Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I get what you are saying.

But, for me it is all a question of time.

There are so many "other" books and films that will go unread and unseen by me.

I did watch both "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" in the theaters a 2nd time this last year and got more from each film.

I may re-read Lolita, sometime in the future.

I did take my 30% coupon to "Border Books" yesterday and buy the "Watchmen" graphic novel. I am trying to absorb the images along with just reading the captions, so I get the full story. I do not have a lot history with reading comics. So this is a new process for me.
I understand the "time" issue, but I'm not encumbered by it, luckily. I stay up late, and so even when I find myself busy with work and softball and actually being social, there's plenty of time for me to watch/read the things that I want to. I have been a night owl since I was a little kid. I also read quickly, so that helps.

Watchmen is a great place to start, or perhaps re-start in your case. I hope you enjoy it. I read it due to Laz recommending it less than a year ago, so, I came to that party late, too, but I'm glad that I did.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Same here.

I'm just not a big enough movie buff to care to see something twice. And I'm a more physical person and don't really enjoy sitting for 2-3 hrs at a time. So with my limited free time, I'd rather do other things than go see something I've already seen.
I manage to do other things, too, thankfully.....for such a boring and lame person, I have broad interests that also include physical activities (No, Laz, this is not where you utilize innuendo).

But, we had this conversation ages ago, no, when I got on your case for not making time to read novels because you were reading like 1,000 pages a day for school.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I think it's retarded that the film is #1 on IMDB? That's all I've "whined" about regarded this film so far.

I am pissed
WALL-E is only number twenty fucking three ?

If WALL-E does not get a best actor nomination - the whole process is corrupt!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 PM
I do believe your sarcasm is lost on me.

I know it's there though somewhere.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Did not mean to single you out.

Yes, there is a bit of irony or sarcasm.

to think out that of the Hundreds of Thousands of films ever made
there are 22 that are better than WALL-E, can that be possible ?

and the articles calling for an Oscar for Heath
are a bit much.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, agreed on both points. I liked Wall-E a lot, but is its place deserved? Absolutely not. But the same can be said for most films on that list, which is why I often ignore it. But it's still shocking to see something usurp the great Godfather, much less that something be a friggen Batman movie. Strange.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #142
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
I still rate the list for the sheer variety of films from all genres, years and countries (definitely not the ordering), but it does get ridiculous with some of the more hyped blockbusters debuting high each year.

But I share your surprise that The Dark Knight knocked The Godfather off it's perch, I don't even think any of the LOTR films managed that feat.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

The Godfather has been #1 for as long as I can remember ever using IMDB at the very least, which has been at least 4 years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LOTR films broke into the top 4 or 5 at the height of their popularity, but I doubt that even reached #1.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #144
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Ditto. When I first checked it at length about three years ago ROTK was #5, FOTR in the teens and then TTT in the 20s, but they probably started higher up like you said.

I really should leave all this Dark Knight stuff alone, I really want to enjoy it but I think all of the hype and near universal praise is going to make me criticise and nitpick more than I would have otherwise.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 PM
"Johnny Fontane will never get that movie! I don't care how many dego guinea wop greaseball goombah bastards come out of the woodwork!"
Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe, but I also think the greater a film is/appears to be, the more deserving it is of intense scrutiny and criticism... in a thoughtful constructive way mind you.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #147
Refugee

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Fantastic film. One of the best movie adrenaline rushes ever. There was never a chance to catch your breath -- the action just kept on coming. Heath Ledger's performance was as good as all the raves. Unfortunately, he makes Batman seem boring in comparison.

I didn't care for the Two Face angle very much, and I would have liked the movie even more if the Joker had key lieutenants he trusted (it takes a big organization to cause so much mayhem that requires so much advanced planning -- yeah, yeah, it's a cartoon world, I know). As it was, it seemed like he picked up all his help from the mental wards.

9 out of 10. I usually don't like comic book movies all that much, but this is certainly one of the best of the genre that I've seen, if not the best.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I manage to do other things, too, thankfully.....for such a boring and lame person, I have broad interests that also include physical activities (No, Laz, this is not where you utilize innuendo).

But, we had this conversation ages ago, no, when I got on your case for not making time to read novels because you were reading like 1,000 pages a day for school.
Haha. I guess it's just that I can always think of something else to do instead of spending another 2 hrs at a movie so that's why. And honestly, I don't really love movies enough to care to dissect them like you guys - I go watch them for entertainment most of the time so that's why also.

And I finished a book just today.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

I used to see movies in the theater multiple times, and there are many movies I've watched again and again on TV or DVD, but it's been a long time since I've seen a movie more than once in the theater. But this one? This one, I'm seeing again. I'm aiming for Tuesday night at the Imax, with one of the same friends I saw it with on Friday! I can't wait.

It's funny - I was sad when Heath died, but didn't find myself overly sad and caught up in the tragedy of it all. I know people react differently to these things, and different celeb deaths hit different people, but I thought it was sad and moved on.

After seeing TDK and then catching much of Brokeback Mountain on cable last night, it's finally hitting me more than it had been. What a horrible waste of such a talented man. What a shame.

(But still - cannot WAIT to see it again!)
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #150
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:59 PM
I have this huge write-up planned for this, but I'm still not 100%. It'll be here soon though, along with some other random ones.

Tags
dark knight