The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dad of the year :up:

He should hook up with the mother of the year

britney_ciggy.jpg

Yeah, this should be interesting. Anybody catch the Catwoman reference in the Dark Knight?

I would actually like to see, or at least have reference to Joker and Two Face, one thing I hated about the first films is there was never any carry over.

Maybe have Joker orchestrating somethings from behind bars.

I think Riddler or Catwoman are the logical choices, I really don't think the Penguin or Freeze would carry over well in live action, especially freeze.

Yes, I loved that Catwoman reference.

The Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman are all possibilies and welcome for me. Catwoman makes the most sense for two reasons: they need another female lead, and she could be one of the "copycat"-type crimefighters out there or something.

Someone like Blackmask or Deathshot would be cool to see, too, even if they are lesser known characters.

Yes, I loved that Catwoman reference.

The Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman are all possibilies and welcome for me. Catwoman makes the most sense for two reasons: they need another female lead, and she could be one of the "copycat"-type crimefighters out there or something.

Someone like Blackmask or Deathshot would be cool to see, too, even if they are lesser known characters.

I've read in a few places that Nolan wants to try and avoid characters that have been done in movies before. Joker was a had-to-do because he's essentially Batman's Lex Luthor/archnemesis. I think there are difficulties with the previously done villains, too. The Riddler----they kind of covered some of what he brings to the table with the Joker. The Penguin---he's a little too far-fetched for the "real world" that Nolan's trying to create with Batman. He's a possibility if they just make him a fat guy who has the nickname "Penguin" because he's fat. Freeze--too corny. To bring Two-Face back, they'd have to come up with a really explanation of what happened to the body after Gordon leaves him. I think with the way that they talked about Dent at the end and seemed to have a memorial service for him, you're supposed to get the impression that he's dead...and they'd need some believable story for how he's not if they brought him back.

I'd say that they're more likely to bring in a lesser-known character as the villain and focus on Batman and his role as vigilante a little more. Ending with Batman as an outlaw, the smashing of the Bat Signal, and Batman on the run chased by the cops (a scene taken almost directly from Batman: Year One..very cool) makes me think we'll get a hint of the Spider-Man 2/"hero is pubicly viewed as a bad guy" plot.

A female character is necessary, but that's the hard part. I doubt we'll see Ivy, and Catwoman will be difficult---they'd have to totally re-do her. Will the public accept a third incarnation of Catwoman so soon? Not impossible, especially seeing as how WB/DC are already thinking of re-doing Superman all over again since the last movie sucked hard. Who knows?

Michael Emerson could do a Mad Hatter.
William H. Macy could do a Clock King.
...but I still think Harvey will be back in the next one.

(and I'm hoping for no Cat-Woman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, or Penguin)

Notes from IMDB on the score:

The "Batman" theme is heard only twice in the film, as Composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard decided that a heroic theme that a viewer could hum would ignore the complexity and darkness of the character. Hearing the tune only twice would create what Zimmer calls "a musical foreshadowing."

Composer James Newton Howard composed an elegant and beautiful score for Harvey Dent, which would serve as a jarring contrast to Two-Face's persona.

Looks like the lack of a sweeping, uber-present score was intentional.

I think it would be pretty easy to bring Dent back.

Flash back:

It appears Dent is dead, so Gordon and the rest of the police chase Batman. When they return Dent's body is gone. They assume its been stolen. They choose to have a memorial for him like Batman said. Only to find out that Two-Face is still out there and becoming even more sinister. Not the best storyline, but it could work.

Personally, I am in favor of bringing the Joker back and have him working through 1 or 2 other minor villains.

Alright my nerdy minions, due to my athletic ability (I captained my hs bowling team and averaged 256/game as senior - can you say "Varsity Letter"?) and the fact that women and men in windowless vans find me attractive, I do not know as much about comic books as the rest of you.

However, I did love The Dark Knight. So, while we are all still feeling hot and bothered by the latest Batman let's turn our attention to the next movie. What direction do you think the next film should take? Nolan finished Batman Begins with a nod to the Jokers presence in the next film. He ended TDK with Gordon smashing the Bat Signal and Batman on the run. Will that be the dominant theme of the next film?

Which villains should Batman face in the next film? Should the Joker be recast and make another appearance?

The only assumption I have is that Christopher Nolan will be back to direct and that the actors of all the main characters (save Ledger, of course) will be back.

Ok my little nerdies: GO!

Honestly, I think the villain in the next one has to be Catwoman. I think it would be the best fit for the movies that Nolan is trying to make. And if they can find the right actress, it could be awesome.

I believe it was our wise friend LemonMacPhisto who suggested that Rachel McAdams would be a good Catwoman/Selina Kyle. I think that's a great call. She's talented, hot as hell, and blonde. She could be perfect.

This is another reason why I think LMP should quit puttering around on this website and move out to Hollywood and get into the movie biz. Maybe he can become really rich and come back and share the wealth with all of us!

:shrug:

To bring Two-Face back, they'd have to come up with a really explanation of what happened to the body after Gordon leaves him. I think with the way that they talked about Dent at the end and seemed to have a memorial service for him, you're supposed to get the impression that he's dead...and they'd need some believable story for how he's not if they brought him back.

I think it would be easy to bring him back. I'm not sure what you mean by "explanation of what happened to the body after Godon leaves him". When did Gordon leave him? If he's alive he obviously would need hospital care and would be put there in secret, so escaping would be pretty easy.

I think killing him right away would be a huge diservice to the character, but then again Nolan has taken some huge liberties in rewriting some of the villians. I think they left it up in the air for obvious reasons...

Honestly, I think the villain in the next one has to be Catwoman. I think it would be the best fit for the movies that Nolan is trying to make. And if they can find the right actress, it could be awesome.

I believe it was our wise friend LemonMacPhisto who suggested that Rachel McAdams would be a good Catwoman/Selina Kyle. I think that's a great call. She's talented, hot as hell, and blonde. She could be perfect.

This is another reason why I think LMP should quit puttering around on this website and move out to Hollywood and get into the movie biz. Maybe he can become really rich and come back and share the wealth with all of us!

:shrug:

You are a kind man. I read she was almost Rachel in Begins, too. I just call her Rachel McAwesomesauce.

I've read in a few places that Nolan wants to try and avoid characters that have been done in movies before. Joker was a had-to-do because he's essentially Batman's Lex Luthor/archnemesis. I think there are difficulties with the previously done villains, too. The Riddler----they kind of covered some of what he brings to the table with the Joker. The Penguin---he's a little too far-fetched for the "real world" that Nolan's trying to create with Batman. He's a possibility if they just make him a fat guy who has the nickname "Penguin" because he's fat. Freeze--too corny. To bring Two-Face back, they'd have to come up with a really explanation of what happened to the body after Gordon leaves him. I think with the way that they talked about Dent at the end and seemed to have a memorial service for him, you're supposed to get the impression that he's dead...and they'd need some believable story for how he's not if they brought him back.

I'd say that they're more likely to bring in a lesser-known character as the villain and focus on Batman and his role as vigilante a little more. Ending with Batman as an outlaw, the smashing of the Bat Signal, and Batman on the run chased by the cops (a scene taken almost directly from Batman: Year One..very cool) makes me think we'll get a hint of the Spider-Man 2/"hero is pubicly viewed as a bad guy" plot.

A female character is necessary, but that's the hard part. I doubt we'll see Ivy, and Catwoman will be difficult---they'd have to totally re-do her. Will the public accept a third incarnation of Catwoman so soon? Not impossible, especially seeing as how WB/DC are already thinking of re-doing Superman all over again since the last movie sucked hard. Who knows?

Along the lines of what Dalton said, Dent's status after the film is left ambiguous. I'm in the camp that thinks he's alive and they're faking his death to save his credibility. If Rachel and Batman can survive a fall from the top of a penthouse apartment, and Maroni only breaks his ankles after falling from about the same height, I think Dent's okay.

As long as its a popular character, I think people are okay with it being brought back, especially if it's from Batman's rogues gallery.

Personally, my favorites for the next film are Deadshot (hired to "kill The Batman" or something) and Blackmask (for the mob presence and his character's parallels to Bruce Wayne... or I may be confusing him with Hush). Bane would be pretty cool, but his appearance in Batman & Robin ruins the credibility, I think. Plus, he breaks Batman's back, where's the fun in that?

The Penguin could be done as a badass British mobster, like Bob Hoskins or something. I can see that happening as well. I doubt there would be another Penguin/Catwoman team-up and that there would be more than one more new villain if Dent does come back. That would just be too much.

Talia Al Ghul would be interesting and bring it back to the first film, if it's a trilogy, but I don't know how she'd fit. The Lazarus Pit would also not fit in Nolan's universe.

Michael Emerson could do a Mad Hatter.
William H. Macy could do a Clock King.
...but I still think Harvey will be back in the next one.

(and I'm hoping for no Cat-Woman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, or Penguin)

The Mad Hatter's too outlandish and I don't even know who Clock King is. Why not bring back King Tut for that matter, you know? I love your two casting choices, however.

How about David Bowie as Hugo Strange? Why? Because he's got the power of voodoo.

.... because you're afraid you'd decide to leave them in the car while you watch a movie?

Say what now?

I'll post again just to look at my pretty, pretty avatar.

(But thanks for the response - I had to wonder! :lol: )

Also, there's this:

jkjcw5.gif

I think it would be easy to bring him back. I'm not sure what you mean by "explanation of what happened to the body after Godon leaves him". When did Gordon leave him? If he's alive he obviously would need hospital care and would be put there in secret, so escaping would be pretty easy.

I think killing him right away would be a huge diservice to the character

Along the lines of what Dalton said, Dent's status after the film is left ambiguous. I'm in the camp that thinks he's alive and they're faking his death to save his credibility. If Rachel and Batman can survive a fall from the top of a penthouse apartment, and Maroni only breaks his ankles after falling from about the same height, I think Dent's okay.

As long as its a popular character, I think people are okay with it being brought back, especially if it's from Batman's rogues gallery.

What I meant by 'when Gordon leaves the body' is basically 'what happens after the last time we see Dent.' I mean, Gordon's not going to tie himself to TF at the hip, whether he's alive or dead. If he's assumed to be dead but they bring him back, Gordon has to leave him when he's carted off to the morgue..and then Dent has to somehow escape alive...and some explanation of that has to come about and be somewhat credible. If he's really alive and the memorial is faked (or "real" because it's for Dent and now he's TF) and he's receiving secret medical care, that explanation needs to created and pretty believable. I mean, I know that there's an accepted bit of supernatural/'suspension of disbelief' (i.e., Ra's al Ghul...though they avoided mentioning that he's hundreds of years old...), but if Dent is really still alive, then it needs to be explained in a way that doesn't put the credibility of Nolan's world in jeopardy. To just have him appear on the loose and have someone say, "Yeah, we pretended Dent was dead but we gave him secret medical care, put him in Arkham, and now he's escaped"....well, that just doesn't really cut it. All of this argument is because I believe that we're supposed to assume that he's dead. What with him lying there out cold and the memorial service for Dent, I think that to say that we're supposed to assume that he's still alive requires either a wish not to see him dead or a little conspiracy theorizing. Of course, the memorial could be for Dent because now he's Two-Face, but I still don't think that that's evidence that we're supposed to assume he's still alive and that that we're supposed to recognize that that was the reason for the memorial. Thus, bringing him back needs to have some explanation that doesn't seem hokey---at least for the people who'd never thought that the memorial was to honor the "death" of Harvey Dent.

Annnnnyway.... I really don't care if he's dead because I really don't see much of a point of bringing him back. The crux of the Two-Face character is in his downfall. After that, he's pretty boring. Sure, he provides the occasional storyline of "dammit, Harvey, I know you're in there...do the right thing," to which he sometimes proves good and sometimes proves evil. That's interesting, but not really enough for a whole movie in and of itself--the same way Green Goblin 2 wasn't really enough to carry a whole film itself, and thus had to be a fraction of Spider-Man 3. If it's not going to carry a whole film and it's used as a minor plotline, then that makes it far too easy to end up with a fractured story--much like Spider-Man 3 (which did a terrible disservice to Venom in a similar way).

They could bring him back and make him somewhat interesting if they did a story similar to "Dark Victory" (Batman: Dark Victory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). This would have TF back and waging war on the mobs as sort of a villain vigilante (plus-minus the plot of framing Dent as a cop-killer). This would have him seem to be bad through most of the plot, with glimmers of his good side shining through. It's basically the only type of storyline that has TF be interesting, and, I'll cede, could warrant a whole film. Most of his other storylines pin him as a two-bit criminal that occasionally makes you feel sorry for him when his good Dent side shines through.

So, I guess I'm saying this: Do a storyline like "Dark Victory" as the next film if you want Dent alive; otherwise, let him be dead.

^^^ That's the best GIF ever made. I have it saved somewhere on my Mac.

I'm the goddamn Batman!

AARON ECKHART - ECKHART AGREES TO THIRD BATMAN FILM

Aaron Eckhart would reprise his role from THE DARK KNIGHT - because working with Christian Bale is "phenomenal". Eckhart, who plays District Attorney Harvey Dent in the sequel, confesses he "absolutely" would star in a third Batman film. He tells WENN, "To work with Christian (Bale) all over again, and the cast, would be phenomenal. I think this movie is a movie of a lifetime."

That's the best gif in the world. :lol:

AARON ECKHART - ECKHART AGREES TO THIRD BATMAN FILM

Aaron Eckhart would reprise his role from THE DARK KNIGHT - because working with Christian Bale is "phenomenal". Eckhart, who plays District Attorney Harvey Dent in the sequel, confesses he "absolutely" would star in a third Batman film. He tells WENN, "To work with Christian (Bale) all over again, and the cast, would be phenomenal. I think this movie is a movie of a lifetime."

:eyebrow: The title of that article should be: "Eckhart Would Agree to Third Batman Film If Asked." Sounds like he'd jump on it if someone invited him, but it doesn't actually say anyone's asked him to do it...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom