga is probably the Cell saga. There are some great fights in there and I much prefer Cell's personality to Frieza's annoying voice or Buu's...annoying voice. :lol:

I haven't seen the movie yet but I can already tell from the trailer that it's going to destroy everything about Dragonball that my childhood held dear. I mean, really, who thought the stupid teen from War of the Worlds remake would make a good Goku? When did that become a good idea? :doh:

I'm a pretty big Dragonball Z fan. My favorite saga is probably the Cell saga. There are some great fights in there and I much prefer Cell's personality to Frieza's annoying voice or Buu's...annoying voice. :lol:

I haven't seen the movie yet but I can already tell from the trailer that it's going to destroy everything about Dragonball that my childhood held dear. I mean, really, who thought the stupid teen from War of the Worlds remake would make a good Goku? When did that become a good idea? :doh:

It's not that bad...plus have you ever heard Goku's voice in the original Japanese version? It's awful. He's a better Goku than whoever did him originally...

Anyway there is a re-edited version of Dragon Ball Z being shown in Japan at the moment Dragon Ball Kai, removing the filler episodes and just re-editing to make it zip along better and follow the manga more closely, hopefully a reduction in the 20 minute episodes of people just staring at each other.

It's not that bad...plus have you ever heard Goku's voice in the original Japanese version? It's awful. He's a better Goku than whoever did him originally...

Anyway there is a re-edited version of Dragon Ball Z being shown in Japan at the moment Dragon Ball Kai, removing the filler episodes and just re-editing to make it zip along better and follow the manga more closely, hopefully a reduction in the 20 minute episodes of people just staring at each other.

Oh yeah, I think it must have been a woman who originally voiced Goku - very high pitched. I couldn't take the first few episodes I watched in the original Japanese seriously. The best dub I've heard is the Mexican one.

That sounds pretty cool, I bought the first series on DVD recently, the Saiyan Saga (probably my favourite) and I'm surprised with just how many shitty filler episodes there are in it. I also forgot that the series had a stupid subplot of the other characters at Master Roshi's watching the Saiyan battle on TV, which just completely destroys the flow of the whole thing... one of many reasons why I prefer the manga anyway - not to sound elitist or anything, I just like taking the story at my own pace (quickly) rather than having to watch three episodes for someone to punch a character.

That was the only thing that annoyed me about DBZ... the episodes in which one of the three things happened:

- one of the characters spent 10 minutes powering up
- one of the characters spent 10 minutes building energy, or in some cases the entire episode
- "you killed ...! you'll pay!"
- one of the charcters stands in one spot, sweating, blabbering in shock, for 10 minutes, Piccolo was especially good at this

Why
-

That was the only thing that annoyed me about DBZ... the episodes in which one of the three things happened:

- one of the characters spent 10 minutes powering up
- one of the characters spent 10 minutes building energy, or in some cases the entire episode
- "you killed ...! you'll pay!"
- one of the charcters stands in one spot, sweating, blabbering in shock, for 10 minutes, Piccolo was especially good at this

Why the Buu saga was a bit annoying.
-

I just saw it. Why? Why? :( Why tarnish the image of this brilliant anime with this painfull movie? :|:sad:

Speaking of the Buu Saga, I read somewhere that originally Toryiama wanted to end DBZ with Cell... Makes more sense to me, anyway...

I didn't care about Buu...

Back
Top Bottom