The Bi-Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw it on Friday with my sister. I really liked it. I am normally a crier but this one didn't get me. I thought the young Benji looked amazing.

I actually experienced a flash of real fear when the u-boat surfaced. It was very surreal.

So, it was very polished, sharply filmed and methodical in that attractive Fincher way. The performances were all top notch and the music was excellent. I thought Roth's screenplay really held the whole thing back from being great though. The whole bit back and forth from the hospital, tying in Hurricane Katrina to no effect, and a general sort of aimlessness in the narrative left me a little less than satisfied in that regard. The film felt unsure of itself thematically, and despite the promise over and over again throughout the plot of going somewhere genuinely meaningful, it continually found a new digression or moved on to something new. Sure the ending was a bit tear-jerky-ish in a nice if sentimental way, but I didn't leave the film having felt as though I really got anything substantial from it. But it's a well-made if not finely-written tale with good music and lots of pretty images.

I still liked it well enough.

So, it was very polished, sharply filmed and methodical in that attractive Fincher way. The performances were all top notch and the music was excellent. I thought Roth's screenplay really held the whole thing back from being great though. The whole bit back and forth from the hospital, tying in Hurricane Katrina to no effect, and a general sort of aimlessness in the narrative left me a little less than satisfied in that regard. The film felt unsure of itself thematically, and despite the promise over and over again throughout the plot of going somewhere genuinely meaningful, it continually found a new digression or moved on to something new. Sure the ending was a bit tear-jerky-ish in a nice if sentimental way, but I didn't leave the film having felt as though I really got anything substantial from it. But it's a well-made if not finely-written tale with good music and lots of pretty images.

I still liked it well enough.

Wow, I agree with every word of this. Very much how I experienced it.

Saw this last night and have to admit it was pretty damn good! :ohmy: Even my husband loved it and he wasn't excited when I first mentioned going and see this movie. Would go as far as to say it's one of the best movies I have ever watched. I didn't cry though I really choked up quite a bit. The ending almost got me it was close.

Wow, I agree with every word of this. Very much how I experienced it.

me three.

saw it tonight, and had to sit in the very front row (*hate* that, that happened with "the departed") so that might have detracted from the overall impression, but the total aimlessness of the whole thing did bother me.

that said, the filmmaking on display was stunning. some surpassingly beautiful images in there, particularly the last one with the water and the clock.

it moved me to tears, but more because of my own issues with certain shit that this movie touched upon, and less so because i was genuinely feeling for the characters in the film. Cate was great, as has been noted.

i've never thought that Pitt is much of an actor, but i think he has integrity and he picks interesting films. friday night we watched "assasination/jesse james" and that put me in a foul mood for hours, and not really in a good way, but i respected the film because it made no apologies for being just about the most bleak, despairing film experience i've had in a while.

Saw it last night and quite enjoyed it. The makeup was FANTASTIC as was both Pitt's and Kate's aging. There is one HUGE FLAW that keeps knawing away at me concerning the timeline...near the end when Benjamin Buttons dies as an infant the narrarator (who is Kate/the old woman in the bed) says it was 2003. This makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER considering the deathbed scene is 2005!!! She could NOT HAVE AGED that much in two years. I can't believe they let that slide. Lazy, Lazy, Lazy.

I aws under the impression that Daisy was terminally ill, with cancer or whatever she had, and that caused her to look a lot older and more fragile than she normally would have become in 2 years. I don't think that's too much of a stretch. :shrug:

Saw it last night and quite enjoyed it. The makeup was FANTASTIC as was both Pitt's and Kate's aging. There is one HUGE FLAW that keeps knawing away at me concerning the timeline...near the end when Benjamin Buttons dies as an infant the narrarator (who is Kate/the old woman in the bed) says it was 2003. This makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER considering the deathbed scene is 2005!!! She could NOT HAVE AGED that much in two years. I can't believe they let that slide. Lazy, Lazy, Lazy.

It's spelled GNAWED, in 2003, 2005 and 2009!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom