The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YES! I love those little tension-relief moments. Tense, tense, tense, ohmygodwhat'sgoingtohappennext and then a little simple "Hi." The whole audience laughed really hard at that, and it was so perfectly timed to release all that build-up of tension.

HA! And his bit with the antibacterial gel after he left the room, and fiddling with the remote as he walked away ... that whole scene was brilliant.

I loved the little "Hi." Sort of like a little kid who just broke something. It was perfect.

Apparently there is a 3 hour cut of this movie around somewhere. Maybe it'll get released as a director's cut?

I would've loved to have seen a better transition from Dent to Two-Face also, but there was enough there at I bought it.

And "Gordon's death" shocked the hell out of me. My friend that I saw it with, who doesn't know Batman all that well, was nonplussed about it. When you see Gordon again after capturing The Joker, the entire audience cheered.

I really don't know much Batman, but it shocked me because I knew he was supposed to become commissioner.

Rachel's death shocked me, too, until I found out later that she wasn't in the comic books. Oh.

I saw it in the middle of the afternoon, so it was a relatively small crowd composed of mostly families, and there wasn't much reaction. I NEED to see this with a bigger crowd at some point.

The only reaction the crowd had the whole movie was when The Joker said "Hi" to Dent in the hospital.

I thought the transition of Two Face sort of made sense with the character though. The entire film, he was a really quick decision maker, for better or worse. The fact that he continued acting quickly on all his decisions kind of fit, although I agree more time would potentially have benefited him.

I could never see it again today, it's going to sit with me for the rest of the day....but, in a few days, I'll be wanting to go. A lot of my coworkers, the ones that saw it already, are talking about going to see it later in the week....I'll join in for sure.

I bought the transition, it was not THAT abrupt to me, just thought it could have used a little more time.....director's cut???? :)

I'm going to see it at least one more time and then I'll be good. This is one I'll be watching over and over on cable and DVD when the time comes.

I'm just glad we got to see a grand film like this made with relatively no studio interference... at least it appeared to be that way.

I really don't know much Batman, but it shocked me because I knew he was supposed to become commissioner.

Rachel's death shocked me, too, until I found out later that she wasn't in the comic books. Oh.

I saw it in the middle of the afternoon, so it was a relatively small crowd composed of mostly families, and there wasn't much reaction. I NEED to see this with a bigger crowd at some point.

The only reaction the crowd had the whole movie was when The Joker said "Hi" to Dent in the hospital.

Biggest crowd reactions when I saw it:

Batpod fucking up that truck then flipping off the wall.

Joker making the pencil disappear. Yeesh.

Joker saying "hi" to Harvey Dent.

Gordon popping up after everyone thought he was dead.

I'm going to see it at least one more time and then I'll be good. This is one I'll be watching over and over on cable and DVD when the time comes.

I'm just glad we got to see a grand film like this made with relatively no studio interference... at least it appeared to be that way.

Same here....twice in the theater, then I'll DVD it up and cable it down.

Grand film indeed. Jesus, everytime the Joker popped up I had no idea who would die, and how they'd die, etc......fuck.

I just remember seeing that hospital blow up and thinking, "This is way more destruction than I ever thought a movie villain would create ... holy shit, that's fucking unreal."

Biggest crowd reactions when I saw it:

Batpod fucking up that truck then flipping off the wall.

Joker making the pencil disappear. Yeesh.

Joker saying "hi" to Harvey Dent.

Gordon popping up after everyone thought he was dead.

Those and every other Joker scene got a huge reaction from my crowd.

Same here....twice in the theater, then I'll DVD it up and cable it down.

Grand film indeed. Jesus, everytime the Joker popped up I had no idea who would die, and how they'd die, etc......fuck.

I love how this film was not afraid to do something completely outrageous... and it knew when to do it, and it did it when the time was right.

My crowd, we got hustled into the theater 10 minutes before the show began....so there was a lot of chatter during the Watchmen trailer and such...but, as soon as the film began, I have to say, everyone shut the fuck up and nobody made a fucking noise, at all, unless it was laughter, be it from amusement or just nervous laughter. Nobody got food, nobody went to the bathroom, nothing.

After sleeping on it and thinking about it a little bit more..yeah the last 30 minutes still sucked.

But the most memorable sequence for me?

Heath's first real introduction...where he struts into the mobster's meeting with that crazy cackle. He then does his little "magic trick" with the pencil, tells the mobsters whats up, and then kicks the door open behind him while holding the grenade trigger.

Hilarious. Perfect. Great scene.

If spoilers ever bothered me even a little bit, this thread would have fucking killed me by now.

Now you finally understand why I kind of scoff at SEPTA.

SEPTA could kick the ass of Thomas Wayne's train any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Those and every other Joker scene got a huge reaction from my crowd.

I love how this film was not afraid to do something completely outrageous... and it knew when to do it, and it did it when the time was right.

The Joker understood David Bowie's advice about the make up. Bret ... not so much.

My crowd, we got hustled into the theater 10 minutes before the show began....so there was a lot of chatter during the Watchmen trailer and such...but, as soon as the film began, I have to say, everyone shut the fuck up and nobody made a fucking noise, at all, unless it was laughter, be it from amusement or just nervous laughter. Nobody got food, nobody went to the bathroom, nothing.

I legitimately had to piss for the last two hours and fifteen minutes of the film and didn't move.

After sleeping on it and thinking about it a little bit more..yeah the last 30 minutes still sucked.

But the most memorable sequence for me?

Heath's first real introduction...where he struts into the mobster's meeting with that crazy cackle. He then does his little "magic trick" with the pencil, tells the mobsters whats up, and then kicks the door open behind him while holding the grenade trigger.

Hilarious. Perfect. Great scene.

I think every Joker scene is very memorable.

I loved the "Shining"-esque build of music during the more intense scenes. It also reminded me of some of Jonny Greenwood's score of There Will Be Blood.

Oh, you knew when shit was going down thanks to that music.

The other big reaction scene was when Morgan Freeman replied to the guy trying to blackmail Bruce Wayne.

Oh, you knew when shit was going down thanks to that music.

The other big reaction scene was when Morgan Freeman replied to the guy trying to blackmail Bruce Wayne.

Yes! I hope Lucius comes back for the next one.

Did any of you guys catch that little nod to Catwoman when Lucius was showing Bruce the "new" suit. He says something about being attacked by dogs, then Lucius said something about watching out for cats, too. I giggled.

Gordon: It's ... Bruce Wayne, right? That was a really brave thing you did there.
Bruce: What, trying to catch the light?

I just remember seeing that hospital blow up and thinking, "This is way more destruction than I ever thought a movie villain would create ... holy shit, that's fucking unreal."

When they blew up the Brach's candy factory (Gotham Hospital) last summer it made all the local news casts. I remember thinking, "holy shit, this is going to be good." No CGI needed for that one.

We got to our theater about 45 minutes early and there was a line. Unfortunately for my sister the kid, probably 14-15, sitting next to her smelled like BO and the chick he was with talked a lot during the movie. :| Thankfully I couldn't smell him but I could hear her inane chatter from time to time. She was shushed a few times which was good and I was able to block her out.

I love Nolan's belief in using as little CGI as possible. Makes it so much better.

Oh man, that scene with the truck and the BatPod ... shit, maybe I do need to see this again sooner than I was planning.

The music used during the tense scenes, that growing buzzing noise ... it was perfect. At first I didn't know what the sound was, but then it just clicked and was perfect.

And I'm a sucker for the Big Moments like this, but the very ending, as he rides away, and the music crescendos. Chills, dude. CHILLS.

At first, there were a lot of people laughing very loudly during everything the Joker did - which, yeah, okay, but some of it made me cringe. Like it was shocking, not funny. But thankfully, that settled down a bit, and then the audience was totally in it all together.

God, it was SO GOOD.

Question:

Did Harvey die at the end, or was his death faked to save his image?

When they blew up the Brach's candy factory (Gotham Hospital) last summer it made all the local news casts. I remember thinking, "holy shit, this is going to be good." No CGI needed for that one.

Thanks for sharing this

I knew it was a real building (there is waaaay too much cgi, these days)

It did not really look like the main hospital in a city.

It looked more like some old obsolete building (with a face lift) ready for demo

but, that being the case, it was still 10 times better than any cgi would have been

Apparently GAF didn't get drunk enough with his friends before the show, and his buzz wore off before the last 30 minutes.

Only sane explanation.

Back
Top Bottom