The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you wonder why I don't want to post it NSW? Ok Fine:

I did like it. But Jesus people. It's a movie based on a comic book and you're talking Oscars. The movie would've been 9/10 if there had been more Joker, less Batman Death Growling, NO Two-Face, and the movie had ended 40 minutes before it did

And you wonder why I don't want to post it NSW? Ok Fine:

I did like it. But Jesus people. It's a movie based on a comic book and you're talking Oscars. The movie would've been 9/10 if there had been more Joker, less Batman Death Growling, NO Two-Face, and the movie had ended 40 minutes before it did

I'm totally fine with your review. I just want to discuss it.

I'm wondering why you find it odd that we'd talk Oscars about this movie. Why does its origins make a difference when it comes to judging the quality of the film?

Your other criticisms are reasonable and something that is based on taste, that's just the one I was wondering about.

I'm totally fine with your review. I just want to discuss it.

I'm wondering why you find it odd that we'd talk Oscars about this movie. Why does its origins make a difference when it comes to judging the quality of the film?

Your other criticisms are reasonable and something that is based on taste, that's just the one I was wondering about.

I just have a hard time ever viewing a character in an action film, in this case on based off of a comic book, as a possible nominee for an Oscar. Though yes, I would agree, if ever this was the time for one, I think Heath Deserved it.

I'm sorry I came off the way I did at first...it's been a long day, and I spoke rather hastily.

This is not FYM, you're not going to get attacked.

You're wrong. :mad: And let me tell you why with a huge post that doesn't actually address reality or your position.

--

I think I'm going to try and see this tomorrow night. I've heard some interesting reviews on both sides, but from the sounds of it I'ma gonna like it.

I just have a hard time ever viewing a character in an action film, in this case on based off of a comic book, as a possible nominee for an Oscar.

That's why I don't like the Oscars sometimes. Too much of a bias towards artsy stuff. Which, yes, in many cases it is deserving. but action movies are usually dismissed and only qualify for stuff like visuals and sound. Not every action movie is a vapid SFX extravaganza though. Some are really well made, with stellar acting, and some are even thought-provoking ... namely, this one. It truly is more than "just a comic book movie," though I think comic book movies deserve more credit anyway.

if it were up to me this and iron man would be up for best picture 'cause they're the two best movies I've seen this year :lol: That's just my taste. Not that I don't love other kinds of movies, I just think this has been an excellent year for comic book movies. my dad collects comic books, I think they're cool :shrug:

That's why I don't like the Oscars sometimes. Too much of a bias towards artsy stuff. Which, yes, in many cases it is deserving. but action movies are usually dismissed and only qualify for stuff like visuals and sound. Not every action movie is a vapid SFX extravaganza though. Some are really well made, with stellar acting, and some are even thought-provoking ... namely, this one. It truly is more than "just a comic book movie," though I think comic book movies deserve more credit anyway.

if it were up to me this and iron man would be up for best picture 'cause they're the two best movies I've seen this year :lol: That's just my taste. Not that I don't love other kinds of movies, I just think this has been an excellent year for comic book movies. my dad collects comic books, I think they're cool :shrug:

That's fair enough. I also hate it when only artsy stuff gets nominated for awards too. I just usually look to drama and dramadies when it come to the awards I suppose. But honestly who can take the awards seriously anyways.

Loved it. LOVED IT.

I had a really hard time hearing/understanding the Batman voice, most of the time. That's the one thing that bugged me pretty consistently.

Saw it and loved it. I went in with high expectations and they were met. I also loved seeing Chicago as the backdrop. :nerd:
I will provide a better review than this tomorrow. lol

Last edited:
I'm also going to wait a week or two mainly so that the crowds can thin out a bit (I'm not a big fan of crowded places) and I also have something from My Coke Rewards for a freebie AMC ticket and large pop (I'm trying to get another one as of right now....but I don't have enough points and it takes 2-4 weeks for me to actually get it :sigh: )

I saw it tonight.

Errrrr......I'm not sure how how to begin.

First of all (and probably the most important point) Heath was fucking incredible. He OWNED the screen. God bless you Heath and may you rest in peace.

Let me say it one more time...Heath was fucking awesome. Mesmerizing, funny, chilling, perfectly demented and perfectly scary when he needed to be. A unique and entirely unforgettable portrayal of a classic comic book villain. The voice, the look, the smacking of the lips, the rolling of the eyes. He was able to make you believe in him as a nihilistic psychopath, as a sympathetic and misunderstood delinquent, and as an epic genius mastermind of crime...all at the same time.

I cannot say enough about the late great Mr. Ledger. He had me on the edge of my seat when he appeared on screen and he did not disappoint. What a brilliant performance. RIP.

That being said, a great deal of the rest of the movie left me feeling sour.

Sonar? Really? Batman defeats the Joker in the end by use of fucking sonar? That choice took me out of the movie completely. I also didn't particularly enjoy how the whole 'social experiment' with the boats was handled. Most of my complaints come from the last 30 to 40 minutes of the film. Something just didn't sit well with me during those last 30 minutes. I think it was the whole sonar thing. Goddam I hated that.

And yes, Bale's Batman voice did actually bug me a little bit.

Overall, I was disappointed. If I had to be Roger Ebert for a day I would give it a thumbs up and a recommendation, but if it weren't for Heath it would have been a slightly forgettable summer action movie.

One more time:

heath-ledger.jpg

:(

I had a really hard time hearing/understanding the Batman voice, most of the time.

Me too! I had a hard time with that in the first movie, too.

Holy crap, was I blown away by the movie. My only very minor quibble was that it felt a little bit too long ... although I couldn't even begin to guess what they could have taken out. But it was just fantastic. So, so very dark. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I gasped many times, was on the edge of my seat through probably the entire second half of the movie. The theater's reaction to the BatPod - trailer truck scene's ending stunt was great - I love the applause that breaks out when something is just that awesome. Ditto when Gordon appeared again.

I didn't have a problem with Aaron Eckhart's acting, I thought he was just fine. I did, however, think his Two-Face makeup was a little ridiculous. Not that I've ever seen someone with half their face burned off, but it looked too fake.

I was impressed with the number of people in that theater. I think it was showing on at least 4 screens, and it was just an assembly line of "let one group into the theater, start the next line-up for the next show." Unreal.

My friends and I struggled through the whole movie trying to figure out who the actress was playing Gordon's wife. Then when we saw her name in the credits, we burst out laughing. We three, gigantic X-Files freaks, had not recognized Scully's sister. Ha!

Really enjoyed seeing the trailer for Quantum of Solace and the teaser for the next Terminator flick. Helllooooo, Christian Bale!

I liked seeing Tiny Lister and Anthony Michael Hall again.:D

I didn't recognize Anthony Michael Hall, either.

I was pleased to see Cillian Murphy in a brief cameo in the beginning - that was nifty.

saw it on thursday night. what can i say -- the joker was amazing. unbelievable. i tried, but i couldn't even see ledger playing the joker -- it was only the joker. two-face looked incredible! maybe it was a little too unbelievable, but the thing about these new batman movies is that everything seems so real that even two-face is believable. when i first that harvey dent was in it, thought they'd throw him in at the end to set up the next movie, but i was gladly mistaken. and instead of the movie being about one or two villains trying to kill batman, the whole fucking mob was involved. brilliant.

as for the action scenes -- everyone in the theater cheered when batman flipped the joker's big rig over -- that was un-fucking-believable. i thought the part where batman 'skyhooked' the airplane in china was a little over the top, but that opening scene at the bank was really amazing.

and that part where the joker slid down the huge pile of money? fucking hilarious! haha

YES! I love those little tension-relief moments. Tense, tense, tense, ohmygodwhat'sgoingtohappennext and then a little simple "Hi." The whole audience laughed really hard at that, and it was so perfectly timed to release all that build-up of tension.

HA! And his bit with the antibacterial gel after he left the room, and fiddling with the remote as he walked away ... that whole scene was brilliant.

very good movie.

i was wondering if all the hype and praise of ledger's performance was a little over blown due to this untimely passing and all... but it wasn't. his performance of the joker really was spectacular, and it made jack nicholson's previous portrayal look quite cheesy and lame.

well done :up:

Yes. To me, this isn't a "comic book" movie... it's a crime drama in a fantastic setting. I don't want to hype this up too early, but it may very well be one of my favorite movies of the decade and in my Top 25 when all is said and done.

If Johnny Depp can at least get nominated for an Oscar for the first Pirates movie, I'm sure Heath can at least get a nom, too. Action flicks and comedies usually have no chance of winning anything - not to say it hasn't been done, but in a relatively small number.

Loved it. LOVED IT.

I had a really hard time hearing/understanding the Batman voice, most of the time. That's the one thing that bugged me pretty consistently.

I have this problem quite a bit at the movies now. I know we're all there for the spectacular effects and all and maybe the dialogue isn't that important anymore. But I'd like to know what the fuck is going on too, especially when I see the actor's mouths moving. Maybe throw in subtitles for all us hard of hearing. :tongue:

I know, off topic. Maybe we'll go see this today, it seems to be :combust:

:)

That interrogation scene might be the best acting Ledger did in the whole film. Getting the living shit beat out of him and reacting as he did ... perfect.

Just saw it.

What can I say, I loved it. Met my expectations, which were high.

I had zero problem with Batman's voice, understood every word.

My small issue is that the last 30-40 minutes seemed rushed, that there was maybe a three hour film hiding in there. I know, I know, in this day and age with everyone having zero attention span three hours in a theater is too much, but for me, I don't care and I think the Two-face transition needed just a tad more time. But, that's a small quibble.

I loved it, loved how the tension kept getting raised. I honestly thought that every single major character was in peril and could possibly die, and that kept me on edge throughout. I cannot remember the last time I felt that much......pressure?....during a film.

As for Heath, I don't really know if he'll get a nomination or not (Not sure if I care, but I will say that if the academy does not give him a nod simply because the source material is a comic, then they're about as shortsighted and foolhardy as one can be), but, he totally inhabited his character, and when an actor makes you forget that you're looking at a professional and not the character itself, that's impressive.

I saw it on IMax, which added to the whole experience. Oh, and like WHA, seeing the Chicago street scenes and such brought a smile to my face, even if I'm still relatively new to the city.

I look forward to seeing it again in the next week or two, it was fucking great.

Well observed on Harvey Dent, NSW. I felt like his storyline was enough to carry over into another film, and we really should have spent more time dealing with Two-Face's struggle. But Eckhart was good enough to make me buy what was there.

If Ian McKellen can get a nomination for LOTR, then I think Heath shouldn't have a problem. Now granted Fellowship was given a bunch of other nominations, but who knows what will happen? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that TDK could get major recognition. I mean, what was the big deal about The Fugitive? It was just a well-made thriller, certainly not very deep. If that film can get Best Picture, Director, Screenplay noms, than TDK should be able to as well.

Personally, I doubt I'll see more than one or two better films the rest of the year.

When I left the theatre I felt too exhausted to see it again, but I think I'm jazzed up already, and will probably go back within a day or two.

Apparently there is a 3 hour cut of this movie around somewhere. Maybe it'll get released as a director's cut?

I would've loved to have seen a better transition from Dent to Two-Face also, but there was enough there at I bought it.

And "Gordon's death" shocked the hell out of me. My friend that I saw it with, who doesn't know Batman all that well, was nonplussed about it. When you see Gordon again after capturing The Joker, the entire audience cheered.

I could never see it again today, it's going to sit with me for the rest of the day....but, in a few days, I'll be wanting to go. A lot of my coworkers, the ones that saw it already, are talking about going to see it later in the week....I'll join in for sure.

I bought the transition, it was not THAT abrupt to me, just thought it could have used a little more time.....director's cut???? :)

Back
Top Bottom