The Dark Tower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Why is there no thread for this yet?

One of my most beloved epics growing up, coming to movie houses/televisions soon. I may have to upgrade to 4K just for this.

Idris Elba
Matthew McConaughey
Aaron Paul

...and who for Susannah/Odetta/Detta?

I just hope it doesn't suck like many of the other adaptations of Stephen King's work...but with this cast, and Nikolaj Arcel directing...the sky's the limit for a very long and satisfying franchise.

Let's do this.

tumblr_lrftqjZ7wZ1qc4pwxo1_250.gif

Absolutely one of the worst reading experiences of my life, barring books 2 and 3. King may be my favorite author, and I'll watch this, but that entire series is a huge waste of time

imo

It was an interesting attempt at an uber-novel. It had its moments. I have less than zero expectations for any tv/film adaptation thereof. The track record of Stephen King adaptations - Shawshank Redemption, maybe Pet Semetary aside - is abysmal.

(Ok, I don't entirely count The Shining, because it was a Stanley Kubrick film first, and an adaptation second).

Not liking Wizard and Glass is madness.

This was my reaction when I first saw Ashley's take on the series, as that was my favorite of the books, easily.

I seem to be in the minority of also enjoying Wolves of the Calla, as it just felt like an old school Western to me.

The last two books are extremely mixed bags, as King disappears (or I should say appears) up his own asshole. I enjoy meta stuff, but much of what he did was ridiculous and eye-rolling.

Coincidentally, I'm currently reading The Wind Through The Keyhole, and considering it seems the most like Wizard/Wolves, enjoying it pretty well so far.

This was my reaction when I first saw Ashley's take on the series, as that was my favorite of the books, easily.

I seem to be in the minority of also enjoying Wolves of the Calla, as it just felt like an old school Western to me.

The last two books are extremely mixed bags, as King disappears (or I should say appears) up his own asshole. I enjoy meta stuff, but much of what he did was ridiculous and eye-rolling.

Coincidentally, I'm currently reading The Wind Through The Keyhole, and considering it seems the most like Wizard/Wolves, enjoying it pretty well so far.

Agreed with pretty much all of this. W&G is easily tops. The writing of the "flashback" story is seriously beautiful. Also a big fan of Wolves, close to being the most outright fun of any of them. And yep, Keyhole is really lovely much like the best parts of W&G, Wolves and Wastelands.

And as far as Straight King adaptations go, I'm really enjoy 11.22.63 so far. Solid stuff.

I must frankly admit that I like 'The Gunslinger' the best, what it suggested about what this uber-novel might have been. I'm not saying the rest of the series completely departs from that, but The Gunslinger, written so much earlier than the rest, has its own sensibility, closer dare I say it to The Stand... with its world so tantalisingly close to a vision of our own possible far future... than to the somewhat muddled mythos that came out later on (equal parts Wizard of Oz, Tolkien and Good, Bad & The Ugly).

I stand corrected on some of those film adaptations; Misery is definitely worth a mention, yes. Never seen Dolores Clairborne.

And as far as Straight King adaptations go, I'm really enjoy 11.22.63 so far. Solid stuff.

I watched Cronenberg's film of The Dead Zone again recently, and i think it's a very well-made work. It's a very somber film, the setting and the direction creating a tragic mood from the outset that carries all the way through. It may be episodic, but as a character piece it works.

Curious about 11.22.63

Exactly why it's a poor choice.

My thought is: It could be a great choice, but he's just going to play it as Jesse and it's not going to work.
Not liking Wizard and Glass is madness.

I'm assuming based on these posts that you two both recall that Wizard and Glass is my least favorite book reading experience of all time.

I liked Wolves of the Calla, actually. I kinda forgot about it, because it's almost entirely inessential to the rest of the story (as is the next book, come to think of it), so it just felt like King kinda stretching things out for no great reason, except to tell a really fun story. I mean, he basically wrote a cover version of Seven Samurai, so that's cool.

I also don't like that he's been pulling a JK Rowling with the series lately and writing so much side material for it. Just let it rest. Or to be a real King nerd, lye still.

Anyways, I'll watch this, but ultimately I'm still going to have to know that

It's all a huge meaningless waste of timeeeeeeeee...journey, not the destination, right? UNLESS THERE IS NO DESTINATION.

The other, and overriding, trouble with a tv or movie attempt at The Dark Tower is that they're about forty years too late. Roland Deschain was so clearly modelled on a late 1960s/early 1970s Clint Eastwood that I cannot picture anyone else's face.

The other, and overriding, trouble with a tv or movie attempt at The Dark Tower is that they're about forty years too late. Roland Deschain was so clearly modelled on a late 1960s/early 1970s Clint Eastwood that I cannot picture anyone else's face.

This.

I mean, King's admitted that Roland is Clint Eastwood, right?

...I just saw that Elba is playing Roland. I'd assumed it was McConaughey and Elba was Walter...um...ok.

I love Idris Elba, he's one of the best actors working right now, but I 100% do not get that casting choice. I trust him to make it work though, cause, yeah, he's incredible.

...I just saw that Elba is playing Roland. I'd assumed it was McConaughey and Elba was Walter...um...ok.

I love Idris Elba, he's one of the best actors working right now, but I 100% do not get that casting choice. I trust him to make it work though, cause, yeah, he's incredible.

He's fantastic in and of himself, but it feels like an... awkward move. Like I said, zero expectations.

Although, even in the nineties (if he was interested) Eastwood could probably have pulled it off. The books strongly suggest that Roland isn't an especially young man (well, no sense beating about the bush, he's fucking ancient).

Yeah, I wish this had happened while Eastwood still could've done it.

Hell, I think Eastwood could still do it now, the problem is how long is it going to take to get the series done? Eastwood's no longer a young man.

All this is assuming he'd be interested and in all likelihood he wouldn't be. But hypothetically, sure.

I predict the series (if it is a series) will take as long as the novel took to write. So, upwards of twenty eight years.

I think Eastwood kinda finished the whole Western thing the best way he possibly could have.

Also, I didn't realize he hadn't been in a film in 4 years, nor that I can name almost every movie he's been in since the 90s. He's really choosy with roles, these days, isn't he?

I was surprised to see he'd only been in 68 roles, period. I'd assumed it'd be a lot more than that, because, yeah, he's been in some weird shit.

Back
Top Bottom