The Colbert Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got back home today after going to Tallahassee this weekend. Stephen Colbert was the headliner for the FSU Pow Wow (the pep rally the night before our homecoming game). He was great! We even got The Word :hyper:. Ticketmaster was nice to me this time (I guess to make up for so-so U2 karma) and my sister and I had front row seats, dead center! :up:

I'm lazy (plus I did all the driving 4 hours there and 4 hours back), so I'll quote her post on televisionwithoutpity about the experience :shifty: :
Hey all, just got back from Tallahassee. The best part of the entire weekend was, of course, Stephen. After seeing him at the Powwow, the game was kind of anti-climatic.
SheTv already did an excellent recap (her quotes are below), so I'll just try and add my memories of the night.

SheTv: "He did a couple of jokes that I remembered from the show (i.e., how today's generation was coddled growing up, protected from danger, while his mother stacked her 11 children in the back of the Vista Cruiser like cordwood and then chain smoked Kents while taking them to school)
Lots of college-related humor (read: alcohol and weed related)"

One of my favorite parts was when he told us the insults we could use against Western Michigan. He lead the audience in a sing-a-long of the line "I gotta gal in Kallamazoo" and the response was: And she's your MOM. I also liked the joke about Jeff Bowden (who was FSU's offensive coordinator, just resigned, and whose contract was bought out for a great deal of money). Stephen said, "I understand you have an open position for offensive coordinator (audience shouts of: You do it, Stephen!) Now I can't take the job, but you can pay me 100,000 dollars not to do it."

SheTv: "At a quiet moment, some woman in the audience screamed to him "I love you Stephen; I want you to have my babies." This cracked him up and he asked her how she would go about putting her babies into him. He said it sounded very painful."

That girl was right behind me - part of a very drunk group. We actually got good seats and mimed to Stephen the drinking motion in regards to them... He said something like, "What, I should drink more?" My sister, god bless her, got awesome seats - front row center! Which leads me to...

SheTv: "He did a "The Word" bit about the State of Florida, and the bullets were on huge screens at the sides of the stage."

I caught "The Word"!!! At the end, when Stephen threw his notes into the audience, I grabbed for something...anything...and ended up catching the notes to "The Word"! My sister may have got her shirt signed by The Edge and Bono at a U2 concert, but I have an authentic copy of "The Word" that came from Stephen's hot hands to mine!

SheTv: "It was a great show all around and the Tallahassee audience was very appreciative."

Yes, it was. It was really the best part of Homecoming. Pictures will be forthcoming (even though alot of it's already up on youtube from people anyway) soon...let's hope CVS doesn't screw them up. And if I can get the scanner to do it, I will try and scan "The Word" that I caught:)

:hyper:

The scans are unreadable, but who cares! Front row & dead center :drool: Very happy for you!!! :hyper:

Edited: Watched the clips :drool: The Word (as always) :lol:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
:hyper:

The scans are unreadable, but who cares! Front row & dead center :drool: Very happy for you!!! :hyper:

I don't know why the scans don't work, they look big enough on my pc. How about this:

word1.jpg

:happy:

Just so you know, Comic Relief 2006 was last night. Stewart/Colbert portion was filmed. I believe it was close to about one hour into the show. I haven't seen it on You Tube yet, but did see it last night. Love them boys! :lol:

Mo 11/27: Jim Lehrer
Tu 11/28: Nora Ephron
We 11/29: Harry Shearer
Th 11/30: Mike Lupica

Mo 12/4: Will Wright
Tu 12/5: Steven D. Leavitt
We 12/6: John Sexton
Th 12/7: Dr. Francis S. Collins

Did anyone see Stephen on Charlie Rose last night? I missed the first few minutes of it, but it was really intersting. A lot of stuff I'd already heard from him being interviewed before, but I always find it interesting to see the contrast between his real personalitye and the character on the show.

He told an great little story about his decision to change the pronunciation of his name. When he tranferred to Northwestern he took off as ColBERT and landed Colbert.

"Truthiness" named Word of the Year

An online survey by Merriam-Webster yielded 2006's Word of the Year: "Truthiness."

"Truthiness" was credited to Comedy Central satirist Stephen Colbert, who defined it as "truth that comes from the gut, not books."

"We're at a point where what constitutes truth is a question on a lot of people's minds, and truth has become up for grabs," said Merriam-Webster president John Morse. "`Truthiness' is a playful way for us to think about a very important issue."

:rockon:

Do any other Decemberists fans think this whole Colbert fiasco is amazing?

I keep saying he should get Time magazine's person of the year. People think I'm joking but I'm really not...starting from that AMAZING White House Press Corps deal through the campaign, he got the word of the year, was in Time's 100 most influential, one of People's sexiest, named #1 most influential person in the media, I mean come on. This has been the year of Colbert. He got a freaking bridge in Hungary named after him.

mabel said:
Did anyone see Stephen on Charlie Rose last night? I missed the first few minutes of it, but it was really intersting. A lot of stuff I'd already heard from him being interviewed before, but I always find it interesting to see the contrast between his real personalitye and the character on the show.

He told an great little story about his decision to change the pronunciation of his name. When he tranferred to Northwestern he took off as ColBERT and landed Colbert.

This was on in Hawaii from about 11:00-12:00pm on Friday night. I was so exhausted, plus I had to get up in about 5-6 hours to get ready for the GA line. I wanted to watch so badly, but I couldn't, and I couldn't call home to see if hubby could tape it. I hope it airs again :(

Back
Top Bottom