The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well yes, because he has a mask on! Unless he made this face :ohmy: or :shocked: we can't tell if he's shocked. It's like the superhero equivalent of Botox! :wink:

I love the Spanish title. El Cabellero Obscuro!

(sorry if that spelling is wrong ... I'm going from memory)

a simple shot of Batman's face could've worked

and here the movie is BATMAN: EL CABALLERO DE LA NOCHE something like THE NIGHT KNIGHT :huh:

I have no idea why people are trying to argue differently on that point specifically.

People are arguing about it all over the Internet. It's not just a few people here. I may not have questioned it had I not seen it back-to-back with Batman Begins where Albert scolds him for being too personal in trying to save Rachel. Wiki says it was a switcheroo by the Joker so I am cool with that if you can go with Wiki, but I think it was sloppy.

^I didn't recognize you - what happened :ohmy:

Yeah, wanted to de-Jokerize my avatar, but couldn't find where I'd stored the original Edge Guinness pic. The sig will probably change again soon...just thought it was funny. ;)

It was definitely sloppy, the aftermath of the event even moreso, I've been saying that since the moment I walked out of the theater. But there's really no debate that The Joker gave Batman the wrong adresses so that he ended up saving Dent. That's. What. Happens.

Yeah, Batman's not much for the explaining or the excuses.

"But ... but ... but ... I went to save Rachel! RAAAAAACHELLLLLLLLLL!"

What's done is done in his mind, I think. He saved his pretty tears for that scene in his penthouse. :wink:

I'm just saying, I didn't see a single shred of evidence presented to me in the film that was strong enough to explain the way Dent acts after the accident. I mean, there are reasons and vague explanations for it, but none of it really makes that much sense or is particularly compelling.

I'm just saying, I didn't see a single shred of evidence presented to me in the film that was strong enough to explain the way Dent acts after the accident.

The first thing he saw after he heard the news about Rachel was a text message she'd sent him the afternoon before she died:

Maggie_Gyllenhaal_i__98612o.jpg

I'm leaving in a half hour to see this. It's about fucking time.

Now that I know what sucks about Dark Knight, I'll be sure to focus on that for 2.5 hours. Thanks for the help, guys. :up:

I didn't realize you hadn't seen it yet. Have fun!

I know I'm jumping in here randomly :reject:

But I haven't seen the movie either... but I'm thankful for waiting another week cause I've been afraid that with all the fan reviews I've read (both here and lurking on the Superhero Hype boards) that I thought the movie would totally suck (to the point where I wouldn't like Ledger's version of the Joker)

I'm leaving in a half hour to see this. It's about fucking time.

Now that I know what sucks about Dark Knight, I'll be sure to focus on that for 2.5 hours. Thanks for the help, guys. :up:

You haven't seen this yet? :tsk:
No one told you to open the thread. Serves you right. :tsk:

Ok, so so so.... how'd you like it? :hyper: :waiting:

I know I'm jumping in here randomly :reject:

But I haven't seen the movie either... but I'm thankful for waiting another week cause I've been afraid that with all the fan reviews I've read (both here and lurking on the Superhero Hype boards) that I thought the movie would totally suck (to the point where I wouldn't like Ledger's version of the Joker)

Everyone in here, with one exception has liked or loved the film, and even the one person that disliked it loved Ledger. Rotten Tomatoes has it at over 90%. What in the world would you have gleaned from this site that would make you think it sucked????

Everyone in here, with one exception has liked or loved the film, and even the one person that disliked it loved Ledger. Rotten Tomatoes has it at over 90%. What in the world would you have gleaned from this site that would make you think it sucked????

I hope you're not talking about me because I did like it, I just didn't love it as much as everyone else but that's to be expected--I see all the superhero movies, and all the big action movies of the summer, and then I forget about them--just not my thing really. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself during this movie. I just didn't expound on all the good things about it because I didn't have much to add there and being as whiny as the next person, naturally I only mentioned what bugged me.

So to mention some things I liked--Gary Oldman was excellent, better though, I thought in Batman Begins. I had forgotten what a great actor he is and it was great to see him again playing against character. Someone else mentioned being disappointed by Maggie Gyllenhaal. The only disappointing thing about her was there should have been more of her. Bale I love as Bruce Wayne but as Batman it's hard to say--hard to tell what was going on behind that mask and the dumb voice. I had no problem understanding the Batman voice, though. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is that scene with Batman standing on top of that building against the skyline of the city. Very very cool.

Ledger I can't say enough about. I can't think of when I've been more blown away by a performance.

I would have preferred more real storytelling narrative (like they did so well in Batman Begins) over the noisy chaotic blowing up things stuff (yeah, the Joker brings chaos, I get it) but maybe that's a very girly thing to say.

The whole Hong Kong scene could have been cut in my opinion, and they could have spent more time on developing other storylines that left me going huh? How did they get there? What just happened with...who did what?

I couldn't figure out how Lucius could possibly know what was going on in front of that matrix of screens but I did like the tension between the two boats.

I loved everything about Michael Caine in both movies (it's hard for me to separate the two since I saw them back-to-back).

Also, they were running every friggin Christian Bale movie on cable this week so I also just saw The Prestige the night before I saw Batman Begins which was the night before I saw TDK, so I'm kind of depressed now that I don't have any more Michael Caine/Christian Bale/Nolan movies to watch. I don't know what to do now.

Okay, this is all I have to say. For now. Thank you.

:wink:

I hope you're not talking about me because I did like it, I just didn't love it as much as everyone else but that's to be expected--I see all the superhero movies, and all the big action movies of the summer, and then I forget about them--just not my thing really. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself during this movie. I just didn't expound on all the good things about it because I didn't have much to add there and being as whiny as the next person, naturally I only mentioned what bugged me.

So to mention some things I liked--Gary Oldman was excellent, better though, I thought in Batman Begins. I had forgotten what a great actor he is and it was great to see him again playing against character. Someone else mentioned being disappointed by Maggie Gyllenhaal. The only disappointing thing about her was there should have been more of her. Bale I love as Bruce Wayne but as Batman it's hard to say--hard to tell what was going on behind that mask and the dumb voice. I had no problem understanding the Batman voice, though.

Ledger I can't say enough about. I can't think of when I've been more blown away by a performance.

I would have preferred more real storytelling narrative (like they did so well in Batman Begins) over the noisy chaotic blowing up things stuff (yeah, the Joker brings chaos, I get it) but maybe that's a very girly thing to say.

The whole Hong Kong scene could have been cut in my opinion, and they could have spent more time on developing other storylines that left me going huh? How did they get there? What just happened with...who did what?

I couldn't figure out how Lucius could possibly know what was going on in front of that matrix of screens but I did like the tension between the two boats.

I loved everything about Michael Caine in both movies (it's hard for me to separate the two since I saw them back-to-back).

Also, they were running every friggin Christian Bale movie on cable this week so I also just saw The Prestige the night before I saw Batman Begins which was the night before I saw TDK, so I'm kind of depressed now that I don't have any more Michael Caine/Christian Bale/Nolan movies to watch. I don't know what to do now.

Okay, this is all I have to say. For now. Thank you.

:wink:

M'lady, I meant Girls Aloud Fan.

I have to put in another word for Oldman too. One sign of a great actor is when you can completely forget it is them that you are watching and only see the character... Oldman keeps doing that to me in the same way Ledger does as the Joker. I love Gary Oldman and have loved so many of his characters over the years. I think he's amazing... but watching this movie I kept forgetting it was him! He is so good in this role, I think it's one of his best characters, and that's huge considering how great so many of his others have been.

I have to put in another word for Oldman too. One sign of a great actor is when you can completely forget it is them that you are watching and only see the character... Oldman keeps doing that to me in the same way Ledger does as the Joker. I love Gary Oldman and have loved so many of his characters over the years. I think he's amazing... but watching this movie I kept forgetting it was him! He is so good in this role, I think it's one of his best characters, and that's huge considering how great so many of his others have been.

He's awesome in these films, no doubt, but Gordon does not compare to Stansfield.

stansfield.jpg

Back
Top Bottom