The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my top 10 interference moments ever was that post. Impy might be an indie-tastic scum-horse who reeks of patchouli, but, he did something right on the Space Moon.

He's a man of many talents... and knows when to pick his spots. Space Moon bless him.

Holy shit is that Warren Moon with an Ackbar head??

That's easily the coolest thing I've seen so far today. And I've seen a lot of cool shit already today.

And you didn't even hallucinate this.

Well, you know, I wade through a lot of talk about PowerJuice, Sprunkerjuice, Lance's mom and whatever else all over this site, so you guys can put up with a few more silly gifs until I've gotten it all out of my system.

:)

Well, you know, I wade through a lot of talk about PowerJuice, Sprunkerjuice, Lance's mom and whatever else all over this site, so you guys can put up with a few more silly gifs until I've gotten it all out of my system.

I'm dealing with it just fine, today was the first time I made mention of it.

We all deal with myriad crap on this site, crap we'd love to see go away immediately.

Here's hoping you get this out of your system sooner than later.

I'm enjoying them. :wink:

Forget the rest of them. All their nonsense has gone on waaaaaaay longer than this thread. :) (and will continue to go on long after we're done here)

I've been re-evaluating the Batman movies since this one's come out... and TDK will end up being my favorite, but now I think I prefer Burton's Batman to Begins. They're neck-and-neck and it's probably too early to tell anyway.

Why don't you put that time and money towards seeing something like Pineapple Express of the new Woody Allen movie or something in theaters? I mean you've already seen it twice in the two weeks since its been out. Could you really watch it again this soon? And I'm not saying that as someone who wasn't in love with the film. I'm not sure I'd want to see any film that many times in such a short period of time. Hell, I only saw There Will Be Blood twice, and I fucking adored that movie.

Why don't you put that time and money towards seeing something like Pineapple Express of the new Woody Allen movie or something in theaters? I mean you've already seen it twice in the two weeks since its been out. Could you really watch it again this soon? And I'm not saying that as someone who wasn't in love with the film. I'm not sure I'd want to see any film that many times in such a short period of time. Hell, I only saw There Will Be Blood twice, and I fucking adored that movie.

Me?

I plan on seeing Pineapple Express and the new Allen film as well. I hear what you're saying, though.

I didn't mean for a few silly pictures to cause people to roll their eyes.

But I'm glad it's not just me amused by them.

NSW - thanks for your concerns. They are duly noted. I'm going on vacation later this week, so you'll be without them at least a week once I leave. ;)

NSW - thanks for your concerns. They are duly noted. I'm going on vacation later this week, so you'll be without them at least a week once I leave. ;)

I'm just speaking for myself, and was mostly teasing. Funny to see people ask you to keep posting them, though.

Where are you going?

Me?

I plan on seeing Pineapple Express and the new Allen film as well. I hear what you're saying, though.

Yeah, I don't mean to rag on you. But I've been seeing all over people posting ridiculous numbers of theater viewings for this thing, and I honestly think it's kind of sad in a way. I mean, 3 times isn't a big deal at all, forgive me for using you as an example before. But people are claiming to have seen it 5, 8, 10 or more times. That's just wrong.

AP Monday Movie Buzz: Bale's Batman voice too much?
Sunday August 3 1:44 PM ET

Though "The Dark Knight" has been a bona fide cultural event, boasting rave reviews and boffo box office, it hasn't been immune to criticism. Some have quibbled with its political undercurrents, and others have criticized a muddled theme.

But here's the critique most widely held: Why does Batman talk like the offspring of Clint Eastwood and a grizzly bear?

Donning the costume for the second time, Christian Bale has delved deeper into the lower registers. As Bruce Wayne, his voice is as smooth as his finely pressed suits. But once he puts the cape on, the transformation of his vocal chords is just as dramatic as his costume change.

Particularly when his rage boils over, Bale's Batman growls in an almost beastly fashion, reflecting how close he teeters between do-gooder and vengeance-crazed crusader.

"The Dark Knight" hauled in $43.8 million to rank as Hollywood's top movie for the third straight weekend, fending off "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which opened a close second with $42.5 million. It has earned $394.9 million in just 17 days, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Though much of the voice effect is Bale's own doing, under the guidance of director Christopher Nolan and supervising sound editor Richard King, the frequency of his Batman voice was modulated to exaggerate the effect.

Critics and fans have noticed.

"His Batman rasps his lines in a voice that's deeper and hammier than ever," said NPR's David Edelstein.

The New Yorker's David Denby praised the urgency of Bale's Batman, but lamented that he "delivers his lines in a hoarse voice with an unvarying inflection."

Reviewing the film for MSNBC, Alonso Duralde wrote that Bale's Batman in "Batman Begins" "sounded absurdly deep, like a 10-year-old putting on an `adult' voice to make prank phone calls. This time, Bale affects an eerie rasp, somewhat akin to Brenda Vaccaro doing a Miles Davis impression."

Before the similes run too far afield, it's worth considering where the concept of a throaty Batman comes from.

In his portrayal on the `60s "Batman" TV series, Adam West didn't alter his voice between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Decades later when Tim Burton brought "Batman" to the big screen in a much darker incarnation, Michael Keaton's inflection was notably but not considerably different from one to the other.

But it was a lesser-known actor who, a few years after Burton's film, made perhaps the most distinct imprint on Batman's voice. Kevin Conroy, as the voice of the animated Batman in various projects from 1992's "Batman: The Animated Series" right up until this year's "Batman: Gotham Knight," brought a darker, raspier vocalization to Batman.

Conroy has inhabit the role longer than anyone else and though animated voice-over work doesn't have the same cachet as feature film acting, there are quarters where Conroy is viewed as the best Batman of them all certainly superior to Val Kilmer or George Clooney.

The animated series are notable because they drew on the DC Comics of Batman as envisioned by Frank Miller, whose work heavily informs "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." (Bale and Nolan were unavailable to comment for this story.)

As Batman has gotten darker, his voice has gotten deeper. As some critics suggest, Bale and "The Dark Knight" may have reached a threshold, at least audibly.

Yeah, I don't mean to rag on you. But I've been seeing all over people posting ridiculous numbers of theater viewings for this thing, and I honestly think it's kind of sad in a way. I mean, 3 times isn't a big deal at all, forgive me for using you as an example before. But people are claiming to have seen it 5, 8, 10 or more times. That's just wrong.

You can rag on me all you want. The thing is, I can/will see it without excluding any other films that I'd like to see.

The 3rd time would be for IMAX, just to see it in that format while not being in the front row, like last time.

The last one really cracked me up, if that helps.

I'm so glad Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder are getting Wednesday releases now... I'm pumped for both.

If you've got the money, time, and love the movie, why not see it more than once? I'm not one to see movies repeatedly in theaters, but if it's something like TDK, I'm more than willing to, you know?

I'm afraid I don't know. What's "something like TDK"? And that's a serious question. What to you makes this movie in particular especially deserving of the multi-theater viewing?

I'm just speaking for myself, and was mostly teasing. Funny to see people ask you to keep posting them, though.

Where are you going?

Anyone else shuddering at the thought of NSW with a giant map on his wall, one thumbtack in Seattle, the other in Chicago, and a third in his hand as he refreshes this thread every 30 seconds?

I'm afraid I don't know. What's "something like TDK"? And that's a serious question. What to you makes this movie in particular especially deserving of the multi-theater viewing?

I'm a big fan of Batman and greatly enjoyed the film, so I saw it more than once and with a different set of people each time. Plus, it's made to be seen on the big screen, so why not give it the repeat business when I can?

I fully intend on seeing Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, and Woody's new film this month in theaters, too.

Where are you going?

Thanks for saying that - I'm sorry I got cranky about it. It was a bad time to pop online - work has been really stressful, and I overreacted (shocking, I know). Can you tell I'm looking to silliness and Batman for stress relief?

I'm flying home to Wisconsin for a cousin's wedding. :)

I don't know that I feel the need to see the movie again. If one of my friends who hasn't seen it yet wants to go, I might. My friend back home suggested The Mummy, which I reluctantly accepted as a fallback in case there wasn't anything else we could agree on seeing (HINT BATMAN HINT).

I'm flying home to Wisconsin for a cousin's wedding. :)

Uh oh. If you see anyone in the back of the banquet hall or church or whatever looking like this, don't say I didn't warn you:

brs17large.jpg

No spoken words, just a scream.

Back
Top Bottom