The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I'm sure that a bunch of fawning over a film can become annoying (and, yup, I'm fawning over this film), but, jesus Lance, maybe see the fucking movie before you start your whining about it?

Some people like to bitch just to bitch. I hate hype more than the average person. (ie I refuse to see Superbad b/c some many people said it was, and I quote, "the funniest thing ever." :| ) I understand hating the hype.

But seriously lance, your whining is much more credible when you have specific things to whine about. The "reports" you've heard don't cut it. That's like me saying, "From reports I've heard, the White Sox are one bat away from being a great team."

Ridiculous, no?

I need to cite specific sources now? If you really want me to I'll look back through all the things I read with the highlights of my concern. Although I'm sure all anyone will do is either try to discredit the reviews/reviews I mention, or beat up on me for "whining/bitching" even more thoroughly.

Because we all know all I ever do here is whine and bitch about movies. I hate everything, remember.

When did I ever post my own "impressions" anywhere on this board yet? I think you misinterpret. I can certainly be disappointed by other people's own impressions who have seen the movie and posted their own reviews and reactions, which is what I'm talking about. Obviously I don't know for a fact what I'll think about the action in the film or the script myself, but I've read detailed impressions and descriptions from others on those matters, and currently I'm preparing for a film of lesser excellence than I was originally anticipating.

Isn't this why we read reviews in the first place?

Fair enough. I always read the reviews afterwards, just to avoid spoilers/having the thoughts of others coloring my own judgement, but I see your point.

Fuck you.

I need to cite specific sources now? If you really want me to I'll look back through all the things I read with the highlights of my concern. Although I'm sure all anyone will do is either try to discredit the reviews/reviews I mention, or beat up on me for "whining/bitching" even more thoroughly.

Because we all know all I ever do here is whine and bitch about movies. I hate everything, remember.

To be clear:

I don't care if you see it and dislike it; I'd never try to discredit any negative review of this film, let alone your own review.

GAF just called it a shit movie and I just shrug my shoulders, sorry that he disliked it after he was so amped up, that's a bummer.

If we all wandered in here and thought the same things, it would be boring and pointless. I have zero problem with you disliking Nolan's direction of action scenes, I just want to hear how YOU feel about it, after you see it.

I passed by the Regal theatre in Union Square today and there were still line ups and it was sold out all day. Insanity.

I never watch anything in the movie theatre twice and I rarely see anything a second time on DVD either, and same goes with this movie. Although I do wish I'd seen it in IMAX when I had the chance.

It is quite a bit better than Indy 4.

And I took some crap for going against the hype on Indy 4.

I have not given my impressions, yet.

I did get caught up in the excitement and go the first day.

I did wait in line about 25 minutes.

I did like the movie, quite a bit.

I am asking myself if I can be objective and just judge it as a 'comic book' movie. There have been a lot of these lately.

That is the standard it should be compared against. imo.

As for Heath? Top notch work.
No doubt this will be his most successful film. (box office - money wise)

I do not think is is his best work.
The character is very one or perhaps two dimensional.

Yes, he nails it. But where is the arc. The nuance?

His work in "Brokeback" is far superior to this.

As for this film. With all the high points. One can overlook the deficiencies, and there are some.

The last film with Bale and Nolan was more impressive than this one.

Titanic is certainly a film I'll only see the one time.

I never quite understand why people refuse to see a film twice, or re-read a book, but they, I suppose, cannot understand why I'd re-watch films or re-read books. I just do not think that pieces of art are meant to be viewed, seen, listened to, etc, just the one time.

I think that I'm feeling maudlin all over again about his passing since having seen DK. What a fucking shame. 28 years old.

:sad:

Last edited:
I never watch anything in the movie theatre twice and I rarely see anything a second time on DVD either, and same goes with this movie. Although I do wish I'd seen it in IMAX when I had the chance.

I feel the same way.

I saw TDK Friday

and two foreign language films last night.

I read on this board that someone watched a torrent version of "No Country" on their computer screen. I'd have to be in lock-up to do that.

But, I am considering going to the IMAX, it is 20 miles from my house, just to pay my last respects to Heath, whatever that means.

I don't watch anything on my computer screen unless it's something simply unavailable to me via traditional means (Old BBC TV series, for example, like Survivors).

Titanic is really only worth seeing one time, unless one feels compelled to study and effects/camera/sound work on repeat viewings... which I have. Otherwise it's vastly inferior to anything he's done before...aside from Piranha 2 of course.

Titanic is certainly a film I'll only see the one time.

I never quite understand why people refuse to see a film twice, or re-read a book, but they, I suppose, cannot understand why I'd re-watch films or re-read books. I just do not think that pieces of art are meant to be viewed, seen, listened to, etc, just the one time.

Deep, I thought Ledger was fantastic in DK, but, I will agree and say he was even better in Brokeback.

I think that I'm feeling maudlin all over again about his passing since having seen DK. What a fucking shame. 28 years old.

:sad:

I've seen Titanic in it's entirety, I think, around 4 times.

And certain scenes I have seen close to 10 times because when it comes on TNT I make sure to catch them (particularly Leo's first dinner with the hot shot passengers of the ship)

And, yeah, me too about Heath. Since the movie came out I've been crushed all over again by his passing. I loved his work in Brokeback but I think this is the more memorable performance for me.

A beautiful actor, and a damn shame.

I get what you are saying.

But, for me it is all a question of time.

There are so many "other" books and films that will go unread and unseen by me.

I did watch both "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" in the theaters a 2nd time this last year and got more from each film.

I may re-read Lolita, sometime in the future.

I did take my 30% coupon to "Border Books" yesterday and buy the "Watchmen" graphic novel. I am trying to absorb the images along with just reading the captions, so I get the full story. I do not have a lot history with reading comics. So this is a new process for me.

Same here.

I'm just not a big enough movie buff to care to see something twice. And I'm a more physical person and don't really enjoy sitting for 2-3 hrs at a time. So with my limited free time, I'd rather do other things than go see something I've already seen.

There are so many "other" books and films that will go unread and unseen by me.

I did watch both "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" in the theaters a 2nd time this last year and got more from each film.

I may re-read Lolita, sometime in the future.

I did take my 30% coupon to "Border Books" yesterday and buy the "Watchmen" graphic novel. I am trying to absorb the images along with just reading the captions, so I get the full story. I do not have a lot history with reading comics. So this is a new process for me.

I understand the "time" issue, but I'm not encumbered by it, luckily. I stay up late, and so even when I find myself busy with work and softball and actually being social, there's plenty of time for me to watch/read the things that I want to. I have been a night owl since I was a little kid. I also read quickly, so that helps.

Watchmen is a great place to start, or perhaps re-start in your case. I hope you enjoy it. I read it due to Laz recommending it less than a year ago, so, I came to that party late, too, but I'm glad that I did.

Same here.

I'm just not a big enough movie buff to care to see something twice. And I'm a more physical person and don't really enjoy sitting for 2-3 hrs at a time. So with my limited free time, I'd rather do other things than go see something I've already seen.

I manage to do other things, too, thankfully.....for such a boring and lame person, I have broad interests that also include physical activities (No, Laz, this is not where you utilize innuendo). :)

But, we had this conversation ages ago, no, when I got on your case for not making time to read novels because you were reading like 1,000 pages a day for school. :)

I think it's retarded that the film is #1 on IMDB? That's all I've "whined" about regarded this film so far.

I am pissed
WALL-E is only number twenty fucking three ? :huh:

If WALL-E does not get a best actor nomination - the whole process is corrupt!!!!!!

Did not mean to single you out.

Yes, there is a bit of irony or sarcasm.

to think out that of the Hundreds of Thousands of films ever made
there are 22 that are better than WALL-E, can that be possible ?

and the articles calling for an Oscar for Heath
are a bit much.

Oh, agreed on both points. I liked Wall-E a lot, but is its place deserved? Absolutely not. But the same can be said for most films on that list, which is why I often ignore it. But it's still shocking to see something usurp the great Godfather, much less that something be a friggen Batman movie. Strange.

I still rate the list for the sheer variety of films from all genres, years and countries (definitely not the ordering), but it does get ridiculous with some of the more hyped blockbusters debuting high each year.

But I share your surprise that The Dark Knight knocked The Godfather off it's perch, I don't even think any of the LOTR films managed that feat.

The Godfather has been #1 for as long as I can remember ever using IMDB at the very least, which has been at least 4 years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LOTR films broke into the top 4 or 5 at the height of their popularity, but I doubt that even reached #1.

Ditto. When I first checked it at length about three years ago ROTK was #5, FOTR in the teens and then TTT in the 20s, but they probably started higher up like you said.

I really should leave all this Dark Knight stuff alone, I really want to enjoy it but I think all of the hype and near universal praise is going to make me criticise and nitpick more than I would have otherwise.

"Johnny Fontane will never get that movie! I don't care how many dego guinea wop greaseball goombah bastards come out of the woodwork!"

Maybe, but I also think the greater a film is/appears to be, the more deserving it is of intense scrutiny and criticism... in a thoughtful constructive way mind you.

Fantastic film. One of the best movie adrenaline rushes ever. There was never a chance to catch your breath -- the action just kept on coming. Heath Ledger's performance was as good as all the raves. Unfortunately, he makes Batman seem boring in comparison.

I didn't care for the Two Face angle very much, and I would have liked the movie even more if the Joker had key lieutenants he trusted (it takes a big organization to cause so much mayhem that requires so much advanced planning -- yeah, yeah, it's a cartoon world, I know). As it was, it seemed like he picked up all his help from the mental wards.

9 out of 10. I usually don't like comic book movies all that much, but this is certainly one of the best of the genre that I've seen, if not the best.

I manage to do other things, too, thankfully.....for such a boring and lame person, I have broad interests that also include physical activities (No, Laz, this is not where you utilize innuendo). :)

But, we had this conversation ages ago, no, when I got on your case for not making time to read novels because you were reading like 1,000 pages a day for school. :)

Haha. I guess it's just that I can always think of something else to do instead of spending another 2 hrs at a movie so that's why. And honestly, I don't really love movies enough to care to dissect them like you guys - I go watch them for entertainment most of the time so that's why also.

And I finished a book just today. :)

I used to see movies in the theater multiple times, and there are many movies I've watched again and again on TV or DVD, but it's been a long time since I've seen a movie more than once in the theater. But this one? This one, I'm seeing again. I'm aiming for Tuesday night at the Imax, with one of the same friends I saw it with on Friday! I can't wait.

It's funny - I was sad when Heath died, but didn't find myself overly sad and caught up in the tragedy of it all. I know people react differently to these things, and different celeb deaths hit different people, but I thought it was sad and moved on.

After seeing TDK and then catching much of Brokeback Mountain on cable last night, it's finally hitting me more than it had been. What a horrible waste of such a talented man. What a shame.

(But still - cannot WAIT to see it again!)

I have this huge write-up planned for this, but I'm still not 100%. It'll be here soon though, along with some other random ones.

Back
Top Bottom