The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha! I should have figured ... the Imax theater in Seattle is sold out all week for the popular 7:00 show.

I might have to come up with a surprise doctor's appointment this week and leave work early enough to catch the 4:00 show. :angel:

I went back in time to look at when it was first announced that Ledger would be The Joker and checked the reactions on Interference.

Turns out, everyone either found it puzzling or hated it.

You are nothing if not THE HISTORIAN. I wonder if I found it puzzling, or if I hated it.

I did not see you comment.

Almost everyone was disappointed it wasn't Paul Bettany.

But reactions included, "I can't stand Heath Ledger," ":|," "this could be another Batman & Robin," and "what a complete CRAP choice."

Canadiens put it best: "Hopefully Ledger will surprise everyone..."

I think I was pretty intrigued/interested/hopeful with the news, though I haven't gone back to look at my post.

Just got back from the movie. Holy friggin' crap. I'll read through this thread tomorrow. Just wanted to say 'fuck yeah.'

I've only skimmed the last few pages so as to not be spoiled in case anything was there (generally there wasn't). I'll read the whole thread after I see the movie. I don't think I can wait much longer to see this! I'm sneaking out alone for a 9:30pm showing :shifty:

I did not see you comment.

Almost everyone was disappointed it wasn't Paul Bettany.

But reactions included, "I can't stand Heath Ledger," ":|," "this could be another Batman & Robin," and "what a complete CRAP choice."

Canadiens put it best: "Hopefully Ledger will surprise everyone..."

It wasn't until Brokeback that I went back and watched Monster's Ball....I had seen Ledger in A Knight's Tale (With Bettany) and while I found that film mildly enjoyable, Ledger did not exactly blow me away. So, anyway, I think that when I heard that it was Ledger I was more intrigued than excited or disappointed, but I honestly do not 100% recall.

with all the hype and articles about TDK that has seemingly increased as the opening day approached i started feeling a little bit nervous, a bit cynical that the movie would not live up to the hype, or that it was going to be vastly overrated. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, it was like tiny holes being drilled in my brain with one of the best things I have ever seen in the big screen, yes Heath Ledger's Joker really does deserve every ounce of hype and more. He wasn't good, he was fucking amazing, it was entirely creepy and yet fascinating at once, completely despicable and charming.
It was one of those moments were you completely remove your mind from 'i am watching a movie' mentality cause you forget that it's not real. The entire movie was perfectly crafted and visually stunning, it felt heavy with darkness and intensity, if there was one word I would use to describe the film it would be : intense. I heard couple people complain that it was too long, I was so wrapped in the film that I lost sense of time. I would watch it again in a heartbeat.

holy crap, with all the hype and articles about TDK that has seemingly increased as the opening day approached i started feeling a little bit nervous, a bit cynical that the movie would not live up to the hype, or that it was going to be vastly overrated. All I can say

Now THAT'S a cliffhanger.

I was one of those who piped up that it was too long, and I'd like to take that back. When I see the words "two and a half" hours, I say to myself, "Shit, that's a long movie." But to be honest, it didn't feel like two and a half hours.

Sex and the City was two and a half hours, and that was too long - it didn't need to be that long by any stretch of the imagination. This movie needed the full two and a half hours to tell what it needed to tell.

Who knows - maybe I felt like I had to say one negative thing about it, rest I start foaming at the mouth at how awesome it was. :wink:

Two and a half hours has never seemed long to me. Maybe I've just seen a lot of long movies. But I always feel like anything more than a few minutes under two hours is underwhelming.

Packed house at the 9:30pm show on a Sunday night in the 'burbs. I was pleasantly surprised by that, and luckily there early enough to get a decent (aisle) seat.

I didn't stay for the credits :angry: , I guess I will next time 'round. I didn't read this thread enough to know that (I didn't want to read spoilers). Heard others leaving saying how amazing they thought it was. A girl next to me in the ticket line was back for her second helping.

Great movie, great acting, great action. :bow: to Heath especially. The scenes you all mentioned :up:
I couldn't believe Lt. Gordon was dead, I mean, how could they go on without him? And Rachel's death? I was surprised by that. They never found a body, right? :hmm: Oh, and a few mentioned Batman's voice - the growling. Not much of a fan of that myself.

joker_nurse.jpg

0,,5972397,00.jpg

joker1.jpg

g-ent-080314-joker-6a.widec.jpg

Just got back from seeing it, and I loved it as well, and what they said about Ledger was true. He was magnificent. Stole the show. I wonder what the response would have been like if Heath was alive today...

Sold out show at 6:00 AM yesterday here in San Diego at the Imax. Wow awesome! All the shows have been sold out for days but even the 6 am we went to sold out. Amazing!

TDK is fantastic. Kudos to Nolan, Bale, Ledger and the rest of the cast. I thought everyone did a phenomenal job. It will be one of the few movies I will purchase.

I will say, however, that I found the plot to be a little clunky in a few different places. I am eager to see Nolan's Director's Cut to see if bridges some of the gaps.

The film's brilliant, and the acting even more so--as everyone else has said so far. I'll try not to rehash what others have said, though that may be hard to do. ;)

- Somehow, after hearing how dark, twisted and disturbing the movie is, I was a little surprised to find myself unphased by the darkness. :reject: Maybe it's because I've read a lot of Batman and, well, this the kind of badness that happens in Batman books. Or, maybe it's because once I'd seen Brokeback, I had a feeling that a Nolan-Ledger Joker would be deliciously twisted. So, it's not that the darkness and maliciousness weren't exceptionally well done. I just didn't leave the theater feeling ill-at-ease. (My wife, though, had to look at a picture of our daughter (who was at home asleep) on the car ride home in order to feel happy again!)

- So many awesome moments, many of which have been mentioned already. The Joker as the nurse--fantastic! Dozens more, but I'm too lazy to rehash them, esp. as we all know what they were.

- I was really, really impressed at the way the film kept you fully engrossed and tense through the whole thing. Not a single moment where you could've said, "Here's my chance to pee." :wink: When the fat Batman swung on his noose into the window, the whole theater jumped. I was also impressed that it actually keeps you guessing. I get disappointed in a lot of films because I'll often guess what's coming well ahead of time. (example: I hated "The Man Who Wasn't There." Saw it with friends who were surprised at every turn, but I guessed every curveball 20 mins ahead of time :shrug: ). With TDK, I believed. I believed that Gordon was dead, even though I knew that they couldn't kill him. I thought I'd figured out that the driver of Dent's armored car was Batman...then he showed up. Somehow I next thought it might be Alfred...and didn't actually guess Gordon until two or three minutes before he revealed himself. Later, I fully believed that Dent would kill Gordon's son. I fully expected Batman to go after Rachel. And while I figured that each ferryboat had the other's detonator, when it came time that the civilan guy was about to push the button and blow up the prisoners, it had me wondering that maybe the Joker had given each boat its own detonator after all----what a wonderfully twisted turn that would've been!

- I think it's brilliant how much of the viral marketing for this film really fit in with the Joker's own methods. The notion of him recruiting random people--truck drivers, thugs, etc.--who don't fully know what they're involved in was reflected in the crazy-ass marketing techniques of having people show up to bakeries and get cakes with cell phones in them, then get instructions from strangers at the other end of the phone; post videos to http://www.ibelieveinharveydent.com to show support for Dent; have real-life Dent rallies in cities across the nation, etc.

- Heath Ledger. As others have said above, this film really hammers home the terrible loss the world has had in his death. To realize that he can't be here to reap the mountains of accolades. To know that there could've been so much more brilliance in the years to come. :sad: Nowhere was there any sign of anything from before---no Ledger himelf, no Gabriel from 'The Patriot,' no Ennis---just pure, 100% The Joker, as if he'd always played the role and the role was always played by him. (I've felt the same about Gary Oldman's Gordon since the first film, though the Joker is more fun to watch and appreciate.) I think it was Oldman or Michael Caine who noted how Ledger gave such a brilliant up-close performance. It's not the tongue thing (which seems to be a common ploy used in psychotic villain characters--i.e., Wormtongue). It's his face and delivery of the line: "It's not about the money...It's about the message," said almost to himself. It's the moments when he's trying to persuade Batman, when he does persuade Dent---those moments are where you see the depth of the Joker, understand and wonder at his ability move people to believe that maybe his insanity isn't quite so insane. Those moments, and the times when he flippantly, yet so very convincingly, changes the stories of the origin of his scars; confidantly applauds Gordon on his promotion, etc; they're the times that make you wonder whether he's so insane he's making sense or that he sees the world so damn honestly that he's completely insane. And it's the delivery of this depth of character that makes Ledger's performance so damn incredible.

My moment to say that was when, at Bruce Wayne's party, Rachel and Bruce stepped aside to have A Moment, or whatever. I peed ... and totally almost missed the Joker crashing the party!

Damn my small bladder.

Having not caught up with Lost past season 2, I prefer to remember the Mayor as 'Batmanuel' from the Tick live-action series:

Batmanuel%202.jpg

:lol:

Actually, he reminds me a lot of the irritatingly annoying singer of Maroon 5. :yuck:

Seriously. Doesn't he know that no one's used the term 'metrosexual' since the first season of "Queer Eye?" :tsk:

Nice post/review Utoo :up:

Alicia? :tsk: Pee before the movie woman! Or at least during the previews for goodness sake!

I didn't get the Quantum of Solace trailer :angry:

Alicia? :tsk: Pee before the movie woman! Or at least during the previews for goodness sake!

Don't get me started, woman.

I peed three times before the movie started (once when we got in line, again right after we were let in, and again before the previews). I even planned ahead of time and didn't have much to drink with my dinner.

Believe me, I do plan for these things. I can't help it. Don't judge me! :sad:

Back
Top Bottom